Minimo Stops Loading Pages After Three Pages

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
MPWard

Minimo Stops Loading Pages After Three Pages

Post by MPWard »

First of all, I didn't even know this was out there, and I'm thrilled!

I have this combo:

iPaq 2215
Windows Mobile 2003 (first version)
Minimo 0.12

It takes a while to load up, but it does, eventually. It's not a speed demon in moving back and forth between the software keyboard and the drop-down bar, but it isn't bad. And the single-column mode is heavenly. But...for whatever reason...it refuses to load up new web pages after about the third page.

It tries to go to the site ("Connecting..."), then that bar disappears, and you're stuck on the page you were trying to leave.

It doesn't matter if you type in a new site, or pull down the address bar, or what. It's like the browser is saying internally - "OK! 3 pages! No more! I'm not moving from HERE!" (What a concept!)

I've tried changing a bunch of settings, pretty much all you can change, and it doesn't make any difference.

Is there a reason it refuses to "go farther"?

I'm anxiously watching development of this, because if I can even get past THIS point, this may be usable for me even at this very early development stage.
MPWard

Post by MPWard »

I can't believe I'm the only person to experience this.
UnLoGiC

Post by UnLoGiC »

I actually have this problem from time to time on my X50v running WM5 although the number pages that it stops loading after varies alot.

After doing some research I have come to the conclusion that some pages makes the Minimo precess larger (eating more RAM) but when you close the tab or move on to another page the process doesnt shrink in size as you would expect therefore after loading some heavy pages my device runs out of RAM. The solution for now is simple just restart Minimo.

Maybe you have to little free ram on your device or too many applications open in the background.
MPWard

Post by MPWard »

It could be. I cleared some memory to run Minimo.

Does it run fine off of a CF card? I might try that.
Vic Small

Post by Vic Small »

Minimo runs fine off CF card, certainly worth doing as it takes approx 10MB of program memory just to run and another 2MB+ for a single tab and as UnloGic says running out of memory could well be the reason that it fails to load a new page.
I have about 10MB free with Minimo running and can usually browse with 1 or 2 tabs for 30 mins or so before it stops running.
MPWard

Post by MPWard »

Now, if only I could figure out how to get it to run on the CF Card. I moved the entire Minimo directory out of Program Files and it's locking up.
MPWard

Post by MPWard »

Update: successfully put it on the CF card (had to reinstall it on to the card).

It now doesn't stop after 3 pages.

It is now also slower than the proverbial molasses. How slow? How about 2 minutes to load each page? I'm half tempted to DRIVE to the server and have them print out a copy of the page instead of waiting.

I also just got a lockup when trying to access the preferences page.

Oh, well...call me back when this thing actually runs.