[Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Decidedly Devious

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.6- September 29, 2014

Post by Decidedly Devious »

I had 0.8.1.5 installed, assumed it was the most-current version that would work with FF 28, since it's supposed to auto-update.
Then I installed the newest FF and everything was gone.

Reinstalled FF 28 and checked the extension page to see if there were known issues, and saw the newest version of Ext. Mgr. was 0.8.1.6, so I installed it and am running it now.
Do you think export/import will work if I upgrade to FF 38 again?
Morac

Post by Morac »

Importing/exporting what, the settings?

There is no import/export for sessions. You can make a copy of the sessions folder and restore it to do the same thing though.
Decidedly Devious

Oh, I didn't check for that function, was going by what Brummelchen said above. Hmmm, sarcasm and wrong.
Now I see that function is only for use with TMP and SessionSaver.

I can easily copy the folder, but it shouldn't even be touched when updating FF, should it?
Last edited by Decidedly Devious on May 25th, 2015, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morac

Post by Morac »

No it shouldn't. The session format hasn't changed for a long time.
Decidedly Devious

Well, I don't know why updating FF caused this issue, maybe it didn't actually delete anything in the Sessions folder in my profile, but somehow caused SM to lose the location of it, so it showed no saved sessions. The location is still the same? /Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/txjjnp3w.xxx/sessions
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

no need to be rude - using old and vulnerable versions aint sarcasm, that are real facts. get a decent attitude.

at least i pointed out common ways to eliminate trouble in easy way, its up to you to go that way. no one else here has your problem with lost sessions. and while i never experienced such trouble in combination with other > 40 extensions there may mismatch between extensions (try safe mode) or the profile is damaged. you wont be the first. if you dont care - your problem to get way out.

btw SM has the option to save sessions session while they are loaded, but target folder will stay same \profiles\...\sessions (as you found out).
export to another location would be nice.

ofc there are more extensions than CTR to get the squared tabs back, simple cosmetics a serious user wont care instead being vulnerable and to endanger his data.
ZanyGamer

Post by ZanyGamer »

How to solve? Somtimes appears errros:
Данные о сессии/окне повреждены:
undefined(undefined)

undefined:undefined

and

Произошла ошибка при доступе к файлу:
Component returned failure code: 0x8007000e (NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY) [nsIScriptableUnicodeConverter.convertToInputStream](NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY)

backup.session

JS frame :: chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_file_io.jsm :: Private.writeFileNext :: line 1787
JS frame :: chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_file_io.jsm :: Private.writeFile :: line 1770
JS frame :: chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_file_io.jsm :: Private.backupCurrentSession :: line 1335
JS frame :: chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_file_io.jsm :: this.SessionIo.backupCurrentSession :: line 154
JS frame :: chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_manager.jsm :: Private.observe :: line 372
native frame :: <unknown filename> :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 0

makondo

Post by makondo »

Morac, while you're here:
makondo wrote:Morac,
i wonder if it might be possible for you to add a 'Save current window' menuitem to the toolbar context menu. I find myself constantly Rclicking a toolbar (normally tabbar) in attempt to save the current window. I guess it just seems to be somewhat 'logical' and 'natural' (to me), something like bookmarking, i suppose. I forget to click the toolbarbutton Image
Possible?
TIA!
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Kagestorn wrote:Sorry to Bother, But I really need help with my session manager. It is a very long story, but to put it simply - I can't recover my sessions. Each time I do it a have an error - with each session, either backuped or saved. (...)

Have you tried to create a new profile, install only the Session Manager addon, then (with Firefox closed) copy the session files inside the "sessions" folder in your current profile to the "sessions" folder in this new profile?
Decidedly Devious

Brummelchen wrote:no need to be rude - using old and vulnerable versions aint sarcasm, that are real facts. get a decent attitude.

Yes Brummelchen, you are rude, evidently your lack of couth doesn't allow you to recognize your rudeness. [-X

but I reinstalled 28

that sounds really stupid, bad idea
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... s/firefox/

It's not your place to tell me which version of software I should be using. People choose to use older versions for many different reasons.
I suppose you tell people who drive older cars they are fools and should purchase the newest model immediately to get the best security features?

reset your profile and start over - any other aint worth to discuss.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings

BAD ADVICE!
Resetting a profile should be the last choice if other troubleshooting methods don't work. There's nothing wrong with my current profile, thus no reason to "fix" it.

no one else here has your problem with lost sessions.

