Thunderbird for Android

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
CFLockwood

Re: Thunderbird for Android

Post by CFLockwood »

stevne wrote:I'm seriously considering a tablet PC.. Android operating system.. Currently, Thunderbird is my mail client of choice, and seeings how there seems to be a void in the Android market place for an incredible mail client like Thunderbird, I think Mozilla would dominate if/when it comes out with their suite of products. ie Firefox, Thunderbird/Lightning, Sunbird.. I for one would be Very grateful....

I'm in exactly the same position and didn't want to go for Apple.. It looks as if we have a long time to wait, as the TBird team is small.
Hope there's a change in options soon.
hacori

Post by hacori »

I have just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab and had considered to buy a smartphone as well. However, the lack of Mozilla applications (Thunderbird/Sunbird) or at least a good Thunderbird sync application is at this time the main reason why won't switch an insteas kee using my olt HTC P6300 with Windows Mobile 5.0 - so I really hope that Thunderbird for Android will be developed.
shmerl

Post by shmerl »

Thunderbird is being frozen altogether now, let alone any advancements into the mobile versions.
jlheureux

Post by jlheureux »

The email program on Android works just fine if you have a single identity. On Android ver. 2.2, you could have multiple identities but on ver. 4.1 Jelly Bean, that feature has been removed. For this reason, I use K-9 email as my mail program on my Nexus 7 since it provides advanced settings where you can use multiple identities. It also have many other advanced features not available of the default Android email program.

By multiple identities, I mean that my email address myname@mydomail.com on my own hosting service is forwarded to my Gmail address myname@gmail.com, but when I create a message on gmail.com and reply to a message, the address that my recipients see as my reply address is not myname@gmail.com but myname@mydomail.com.

BTW, the email program in iOS on the iPhone/iPad does allow for multiple identities.

But I still would prefer to use Thunderbird on Android, like I do no my desktop and laptop.
Zok

Post by Zok »

I'd really like to see Thunderbird on Android too. Managing my multiple email accounts is a pain right now.
jlheureux

Post by jlheureux »

Try K-9.
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Since Android is built on Linux, could the Linux version of TB work? How about if the device was rooted?
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin
shmerl

Post by shmerl »

Android uses completely different libc (bionic) and middleware (not Xorg or Wayland but their own graphical stack). Plus any such TB adaptation will require rewriting the user interface from scratch to suite small form factor of touchscreen devices. So current Linux version of Thunderbird won't help with it.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

We'd all love to see TB on Android and while K9 is improving, it isn't great yet.
colnelb

Post by colnelb »

I use the Thunderbird desktop interface on multiple computers. I have the thunderbird data files on my NAS server and use modified profile on each of the computers that points to the Thunderbird folder on the NAS. I would like to have an android desktop interface to use my android tablet with my existing installation. I agree with others that there is a developing market for Thunderbird on android.
James

Post by James »

With the much more limited Thunderbird development now days (on desktop) there is very slim chance there will be a Android version from Mozilla in near furture.
PavlosN

Post by PavlosN »

I've made the same plea for a mobile Thunderbird Lightniing here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2652839

I hope someone will undertake this project...
theGuruWithin

Post by theGuruWithin »

I too would like to second the emotion of TB on Android... Also would love some way to sync & encrypt with desktop pad laptop dual boot linux mint Win7, android devices, ETC including new Mozilla OS. We need an encrypted easy to use secure open source system to protect each other from bottom up since leadership top down has no clue to the beautifully poetic value of Freedom & Privacy through respecting boundaries!!!

](*,)
James

Post by James »

There is not going to be a Android version of Thunderbird anytime soon if ever both due to the more limited development of Thunderbird going on now and because there has been no development on any mobile Thunderbird at present.
theGuruWithin

Post by theGuruWithin »

how sad since a secure encrypted version of Thunderbird for ALL Platforms would perhaps create a secure system for encrypted emails from the storage of data to the execution of GPG.... I only wish i had enough $$$ to pay developers to be interested in further dev of secure TB ....