Interface on WM2003 suggestions

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
lorcro2000

Interface on WM2003 suggestions

Post by lorcro2000 »

I really wish the browser would follow the interface guidelines for WM apps much more than it does. WM apps as a rule adhere to a template that makes any new app instantly familiar - to a point - for any WM user. It's on Palm where the apps look like whatever they feel like.

While the app doing whatever it wants may actually make it somewhat easier to use after you get used to it, I do believe that Minimo should do things "properly" for several reasons.

First of all, because familiarity with the standard layout simplifies things a lot especially for casual users (ie, no one will be confused and wonder where the heck the controls are because accessing them requires a double-tap on the background - a completely non-intuitive thing for a WM machine where you either tap a link/icon or tap-and-hold - double-tapping is uncommon to say the least.) Also, through normal menus, you can add far more menus and choices since you can drill down to them from the top and perhaps add a few icons for the really major choices.

Another reason is that the current way of doing it breaks stuff. For instance, an addon I use called Magic Button doesn't work properly while Minimo is running because Minimo monkeys around with the menu bar and shoves it to the bottom and adds a keyboard icon. This also wreaks havoc with selecting what input type you want if you need to change it (ie, bluetooth keyboard, on-screen keyboard or perhaps Calligrapher.)

Instead, Minimo really should do it the way almost all Pocket PC apps do it.

Menus at the bottom, input type selector to the far right bottom and everything visually apparent with the exception of some menus that can be accessed through tap-and-hold directly on the web page.

The biggest problem with doing it this way is losing screen real estate to the controls. This is simple to work around - just make sure the program has a full-screen toggle (accessible from the tap-and-hold-anywhere menu I mention above.)

Minimo shows a lot of promise and I for one am definitely trying out every new release. Currently however it's nowhere near ready for primetime, IMHO.
Evice

Post by Evice »

The Start menu going to the bottom is odd. That usually only happens with Windows CE 2.x programs. Did the person who ported it use an outdated compiler or something?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
lorcro2000

Post by lorcro2000 »

Evice wrote:The Start menu going to the bottom is odd. That usually only happens with Windows CE 2.x programs. Did the person who ported it use an outdated compiler or something?

That was my reaction too, actually; I haven't use any Microsoft-OS handhelds from before Pocket PC came out, ie Windows CE 3.0, but I vaguely remember that behaviour as being something from the CE 2.x series.

I really dislike it, needless to say. It adds no real benefits and it does disrupt use of the handheld.
dougt

Post by dougt »

so, yes the start menu on the bottom was terribly annoying. The short story is that we needed to wrap the WinCE compiler tools (cl, link, lib, etc.) with a custom command line application. This allowed us to trick the mozilla build system into thinking it was cross compiling from a unix-ish to unix-sh box. For example clarm.exe was wrapped with a tool named arm-wince-gcc.exe. The wrappers basically invoked the WinCE application adding the right flags we needed. One of these flags was "/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWSCE". Unfortunatly, that is all we used. What we should have used was "/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWSCE,4.20". Using this extra version info to the link command was what was required to get the system menu on the top. Of course, this is documented exactly nowhere.....

I do like hearing feedback as to what the UI should looklike. 007 seams to be much more stable and it might be something you can show to your coworkers, friends, and family without to much "geez, that sucks" feedback. There is a lot of potential here, and with your help, it can be the browser of choice for WinCE.
tange1

Post by tange1 »

well said doug, and to anyone following this thread .007 is now out. Check it out!
-- Minimo QA and Community Feedback Czar - Mozilla Foundation.
Download the latest release here:
http://www.meer.net/~dougt/minimo_ce/
Read about it here:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/
Check out the FAQ
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/FAQ.html