Wrong again Brummelchen! There are LOTS of posts about lost sessions.

Lost my session in Firefox! viewtopic.php?f=38&t=795355
Tabs lost after update to 31.6. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2926829
FF36 stopped remembering previous sessions. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2916887
All my session lost or close suddenly. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2902469
Lost tabs from last session, why? viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2930345
etc.
etc.
etc.
Decidedly Devious

Tonight I backed up my drive and then copied the Session Manager files to my Profiles folder to use as a backup.
I installed FF 38.0.1 and opened, and all my tabs were there and so are all my sessions. =D>

Maybe the 1st download of FF was corrupted, or maybe it was something else. Just glad everything appears to be normal now.

And sooooo happy that I didn't reset my profile as someone suggested! :roll:
globalplayer

Post by globalplayer »

@Morac

Can you please update the link to the Public Development version in the OP?
Just tried this for fun's sake, and it installed me a 0.8.12 pre-release ;)
primo

Post by primo »

Great addon - big trouble!

So far Session Manager via TabGroupManager causes error messages as soon as the pre configured backup time period is due to be saved automatically. After the error message shows up, no further session backups are possible - neither automatically nor manually - until the browser process is terminated and relaunched.

I can't really recall when these errors occured for the first time or what may have caused them, but it seems to me that Mozilla's browser updates are NOT taken into TGM's development process very well, if there is any at all recently.

1. I tried deleting and reinstalling Session Manager plus TGM on the the same FF Browser version: same errors!
2. I tried deleting and reinstalling both Session Manager and TGM to a new FF browser profile: same errors!
3. I tried by setting off all other addons one by one, to see if any of them may cause trouble as well or may serve as a trigger in conjunction: Flash proved to be a main cause for FF memory issues which in turn seem to trigger TGM / Session Manager Backup errors.
4. I tried to avoid browser updates to prevent even further trouble, but the current TGM state is buggy as hell allready: same errors!

Error messages from today (collected within 20 minutes of session):

NS_ERROR_FAILURE
Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISessionStore.getBrowserState]

File: undefined
Line: 903
Stack:
TabGroupsManagerJsm.SaveData.prototype.saveFileFromTgmData@resource://tabgroupsmanager/modules/TabGroupsManager.jsm:903:20
TabGroupsManagerJsm.SaveData.prototype.saveDataToFileInDataFolder@resource://tabgroupsmanager/modules/TabGroupsManager.jsm:658:9
TabGroupsManagerJsm.SaveData.prototype.backupByTimer@resource://tabgroupsmanager/modules/TabGroupsManager.jsm:718:2
TabGroupsManagerJsm.SaveData.prototype.sessionBackupByTimerChange/event.notify@resource://tabgroupsmanager/modules/TabGroupsManager.jsm:731:38

NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING
out of memory'out of memory' when calling method: [nsISessionStore::getBrowserState]

File: undefined
Line: 903
Stack:
undefined

Dieser Vorgang konnte auf Grund des folgenden Dateizugrifffehlers nicht ausgeführt werden:
undefined(undefined)

backup.session

undefined:undefined

-----------------------------------------------------

Session Manager: 0.8.1.6
Installed TGM version: 2014.08.21.004
FF: 35.0.1
MS Windows 7 Pro / SP1
Shockwave Flash: 17.0.0.188

Please fix! (if possible)
Thanks!
Morac

Post by Morac »

Have you tried asking the TMG author as the errors are in the TMG code.
primo

Post by primo »

Morac wrote:Have you tried asking the TMG author as the errors are in the TMG code.

Off course I did! So far no answer tho.

As the deleoper's site states, Axel Shootingstar was forced to retire from add-on development due to a national disaster affecting his country. A team of Firefox TGM users is maintaining TGM and supporting its users in accordance with his licensing terms (which doesn't seem to be very effective lately!).

I cross my fingers they will respond in a appropriate and timely manner to the latest issues of TMG, but previous experiences with their coding in response to FF's updates leaves me wondering if these errors will ever be solved from their side.