[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Virtual_ManPL

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Aris - FYI in Error Console I see this error:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 2015-11-24 20:26:02
Error: DEPRECATION WARNING: NewTabURL.override is deprecated, please set aboutNewTabService.newTabURL
You may find more details about this deprecation at: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1204983#c89
resource:///modules/NewTabURL.jsm 35 this.NewTabURL.override
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 1931 classicthemerestorerjs.ctr.init/ctrSettingsListener<
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 217 classicthemerestorerjs.ctr.init/PrefListener.prototype.register/<
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 215 classicthemerestorerjs.ctr.init/PrefListener.prototype.register
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 2180 classicthemerestorerjs.ctr.init
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 5297 null
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 2 null

Source File: resource://gre/modules/Deprecated.jsm
Line: 79
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Ach3r0n wrote:...

Yeah, so many combinations to test. I have personally experienced this when working on AIOS auto hide sidebar as I had to add adjustments for different AIOS configurations and normal / high dpi cases.

I have tested all combinations and so far no issues. It even looks good on the FT DeepDark theme.

But I think the last case should be changed to show the default globe icon + orange Firefox text for the about:config page, for people who don't like the orange brand icon, thus

favicon in location bar + empty favicon 1/2 off + Fx icon for valid chrome pages off
--> about:addons (valid chrome page with favicon) -> favicon only
--> about:config (valid chrome page without favicon) -> default gray globe icon only (+ orange Firefox text)
--> about:newtab (invalid chrome page without favicon) -> (Fx default) default gray globe icon only / info icon only (Fx45+)

I like that the empty favicon is no longer displayed for valid chrome pages, but personally I think displaying both the Firefox brand icon and the favicon for about:addons and about:preferences is too much.

As the favicon is also displayed on the active tab, I'm all for just showing the brand icon (+ orange Firefox text) for these pages in the location bar.

I have also tested the 'Do not show gray color when hovered option', but this option only works for the default classic theme. Most times I use a Persona theme or FT DeepDark theme. So that's why I didn't notice its functionality.
'But I think the last case should be changed to show the default globe icon + orange Firefox'
This is what Firefox or a complete theme does, not CTR -> CTR won't change that behavior.

'but personally I think displaying both the Firefox brand icon and the favicon for about:addons and about:preferences is too much'
What do you thing the option "Firefox icon for valid about pages" is for? ;-) Uncheck it and the brand icon is gone.

'As the favicon is also displayed on the active tab, I'm all for just showing the brand icon (+ orange Firefox text) for these pages in the location bar.'
Sorry, no more favicon changes for now.

'I have also tested the 'Do not show gray color when hovered option', but this option only works for the default classic theme'

This option should not be visible on CTR preference window, if a complete theme is used. This will be fixed on next beta.
Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ Aris - FYI in Error Console I see this error:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 2015-11-24 20:26:02
Error: DEPRECATION WARNING: NewTabURL.override is deprecated, please set aboutNewTabService.newTabURL
You may find more details about this deprecation at: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1204983#c89
resource:///modules/NewTabURL.jsm 35 this.NewTabURL.override
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 1931 classicthemerestorerjs.ctr.init/ctrSettingsListener<
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 217 classicthemerestorerjs.ctr.init/PrefListener.prototype.register/<
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 215 classicthemerestorerjs.ctr.init/PrefListener.prototype.register
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 2180 classicthemerestorerjs.ctr.init
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 5297 null
chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/overlay.js 2 null

Source File: resource://gre/modules/Deprecated.jsm
Line: 79
Thanks for reporting. This will be fixed on next beta.
Super_Mew

Post by Super_Mew »

Just adding that upgrading to the 1.4.4beta4 appears to have fixed my issue. Thanks for the assistance!
Ach3r0n

Post by Ach3r0n »

Aris, I understand your decision to not change the location bar for now. I have disabled the Firefox brand icon as you suggested. But still, if you have some spare time later on I hope you will look at this again.

The 'Do not show gray color when hovered option' is already hidden when using a full theme and after further investigation I found this option to make a very subtle change for lightweight themes.

