Reflow on zoom broken in FF 24

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
aegidius

Reflow on zoom broken in FF 24

Post by aegidius »

HI all, It seems from looking at Bugzilla that FF have deliberately busted reflow-on-zoom in Android Firefox. A perfectly intuitive feature in FF 23 (reflow text on pinch-to-zoom) has been replaced with a double-tap to reflow, and the size of the text it enlarges to is controlled by an obscure about:config setting. In my humble opinion, this change is a very backward step, and the justifications given were completely lame. I use this a lot, since I'm an Old Guy with failing short vision.

Can we please have the old reflow on zoom back? Or can we have (or can I write) an add-on that gives me the old reflow on pinch-to-zoom? Failing that, I'll have to downgrade.

Grumpy.
mbrubeck

Re: Reflow on zoom broken in FF 24

Post by mbrubeck »

This reddit thread has some info from one of the developers working on this feature:

http://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comment ... ed/cca7taf
aegidius

Post by aegidius »

Thanks for that info. I uninstalled FF, and installed the APK from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/releases/23.0/ . The old reflow on zoom is working in that version. When they come to their senses I'll reinstall from the play store. Hopefully no critical security holes get patched in the meantime :-)

Perhaps the ideal solution is an add-on to allow more customisation of the feature, so it can survive future updates?
lilsting10

Post by lilsting10 »

Unfortunately android OS has moved-on.
Currently on Android 5.1.1 on my new mobile phone, FF Mobile v23 no longer starts. It just says 'FF has stopped unexpectedly' upon opening, and then closes.

Is there any way to force FF Mobile 23 to continue working?
Or are there any other mobile browsers that automatically reflow content to fit the screen borders?