How can I install Firefox on iPad 2 that has iOS 9.3.5?

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
Tenaya43a

How can I install Firefox on iPad 2 that has iOS 9.3.5?

Post by Tenaya43a »

Hi,

I'm a long time Firefox user - - - on Windows and Android. I was just given an iPad 2 that has iOS 9.3.5 (13G56), the latest update for iPad 2. I don't care for Safari or any of the third-party browsers in the Apple Appstore (compared with Firefox on Android, they all seem hobbled and primitive). What I would really like is Firefox on the iPad 2 (and sync bookmarks, etc with my Windows 10 machine).

I found "Firefox: Private Safe Browser" in the App Store on the iPad 2, but when I try to install it, the Appstore pops up a message saying "Firefox: Private Safe Browser" is not compatible with this iPad.

Is there a version of Firefox that IS compatible? If so, where can I download it, how would I get it onto the iPad and how would I install it?

Thanks,

Tenaya

PSS: I asked this question on the iOS section of the Mozilla Support forum a few days ago and got no replies, not even a "You can't do that". :-k -Tenaya
LIMPET235

Re: How can I install Firefox on iPad 2 that has iOS 9.3.5?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to the Mobile forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
kerft

Post by kerft »

If you are able to install a version of Firefox, you might be able to sync bookmarks. But, all browsers on apple devices are required to use only the safari rendering engine. So, many of the benefits you might expect to get from a browser - smoother scrolling, lower power usage, etc, are limited or do not occur. To get old versions of apps, see here, especially the second reply: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... -an-iphone
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

You just might need to update the IOS, to version 11 or 12, and then see if you can download and install Firefox. See if that works for you. I’ve had Firefox installed for a long time, and it’s synced with my desktop pc. There are times that when you select a link it will open up in Safari, but, that’s because of how Apple has the devices setup, to use Safari and not a third party browser. But, I use Firefox 95% of the time, for most everything else. 8-)
James

Post by James »

The minimum iOS version required early on was iOS 8.2

Then for Firefox 10.0 and later for iOS the minimum as been iOS 10.3 though it is best to have iOS 12+ to fully support features.

The current Firefox version for iOS devices is Version 16.0

The system requirements for Fx 15 for iOS is at https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/ios/15. ... uirements/
Tenaya43a

Post by Tenaya43a »

CaJazzman wrote:You just might need to update the IOS, to version 11 or 12, and then see if you can download and install Firefox. See if that works for you.
I'd LOVE to update to any iOS version above 10; Firefox isn't the only problem app. Unfortunately, Apple abandoned the iPad 2 after releasing 9.3.5 (which I have).
kerft wrote: If you are able to install a version of Firefox, you might be able to sync bookmarks. But, all browsers on apple devices are required to use only the safari rendering engine. So, many of the benefits you might expect to get from a browser - smoother scrolling, lower power usage, etc, are limited or do not occur. To get old versions of apps, see here, especially the second reply: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... -an-iphone
Using iTunes on my computer, followed by the App Store on the iPad as described at that link WORKED. The process is a little convoluted, but it's not difficult and I am now able to open Firefox and, wait for it, browse. I was also able to set up sync and got what I REALLY wanted out of all this: My desktop bookmarks are synced, including the folder structure (the bookmarks are alphabetized instead of my random-to-anyone-but-me organization, but I'll take the win - interestingly, the folders are in my original order - go figure).

kerft: THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

For the record, this version of Firefox is 8.3 (5826).

Tenaya
kerft

Post by kerft »

I'm glad to hear how it worked out.