[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ultramage

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by ultramage »

I don't want the 'visit...' link. I want a "page title \n page url bookmark star" entry. Like what I had until I updated to FF53.
I managed to get it to work somehow by recreating the bookmark and directly clicking it several times. I guess I had to teach FF that that bookmark is not abandoned and should be included in the search results? Sigh.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Maybe the option to display bookmarks got disabled?
Firefox settings > Privacy > Location Bar > Bookmarks

Another explanation could be your bookmark contains a http prefix which gets forwarded to https site or vice versa.

If you can spare some time, could you post screenshots of your autocomplete results with CTRs option enabled and disabled using Firefox 52 and 53. Having four screenshots to see all different results might give me a clue why things are different in this particular case.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Aris - FYI, starting from Firefox 55, these 3 preferences: browser.tabs.animate, browser.fullscreen.animate, alerts.disableSlidingEffect;
were compacted into one: toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled in about:config
by patches from bugs: Bug 1352069 - Introduce a pref that allows for disabling animations (toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled) and Bug 1358197 - Fix animation pref migration
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Thanks for the info.

----------------------------------------

@all
Does it still make sense to support new Firefox features and code changes made for Firefox 53-56?
Will anybody, who wants to use CTR a bit longer, stay on Firefox 56 after Fx 57 release or is a switch to Firefox 52ESR more likely in that case?
LewS

Post by LewS »

Obviously, since I'm already on 52esr, I think there's little point in
you trying to keep CTR updated for 53 thru 56. It will be interesting
to see any arguments in favor of that - someone may want it.

Thanks again for all your work to date.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Aris wrote:Does it still make sense to support new Firefox features and code changes made for Firefox 53-56?
Yeah, it makes sense.

You've seen how Mozilla and its apologists write on blogs, gHacks and Reddit. These guys were doing 'Fake News!' long before it became fashionable.

Stop CTR now and in 6 - 12 month's time it'll be - 'Aris, the guy who made a reasonable attempt at adding to Firefox's already extensive UI customisation options, but in the end couldn't be bothered to make the effort to make his stuff compatible for WebExtensions and present day Firefox users. A good effort though'.

Now, I know that almost half a million users wouldn't even have been using Firefox and its feeble customisation, if it hadn't been for CTR over the last 3 years. I also know the Bug No. where you requested APIs for CTR and it was marked as Wont Fix. But, because it will be Mozilla people saying it and because the average user doesn't know any different, then it's the first version that will go down in history.

My advice is to run CTR till the very last day possible and let them explain that away.

As you know, I have some experience of dealing with Mozilla. Almost 2 years after I first demonstrated how Complete Themes could be/were being made in 10% the time, 10% of the maintaining time and still would not break, Mozilla were still pushing a totally different line as justification to end them - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 222546#c30
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ReggieNJ

Post by ReggieNJ »

53 has an unnecessary and annoying new feature that scrolls the page when dragging links. Could you look at this and see if you can add an option to turn it off? Also, downloads now say '#m left' instead of '# minutes remaining', can that text be changed?
Aris

Post by Aris »

@Frank Lion
Thanks. Lets see what Mozilla plans for Firefox' last few steps before the massive change. No idea why they even put any effort into changing anything in Fx 53-56 instead of moving all resources to their next big thing: Fx57.

I saw your theme discussions in the past and liked to see you making a point. Sadly Mozilla saw it differently. Maybe they did it without understanding how this would revolutionize theme developing for Mozilla products or maybe they already decided to drop complete themes far far earlier (~around Fx4). At the end the new theme goal for future Firefox versions is a loss for everyone meaning almost no control over anything.
Those "background themes" are not worthy be called themes in my opinion. Because of Mozillas decisions and a few issues with add-ons validator (I really hate that tool ;-)) I stopped working on Noia 4 and removed it from AMO back in 2014 and I don't regret it. I already had a new Noia 4 version in alpha stage based on your new way of developing themes, but it never made its way online.

@ReggieNJ
Its not just the links. All text causes page to scroll when dragged to windows top or bottom borders. I'm not sure why this is a problem though. Moving it fast to the location bar or tabs toolbar almost causes no page movement and moving it to the bottom makes no sense anyway. Not sure how deep this goes into browser/page events, but I really don't want to break any dragging features by altering that code.

The '# minutes remaining' text can not be changed, but you could write a request on Bugzilla to change it back. Firefox gets it from its localization files. Unfortunately it is not a simple label, that could be overridden. It is a value string build from various variables and strings on the fly.
One would have to replace that part of Firefox code and that definitively is too much work for such a tiny change limited to one locale only.
kilara1988

Post by kilara1988 »

@Aris I don't know if you still support the addon,but i noticed a graphical bug when i updated to FF 53 Stable.This happens when i use the option for white color and dark shadows for text on inactive tabs.

When i turn the option on you can see how the site favicon cuts out the shadows and it looks weird and bad in some situations.
This is how it looks with the white text and shadows option turned off.
Edds

Post by Edds »

Aris, CTR latest beta somehow breaks Small toolbar icon mode. Toolbar is very thick. Looks fine with 1.6.6beta2. Can you fix it or it's on purpose? Thanks.
(using FX 54 latest beta)
Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
Aris

Post by Aris »

@kilara1988
I will look into it.

@Edds
Could you post a screen shot?
Are you also using "Classic Toolbar Buttons" add-ons?
Edds

Post by Edds »

Yes, I'm using CTB addon, but it"s the same without it, so I think it's only CTR "bug".
Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
Aris

Post by Aris »

@kilara1988
@Edds

Check CTR 1.6.6b4.
kilara1988

Post by kilara1988 »

@Aris The shadow cutoff seems to be fixed.Thanks.
Slim0815

Post by Slim0815 »

@Aris
Hi, could you include this tab close button in the next release? https://s1.postimg.org/vfs30lib3/close_w10red.png
Thanks in advance.