MozillaZine

Thunderbird for Android

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
nutfieldnutter

Post Posted December 26th, 2010, 4:53 am

Will there be a version of Thunderbird for Android? I'm happy to use google mail to get my emails at the moment, but at some point it might be nice to use Thunderbird instead!
Life is a game; Cycling is serious

James

Post Posted December 26th, 2010, 3:16 pm

There are not even any test versions yet I believe for any mobile OS. The Firefox mobile builds (Fennec) is separate development as it is not really the same as Firefox version for Window/Linux/Mac that people are familiar with so it is not a matter of just building Thunderbird for to work on Android 2.*.
(*.mozillaZine.org is not Mozilla!)
The Complaint Department at Mozilla (current complaints) (<It is not a real complaint site but for jokes/testing of bugzilla).
The Complaint department link is borked until unknown time.

sabret00the

Post Posted July 20th, 2011, 4:48 am

Thunderbird for Android would be cool though. The infrastructure is in place for the UI.

shmerl

Post Posted July 24th, 2011, 3:06 pm

I'd say Mobile Thunderbird would be cool, not just for Android. Are there any actual plans to make such a project?

sabret00the

Post Posted August 18th, 2011, 7:36 am

None that I know of, have filed a bug for it[1] so, the idea should be out there and in peoples ears before soon. That said, the Thunderbird team is quite small, so if it gets off the ground any time soon or not is a whole other matter.

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=680080

cristorb

Post Posted October 24th, 2011, 8:22 am

this would be awesome to have on my android im crossing my fingers on this.

mpfeiffer

Post Posted November 2nd, 2011, 9:35 am

Hi

Does anyone have synchronisation problems with Thunderbird for Android?

Thanks

Michael Pfeiffer
Last edited by mpfeiffer on November 2nd, 2011, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoudNoise

Post Posted November 2nd, 2011, 11:33 am

Mpfeiffer-
Removed the commercial link.
Post wrangler
Notice: If you have a comment on moderation, please post here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2706389 and don't private message a mod. I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them

mickeyj4j

Post Posted November 3rd, 2011, 5:38 pm

shmerl wrote:I'd say Mobile Thunderbird would be cool, not just for Android. Are there any actual plans to make such a project?

yes there is already portable Thunderbird for windows platforms at http://www.protableapps.com the portable apps suite is great runs from a flashdrive on all windows installs truly independent of the os. portable apps suite also runs in linux with wine installed. and on mac to.
Last edited by mickeyj4j on November 3rd, 2011, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickeyj4j

Post Posted November 3rd, 2011, 5:41 pm

mpfeiffer wrote:Hi

Does anyone have synchronisation problems with Thunderbird for Android?

Thanks

Michael Pfeiffer

there is no thunderbird for android yet so we cant have sincronise problems can we. if you have thunderbird in android how and where did you get it from.

James

Post Posted November 3rd, 2011, 7:11 pm

mickeyj4j wrote:
shmerl wrote:I'd say Mobile Thunderbird would be cool, not just for Android. Are there any actual plans to make such a project?

yes there is already portable Thunderbird for windows platforms at http://www.protableapps.com the portable apps suite is great runs from a flashdrive on all windows installs truly independent of the os. portable apps suite also runs in linux with wine installed. and on mac to.

That is still the desktop version of Thunderbird. He was asking for a mobile Thunderbird that was the equivalent of the mobile Firefox (Fennac) for Android and Maemo/Meego.
(*.mozillaZine.org is not Mozilla!)
The Complaint Department at Mozilla (current complaints) (<It is not a real complaint site but for jokes/testing of bugzilla).
The Complaint department link is borked until unknown time.

pengyou

Post Posted December 4th, 2011, 2:50 am

Thanks for posting this issue. One of the most useful (IMHO) things about the ipad/iphone/mac/itouch is the ability to move files effortlessly from one to another. If someone were to create an app that would use tbird datafiles I wouldn't mind if it didn't have the same functionality as tbird. It is so frustrating using the same email/address/phone, etc in different programs and having to convert.
We love because He first loved us.
1 Jn 4:19
Come see "my kids" at www.hischopsticks.org

orizng

Post Posted December 4th, 2011, 6:35 am

If resource is available, its a good idea. If not, then focus on firefox now.

pengyou

Post Posted December 5th, 2011, 12:43 am

yes...ff is a great browser and should be on every electronic device that accesses the internet :)
We love because He first loved us.
1 Jn 4:19
Come see "my kids" at www.hischopsticks.org

stevne

Post Posted January 13th, 2012, 10:40 am

I'm seriously considering a tablet PC.. Android operating system.. Currently, Thunderbird is my mail client of choice, and seeings how there seems to be a void in the Android market place for an incredible mail client like Thunderbird, I think Mozilla would dominate if/when it comes out with their suite of products. ie Firefox, Thunderbird/Lightning, Sunbird.. I for one would be Very grateful....

Return to Mobile