removal of google/chrome and replace with Firefox android

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
tb1011

removal of google/chrome and replace with Firefox android

Post by tb1011 »

In latest update to firefox 58.0.1 on this laptop there was a popup to use Mozilla/firefox on my Moto E 2nd generation where I use google/chrome and only 1g remaining internal memory out of 8.
Yes I know upgrade to another new android or apple but for now I like this phone because of its size.
How large is file download to my moto e2 and how easy would it be to remove google/chrome/mail/play store and anything else goole and replace with firefox/thunderbird?
And yes I use TB on my laptop
Thanks
ff 11 -- tb 12 -- windows 7 -- VZ broadband 4g --xp
smsmith

Re: removal of google/chrome and replace with Firefox androi

Post by smsmith »

On my LG G6, when I go to Settings -> Apps and find Firefox, it is using 135 MB of storage and 185 MB of data.

I'm not certain you can remove Chrome, but you can clear its data to make some room on the device if you decide to use Firefox instead.

There is no Thunderbird for Android, so stick with Mail.

If you remove the play store, you cannot install or update your apps without using third party sources. And removal isn't something that can be done by "normal people".
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

hint: dont use Firefox KLAR as it is not the same as Firefox regular (58.0.1). KLAR is very limited.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I have the same phone as the OP and have Firefox 58.0.1 installed on it. The size of the app is 44MB, while the data used for it on my phone is 72MB (the latter will be different for each user).

If you haven't rooted your phone, then you won't be able to remove Chrome completely, but you could disable it, which would save some space by removing the updates. However, seeing how connected Chrome is to Android, I do wonder if it's advisable to do that. Some apps might break not being able to use Chrome for some tasks. However, you could always try and see if anything breaks, and revert back if anything does.

It's worth looking at other apps you might not need on your phone before removing something like Chrome. I have 1.7GB of free space left on my device (more if you add my current 400MB cache), which I have done by removiing some apps that I don't use.

As for Firefox KLAR (Focus), I do actually like it for its simplicity and privacy. It's not my choice for normal browsing on Android (that's Firefox), but I do use it now and then on sites that I might do transactions on, etc. It could do with a few other things, like optional bookmarking and password saving, but then that might defeat the purpose of it.
lvm

Post by lvm »

Gort wrote:If you haven't rooted your phone, then you won't be able to remove Chrome completely, but you could disable it, which would save some space by removing the updates. However, seeing how connected Chrome is to Android, I do wonder if it's advisable to do that. Some apps might break not being able to use Chrome for some tasks. However, you could always try and see if anything breaks, and revert back if anything does.
Actually android apps do not use chrome itself, they use webview (android system webview) which essentially is a chrome rendering engine with an API, but in a separate app. You can safely disable chrome, I did it quite some time ago, as well as many other google apps I don't use - youtube, maps, all of google play except the store, etc, and all I got is more storage, more RAM, less CPU usage and more battery life.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Ah, thanks for correcting me. I did suspect that might be the case, but wasn't too sure.

I've never used Chrome itself on Android (well, bar an initial look), using Firefox, Firefox Focus and Opera Mini. Like you, I have disabled quite a few of the other apps that I don't use, which has saved considerable space on my space lacking phone (8GB). So, maybe I'll be disabling Chrome, too, to save some more.

Cheers. :)