Announcing "All Tabs Helper"

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pista

Re: Announcing "All Tabs Helper"

Post by pista »

I've came back to use ATH after some time, and now I'm unable to obtain the alltabs|recent|dups|search menu on a single line in the sidebar. How can I get rid of the combobox?
avada

Post by avada »

Hi Allasso!

I've been using the search feature extensively. Found it rather cumbersome and annoying having to change back and forth via the dropdown menu.

Then I remembered that merging the search field into the "tabs" mode was already requested a while back. Did you decide against this?
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

pista wrote:I've came back to use ATH after some time, and now I'm unable to obtain the alltabs|recent|dups|search menu on a single line in the sidebar. How can I get rid of the combobox?
The combobox has always been the only UI for the sidebar view. The single-line menu only appears when using ATH in "List all tabs" menu view.

For reasons I won't go into, it is problematic to put the single-line menu in the sidebar view.
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

avada wrote:Hi Allasso!

I've been using the search feature extensively. Found it rather cumbersome and annoying having to change back and forth via the dropdown menu.

Then I remembered that merging the search field into the "tabs" mode was already requested a while back. Did you decide against this?
Hello, Avada,

Yes, I have talked about doing that. I have not had the time lately though to spend on non-critical feature upgrades. For now I suggest you use the keybindings for switching between views. The defaults are:

ctrl + e ... all tabs
ctrl + r ... recent
ctrl + d ... dups
ctrl + s ... search

(cmd instead of ctrl on Mac)

These bindings can be customized in Options > Keybindings
avada

Post by avada »

Allasso wrote:Hello, Avada,

Yes, I have talked about doing that. I have not had the time lately though to spend on non-critical feature upgrades. For now I suggest you use the keybindings for switching between views. The defaults are:

ctrl + e ... all tabs
ctrl + r ... recent
ctrl + d ... dups
ctrl + s ... search

(cmd instead of ctrl on Mac)

These bindings can be customized in Options > Keybindings
Okay. Cool. Thanks for the tip.
pista

Post by pista »

Before ATH I used Pano. Consider the following screenshot, where I compare my typical browsing sidebar with ATH and Pano:
https://postimg.org/image/4kkk7kt29/
1) Pano lists the current position number for each tab
2) Pano "merges" the alltabs and search mode (typing a character in the search box starts filtering the tabs, empting the search box returns to list all the tabs)
1) Pano uses the space in an efficient way (even if all the tabs are indented to show all the groups, the markers to close each tab are on the outer right, and as a result a large part of the page titles are shown compared to ATH).
Please consider my post as a suggestion and not as a criticism.
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

lincolnd wrote:Experiencing an issue with the ath sidebar taking focus about a second after opening a new tab.

When opening a new tab the url bar has focus, though can only type several characters into the url bar, before the ath sidebar then populates with the new tab and takes focus from the bar.

I have started adapting to just waiting and continually hitting ctrl+l after a ctrl+t to regain focus, however obviously this is less than ideal.
I have seen this occur, however I am unable to repeat it when I see it. If someone could discover a consistent steps-to-repeat it would be much appreciated. Please include every detail from startup, and include URLs of pages loaded in tabs as this may affect it.
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

pista wrote:I've came back to use ATH after some time, and now I'm unable to obtain the alltabs|recent|dups|search menu on a single line in the sidebar. How can I get rid of the combobox?
lincolnd wrote:Also can we please have option to remove the drop-down selecton box line from the sidebar?
I have added the option to use either the inline buttons or combobox in sidebar view. I will be updating ATH shortly.
Last edited by Kevin Jones on August 29th, 2016, 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

pista wrote:2) Is it possible to incorporate the search item in the alltabs item? That is, to display the search bar always so when it is empty all the tabs are listed and no other clicks are needed to pass from one view to the other one? (in case I can add a screenshot of what I wish)
I have added the option to display the searchbox in all menus. I will be updating ATH shortly.
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

yohocoma wrote:
yohocoma wrote:Hello,

Using the latest release version of ATH (and a new user of ATH since yesterday) I notice that when tabs are auto-unloaded, they migrate to the far right end of my tab scroll list. When I manually unload, they stay put. I have several tab groups and am also a user of TMP, as well as several other extensions.
Another perhaps relevant fact about my system is that I'm using FF beta 48 with e10s turned on.

-Jim
I am unable to duplicate this. Do you still get the same behavior with all other addons disabled?
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

I have updated ATH, pending review. Review queue is quite large, so it may take a little time to make release.

Changes:

Added option to always display searchbox in all menus.
Preferences > Appearance > Sidebar. Typing in searchbox will
automatically switch to search mode.

For sidebar UI, Added option to choose buttons for menu mode selection
(like that used in "List all tabs" drop-down UI) or familiar combobox.
This option can be selected in Options > Appearance > Sidebar.

NOTE: Buttons for mode selection is now the default. Those who wish to
continue using the combobox will need to select it in Options window.

Fixed assorted bugs in backend.
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

Apparently I was being too pessimistic, ATH has already been reviewed:

https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/all-tabs-helper/
pista

Post by pista »

Allasso wrote: Changes:

Added option to always display searchbox in all menus.
Preferences > Appearance > Sidebar. Typing in searchbox will
automatically switch to search mode.
Thank you for your work.
Adding the reverse would be perfect. That is, emptying the searchbox will automatically switch to all tabs mode (or, alternatively, no char in search mode lists all tabs).
avada

Post by avada »

Allasso wrote:

pista wrote:2) Is it possible to incorporate the search item in the alltabs item? That is, to display the search bar always so when it is empty all the tabs are listed and no other clicks are needed to pass from one view to the other one? (in case I can add a screenshot of what I wish)
I have added the option to display the searchbox in all menus. I will be updating ATH shortly.
Hi!

I tried it. It seems like it's rather weird (bugged?). When you type the results don't get displayed, but you need to change to the "srch" tab. (BTW is that and "dup" named like that on purpose?)
One would expect the search to be applied to the current tab, filtering the tabs. (The search tab isn't needed anymore)
A lot like how tab center (from mozilla test pilot), or even more like how Total Commander does it (with ctlr+s).
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

Ah, possibly you need to have FAYT option checked in Options window. Options > General > "Typing automatically initiates a search". Then it should automatically switch to search tab. Probably should default to that if user is using the global searchbox option.

Cannot eliminate the search tab as the main menu cannot handle content search results. I suppose there could be a hybrid version, but I am not interested in increasing the complexity of the UI that much.

If people aren't happy with the way it works I can just remove the option.