Something else,

I like your alternative option page appearances and have switched to using Alternative Appearance v1 now, which has the benefit of less scrolling. I hope you can reduce the scrolling even more, as on some pages the scrollbar is still displayed, despite all content being visible.

And although I don't use the Open Option page in a window, during testing I found that I can't enter values directly into the width and height boxes. I can change the value to 500 and 300, but the only way to get specific values is by pressing the up/down buttons, where each value is being processed (hard disc making noises) which is very tedious.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Super_Mew wrote:Just adding that upgrading to the 1.4.4beta4 appears to have fixed my issue. Thanks for the assistance!
Great.
Ach3r0n wrote:1. Aris, I understand your decision to not change the location bar for now. I have disabled the Firefox brand icon as you suggested. But still, if you have some spare time later on I hope you will look at this again.

The 'Do not show gray color when hovered option' is already hidden when using a full theme and after further investigation I found this option to make a very subtle change for lightweight themes.

Something else,

2. I like your alternative option page appearances and have switched to using Alternative Appearance v1 now, which has the benefit of less scrolling. I hope you can reduce the scrolling even more, as on some pages the scrollbar is still displayed, despite all content being visible.

3. And although I don't use the Open Option page in a window, during testing I found that I can't enter values directly into the width and height boxes. I can change the value to 500 and 300, but the only way to get specific values is by pressing the up/down buttons, where each value is being processed (hard disc making noises) which is very tedious.
1. There is no difference between how Firefox displays identity boxes content and how CTR displays it in that case (with and without CTRs favicon option and with/without 'Fx icon for valid about pages' option). No need to change anything there.
(empty favicon 1/2 off + Fx icon for valid about pages on/off)

2. Is there any preferences area that has scrollbars with "alt. appearance", but not with "default appearance"? That option modifies some font/size values and colors, but does not remove any content. In my tests all preference pages use less vertical space than before. There are no plans to modify anything there.

3. Either use the up/down arrows to adjust the desired size or mark one digit and replace it with another one. E.g. 700 -> mark "7" -> press "6". You can not enter values below the predefined minimum ones. ---> You can't just enter 600 by pressing 6 > 0 > 0, because it would require allowing small values like "6". I don't want anybody to put in "0" and then report how "0" width/height breaks the window dimensions.
fire.Man

[bug?] disappearing window control buttons

Post by fire.Man »

CTR 1.4.3 / 1.4.4 b5
Linux Mint/KDE
tested with fresh, empty profile

just an FYI - whether i enable the movable window control buttons (min/max/close) or not, they are available in abut:customizing

the problem is when i drag the window controls to a tool bar and exit about:customizing, the buttons disappear and so they are not available - if i re-enter about:customizing, they reappear and can be dragged back into the tool box

i just moved to linux and am wanting to put the tab bar on top and get rid of the window title bar, which is easy enough, except i would prefer to have the window controls available
Ach3r0n

Post by Ach3r0n »

Aris wrote:
Ach3r0n wrote:1. Aris, I understand your decision to not change the location bar for now. I have disabled the Firefox brand icon as you suggested. But still, if you have some spare time later on I hope you will look at this again.

Something else,

2. I like your alternative option page appearances and have switched to using Alternative Appearance v1 now, which has the benefit of less scrolling. I hope you can reduce the scrolling even more, as on some pages the scrollbar is still displayed, despite all content being visible.

3. And although I don't use the Open Option page in a window, during testing I found that I can't enter values directly into the width and height boxes. I can change the value to 500 and 300, but the only way to get specific values is by pressing the up/down buttons, where each value is being processed (hard disc making noises) which is very tedious.
1. There is no difference between how Firefox displays identity boxes content and how CTR displays it in that case (with and without CTRs favicon option and with/without 'Fx icon for valid about pages' option). No need to change anything there.
(empty favicon 1/2 off + Fx icon for valid about pages on/off)

2. Is there any preferences area that has scrollbars with "alt. appearance", but not with "default appearance"? That option modifies some font/size values and colors, but does not remove any content. In my tests all preference pages use less vertical space than before. There are no plans to modify anything there.

