MozillaZine

when & how to update firefox aurora on android

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
krihsna

Post Posted October 12th, 2016, 2:22 am

my device: ls-4001
android aosp 5.1
firefox aurora 51.0a2

recently i have download & installed aurora apk from mozilla website. almost every day it gives a notification: "update available for firefox aurora. touch to download."i have disabled automatic updates in aurora.

the aurora apk was 42mb. if i update does it download again 42 mb apk file ?

what might be the location of downloaded apk ?

or by tapping the update notification, does it automatically update the aurora in background ?

what are the file size of updates ?

is there any web interface or mailing list to keep track of updates ?

any help or suggestions please.

James

Post Posted October 13th, 2016, 6:08 pm

The Aurora aka developers edition and Nightly channel builds gets checkins almost everyday. As a result there is a update each of those days. On desktop the update is a small patch unless you miss a update (by a .mar file) while on Android it is a .apk. This is the October updates for Aurora and Central which is Nightly. https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/nightly/2016/10/

Release < Beta (b#) < Aurora (a2) < Nightly (a1)

Since you downloaded from Mozilla the updates will be from Mozilla. If you got it through Google Play then I believe the updates will go through the Google Play Store from Mozilla.

JanH

Post Posted November 1st, 2016, 6:23 am

Also, the Play Store might offer incremental updates, whereas for the manual install, you'll definitively have to download the full apk each time.

Return to Mobile