Why cant FF mobile play YouTube videos?

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
Baldape

Why cant FF mobile play YouTube videos?

Post by Baldape »

I know people have discussed this before, but I would like to know why Firefox for Android cant view YouTube videos? Is there some legal reason or some limitation in FF mobile? I would like to know? :?: :-k
Bockworscht

Re: Why cant FF mobile play YouTube videos?

Post by Bockworscht »

I can watch embedded Youtube Videos without problems, for several versions now.

There where indeed some problems with the youtube page itself, you had to click on the Android robot in the addres bar to start the youtube app. On the recent nightly this works automatic.

Or what exactly is your problem?
Baldape

Post by Baldape »

Bockworscht wrote:I can watch embedded Youtube Videos without problems, for several versions now.

There where indeed some problems with the youtube page itself, you had to click on the Android robot in the addres bar to start the youtube app. On the recent nightly this works automatic.

I know that you can watch embedded YT videos in FF. But I want to be able to view them in Firefox from the YouTube page.
riverman2

Post by riverman2 »

Bockworscht wrote:I can watch embedded Youtube Videos without problems, for several versions now.

Thats why FF Mobile is an bad browser and pop-ups with 10 pages garbage ads incl appstore and more all automatic

Baldape wrote:I know people have discussed this before, but I would like to know why Firefox for Android cant view YouTube videos? Is there some legal reason or some limitation in FF mobile? I would like to know? :?: :-k

Enable Youtube Player Mobile
davexnet

Post by davexnet »

I tried this too. I disabled the YT app and tried to force FF but it didn't work very well.
The main reason for using FF, in my opinion, is that you can install Ublock Origin.
JanH

Post by JanH »

I think there are plans to get Youtube video playback within the browser working in one of the next versions, but currently, it seems that on the full mobile Youtube page, Google is serving an unsupported video format to Firefox users - hence for the time being, Firefox users are still getting the simplified Youtube page which redirects to the app. Watch bug 1174784 for further developments.

Edit: Slightly reworded for clarification
xichael

Post by xichael »

I recently installed the add-on Phony to get Google Images to work properly, and I noticed that it solves this YouTube problem as well. If you've set the user agent to Android, it will play the videos on the page itself, rather than loading the embed url.

Given that YouTube and Image Search work just fine in Firefox when Google's being tricked into serving up their Chrome versions, I have to wonder if they're intentionally discriminating against 3rd-party browsers, giving us an inferior user experience in the hopes that we'll give up and start using their apps.
JanH

Post by JanH »

According to the bug I've linked to above, Youtube is aware of the issue and will fix it in the next couple of days - so fingers crossed.

Other Google search related mobile Firefox problems can be found in bug 921532, bug 1047854 and bug 1200652.

Unfortunately, as you've probably already noticed, it can take ages for Google to fix their browser-sniffing related problems, so yeah...
Baldape

Post by Baldape »

JanH wrote:According to the bug I've linked to above, Youtube is aware of the issue and will fix it in the next couple of days - so fingers crossed.

Other Google search related mobile Firefox problems can be found in bug 921532, bug 1047854 and bug 1200652.

Unfortunately, as you've probably already noticed, it can take ages for Google to fix their browser-sniffing related problems, so yeah...
Great news FF for Android now works perfectly with YouTube. :D