3. Either use the up/down arrows to adjust the desired size or mark one digit and replace it with another one. E.g. 700 -> mark "7" -> press "6". You can not enter values below the predefined minimum ones. ---> You can't just enter 600 by pressing 6 > 0 > 0, because it would require allowing small values like "6". I don't want anybody to put in "0" and then report how "0" width/height breaks the window dimensions.
1. I'm not talking about the corner case of replacing the Firefox brand icon on the about:config page, when you have selected to not display brand icons. That's just something I noticed when testing all the different options. Personally I like the new brand icon and also that you improved it by adding a background color to it.

I'm talking about hiding the favicon for about:addons and about:preferences pages, as I prefer these pages to just display the Firefox brand icon (+ orange Firefox text).

Currently it looks like this on my system:

I can disable the Firefox brand icon, but then I get Favicon (+ orange Firefox text). You already explained that you will not remove the Firefox text on these pages, as it would be against Mozilla security policy.

2. I can live with that at the moment. I hope Firefox developers will improve these pages a bit. I don't visit the preferences pages that much.

3. I understand that you want some security checks on these input boxes, but is it not possible to add some checks to these boxes (maybe through background colors) and just not save any value outside the valid range.
jputting

Classic Theme Restorer & Firefox Theme Removal

Post by jputting »

Hi,

I have just read in numerous places on the internet that Mozilla's Firefox developers have announced plans to completely strip out all Firefox Themes at some unknown time in the future.

This is a part of As part of Mozilla's "Go Faster" initiative for Firefox, the company is removing features that aren't used by many and require a lot of technical effort to continually improve.

The first two features to get the axe are tab groups and complete themes which change the whole Firefox UI.

Classic Theme Restorer is of course is used to get rid of the Chrome clone style UI which I and many others simply don't like.

The question is will we still be able to use Classic Theme Restorer to restore the classic Firefox UI.

I certainly hope that this is the case as I don't wish to abandon Firefox and move to an alternative browser.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Aris wrote:Thanks for reporting. This will be fixed on next beta.
Thank you very much for instant fix. =D>
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Aris

Post by Aris »

fire.Man wrote:CTR 1.4.3 / 1.4.4 b5
Linux Mint/KDE
tested with fresh, empty profile

just an FYI - whether i enable the movable window control buttons (min/max/close) or not, they are available in abut:customizing

the problem is when i drag the window controls to a tool bar and exit about:customizing, the buttons disappear and so they are not available - if i re-enter about:customizing, they reappear and can be dragged back into the tool box

i just moved to linux and am wanting to put the tab bar on top and get rid of the window title bar, which is easy enough, except i would prefer to have the window controls available
You have to enable the option "movable fullscreen window controls" to see them on toolbars in fullscreen mode (not in normal/maximized modes). They are always visible in "customizing" mode, so users can move them to the toolbar location they want them to be in fullscreen mode.
I thought it makes more sense being able to place them anywhere before entering fullscreen mode (and customizing mode while in fullscreen mode).
Ach3r0n wrote:...

1. I'm not talking about the corner case of replacing the Firefox brand icon on the about:config page, when you have selected to not display brand icons. That's just something I noticed when testing all the different options. Personally I like the new brand icon and also that you improved it by adding a background color to it.

I'm talking about hiding the favicon for about:addons and about:preferences pages, as I prefer these pages to just display the Firefox brand icon (+ orange Firefox text).

Currently it looks like this on my system:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2dak4lk.jpg

I can disable the Firefox brand icon, but then I get Favicon (+ orange Firefox text). You already explained that you will not remove the Firefox text on these pages, as it would be against Mozilla security policy.

2. I can live with that at the moment. I hope Firefox developers will improve these pages a bit. I don't visit the preferences pages that much.

3. I understand that you want some security checks on these input boxes, but is it not possible to add some checks to these boxes (maybe through background colors) and just not save any value outside the valid range.

1. It does not make any sense to hide the actual "favicon" about:addons page provides to display the brand icon. Thats not what the favicon option is for. This behavior won't be changed.

2. Default about:preferences in content/tab was made of mobile devices and looked ugly right from the beginning. I doubt any Moz dev will spent a few minutes on css tweaking to improve it, but you can do a request on Bugzilla for that, if you have hope.

3. Yes, it is possible, but not needed. Its not like anybody has to change those values a couple of times a day. If you really need to enter whatever you want, use about:config for this:
Height: extensions.classicthemerestorer.aboutprefswh
Width: extensions.classicthemerestorer.aboutprefsww
jputting wrote:Hi,

I have just read in numerous places on the internet that Mozilla's Firefox developers have announced plans to completely strip out all Firefox Themes at some unknown time in the future.

This is a part of As part of Mozilla's "Go Faster" initiative for Firefox, the company is removing features that aren't used by many and require a lot of technical effort to continually improve.

The first two features to get the axe are tab groups and complete themes which change the whole Firefox UI.
Classic Theme Restorer is of course is used to get rid of the Chrome clone style UI which I and many others simply don't like.
The question is will we still be able to use Classic Theme Restorer to restore the classic Firefox UI.
I certainly hope that this is the case as I don't wish to abandon Firefox and move to an alternative browser.
As long as XUL is supported by Firefox, CTR should work fine. Once they move to the new engine (and remove xul), CTR won't work anymore.
Virtual_ManPL wrote:
Aris wrote:Thanks for reporting. This will be fixed on next beta.
Thank you very much for instant fix. =D>
No problem. The Bugzilla link in your post pointed to the solution, so there was not much to research. :mrgreen:
fire.Man

Post by fire.Man »

Aris wrote: You have to enable the option "movable fullscreen window controls" to see them on toolbars in fullscreen mode (not in normal/maximized modes). They are always visible in "customizing" mode, so users can move them to the toolbar location they want them to be in fullscreen mode.
I thought it makes more sense being able to place them anywhere before entering fullscreen mode (and customizing mode while in fullscreen mode).
thanks for the reply

whether the option to enable movable window controls is enabled or not makes no difference - when exiting about:customizing, they disappear regardless
Aris

Post by Aris »

Maybe this will make things clearer (I used Ubuntu 15.10 in this example, but its the same on Linux Mint KDE 17.2).

msia2k

Post by msia2k »

It seems that the white empty-dotted favicon doesnt work anymore with thet latest Nightly build (FF45).
Aris

Post by Aris »

Will be fixed on next beta.
Frosted_flake

Re:Min/Max/Close Button ambiguity

Post by Frosted_flake »

I am running Windows 10, with Firefox 42.0 and Classic Theme Restorer 1.4.3. Windows 10 is using a modified theme.
When I have a Firefox window open and move the cursor over the Windows minimize/maximize/close buttons, the selection is not what it should be.
In each case, the selected area is wider than the size of the button (by maybe 20%). It is most noticeable on the minimize button since the increased width pushes all of the selection highlights further left. That makes the selection area more than half way off the button. The normal highlight color for this Windows theme is blue, except in Firefox it is a darker color than the normal background.
It is really a problem when trying to minimize a Firefox window and it instead maximizes the window.
I probably have something setup incorrectly with CTR but I have no idea what. I don't particularly care that the highlight color is not blue but I would really like to get the width of the highlights down to what they should be, the same width as windows uses.
I do NOT have the Firefox minimize/maximize/close buttons displayed at all.
B00ze suggested: Try this in userChrome.css :
#titlebar-buttonbox .titlebar-button .toolbarbutton-icon {
display: none !important;
}
This is a fix for another problem, but it might work for your problem.
It hides Firefox's buttons, hopefully letting the OS display its own
buttons...
Me: Tried it, no change, deleted the change
I have used CTR to turn off the FF buttons
»Q« suggested: Aren't the minimize/maximize/close buttons a function of the operating system theme?
Me: Probably, but this stuff is HARD to modify in Windows 10
»Q« I know nothing of CTR. Does it also change the Windows theme?
Me: I don't think so but all others work fine, even Seamonkey
Latest: I disabled CTR and restarted FF. The min/max/close buttons work properly.
I re-enabled CTR and restarted FF. The min/max/close buttons DO NOT work properly.
Strange, with CTR enabled, the 'Library' page (i.e. History) works absolutely fine.
I have a .png (23kb) but I don't know how to attach it.