MozillaZine

[EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Leif-AMO

Post Posted June 18th, 2017, 8:06 pm

pag77 wrote:
Momos wrote:...When the addon updates, it resets the location to NY...
The reported update was from 3.5 to 4.1.

This is a wrong behavior, I'll try to find the cause and fix it

Bug: Not sure if this is related, but if trying to use a custom URL it always gets reset (SAT+RS+ISAR -> NX+SIR+INMASIR, see below). I want to use combined satelite and radar to see both precipitation (in colors green, yellow, orange, red, etc) and cloud cover (grey/white) at 640x480 (400x300 preview is ok, 640x480 when clicking to view full image strongly preferred). 400x300 is very small on my screen.

Example, if I try 640x480 sat/radar combo loop:

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/sat_mosa ... sarNY_.gif

Forecastfox (fix version) changes it to:

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nx_mosai ... sirNY_.gif

Which has only precipitation (Doppler radar), not cloud cover (satelite).

If I try to use smaller sat/radar combo loop, the URL still gets changed, so it doesn't see to be an issue of whether the specified URL fits the preview.

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/sat_mosa ... sarNY_.gif

Feature request: Hide location, day and temperatures from the Forecastfox (fix version) horizontal bar, to present the minimal condition info in compact space similar to XUL version. I know what day it is today or else I have bigger problems than the weather! ;-) So first (0-indexed) day/night icons are today, 2nd (1+ indexed) icon and beyond are tomorrow and subsequent days.

Commentary:
Momos wrote:If the number of users is a concern, maybe you should consider dropping the Firefox version altogether. I've used Firefox since it was "baby Firefox 0.x", and divorcing is painful. As long as we had control over the browser with XUL, we could work around abominations such as Australis, Pocket, Hello, signed addons (with ESR version), etc. But Firefox strayed out from its identity, mission and goals, and there is no reason to flog a dead horse.

I've used the Mozilla family browsers since before it was open sourced, since before the Windows version. I've likewise been highly critical of the decisions at Mozilla in recent years. But the reality is that you can not escape the problem by dropping Firefox and switching to another browser. All major browsers use WebExtensions now. No matter what browser you choose, it will use WebExtensions. There is nowhere left to run. You have three choices.

1. Try using some forked version of Firefox that will try to keep XUL alive but will probably ultimately fail in the long term because there is no funding and a small user base and small development team.
  2. Try convincing Google and/or Microsoft and/or Mozilla to add controls for certain UI elements so that WebExtensions can share the same UI functionality as XUL (next to impossible to change their minds at this point).
  3. Hope someone starts a new multi-million dollar corporation and/or non-profit organization, write a new modular extension engine, that provides advantages over WebExtensions, and write your own browser (including rendering engine and user interface) to use it (or possibly integrate it with other modular components).

pag77 wrote:This may seem strange, but I like the WebExtensions-API
Yes, WebExtensions has several drawbacks, but if the programmer is smart, then he will always find a workaround ;)
The greatest advantage of WebExtensions - without changing the source code you can show your extension for the user audience Firefox and GoogleChrome

(And the Edge browser, almost). ;)

The WebExtensions API does allow the developer to do some powerful things with simpler, cleaner looking code, with usages that are easier to remember, more logically organized API, succinct naming conventions. Asynchronous, multi-processor, security, simplicity and portability are all very powerful benefits. Development time will be more effective at creating new features rather than wrestling with the arcane and often undocumented features of XUL.

The benefit of portability, however, is something of an illusion. There are already creeping into Microsoft and Mozilla implementations, little incompatibilities. This trend will probably continue. Still, it will be easier to manage than converting an entire API to another with a full rewrite from scratch for every browser. Instead, it may be a few parameters to a function, a different set of manifest.json options, or a few missing functions entirely, etc. Probably tools will popup to address these problems, the API may be made more flexible or who knows, maybe become a W3C recommendation or specification some day, so the end result will still be a maximum amount of code can be shared with minimal effort to manage the differences.

Though a smart developer may find workarounds for some things, other things can't be worked around regardless of intelligence or cleverness of the developer, and some workarounds are unsatisfactory or suboptimal. Do not accept and do not tolerate the status-quo of stripping power from developers and end-users. Continue to voice opinions and increase pressure on all corporate entities involved in WebExtensions. They have a vested future in it now. If they continue to be unreasonable and unresponsive to the demands of the community, they will eventually fall like every giant before them has fallen. Someone WILL eventually implement option 3) above, and there WILL be a reckoning. :D

pag77

Post Posted June 19th, 2017, 2:04 am

Leif-AMO wrote:Not sure if this is related, but if trying to use a custom URL it always gets reset (SAT+RS+ISAR -> NX+SIR+INMASIR, see below).

Leif-AMO wrote:Hide location, day and temperatures from the Forecastfox (fix version) horizontal bar, to present the minimal condition info in compact space similar to XUL version.

I'm sorry but I do not understand
Please images...

feeks

Post Posted June 21st, 2017, 6:08 pm

Forecast fox 4.1 - I would like to suggest opacity settings for the background of the display so that the weather data is displayed but less intrusive on the screen and placement of the options button to access the weather data page alongside the default buttons. Gr8 app BTW! Thank you

pag77

Post Posted June 22nd, 2017, 1:02 am

Thank you for your suggestion -I'll add this feature to work plan

AineBanana

Post Posted June 22nd, 2017, 2:38 pm

BUG: Clicking on the radar in the status bar takes me to the US National radar rather than to my local radar. It used to bring up my local radar. Please bring this one-click functionality back. I don't want to have to drill down to get to my local radar and weather forecast. Even if I attempt to use a custom URL, clicking radar defaults to national when it opens as a whole Accuweather page. The small image radar I get in the status bar and/or top bar drop window is correct, but clicking either one takes me only to National..

pag77

Post Posted June 23rd, 2017, 12:38 am

AineBanana wrote:but clicking either one takes me only to National..

You mean that the Accuweather website is opening with the wrong radar?
What is your country, city, language?

AineBanana

Post Posted June 23rd, 2017, 6:32 am

United States, Annapolis MD, English. Radar defaults to http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/national/weather-radar when it should take me to the radar for whatever location I'm viewing (I have Forecastfox set to switch between multiple locations). For Annapolis, the radar should be http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/annapo ... dar/329302

pag77

Post Posted June 23rd, 2017, 7:01 am

AineBanana wrote:United States, Annapolis MD, English. Radar defaults to http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/national/weather-radar when it should take me to the radar for whatever location I'm viewing (I have Forecastfox set to switch between multiple locations). For Annapolis, the radar should be http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/annapo ... dar/329302

settings in Forecastfox:

xml from accuweather for Annapolis MD:
http://forecastfox3.accuweather.com/adcbin/forecastfox3/current-conditions.asp?location=cityId%3A329302&metric=0&langId=1
Code: Select all
<city>Annapolis</city>
<country code="US">United States</country>
<adminArea>Maryland</adminArea>
<radar>http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nx_mosaic_640x480_public/sir/inmasirVA_.gif</radar>

after click to radar (link in Forecastfox to radar: https://www.accuweather.com/en/US/329302/329302/weather-radar/329302 ) will show this page:

I'm sorry, but I do not see any problems
Please show your screenshots about your problem

AineBanana

Post Posted June 23rd, 2017, 11:30 am

My Mac won't let me make a screeenshot. But while Forecastfox shows me my regional radar in the popup window, clicking on the radar icon in the status bar or the Forecastfox dropdown takes me to the NATIONAL radar map for the United States, rather than to my regional radar map. This was not happening before last week.

85rx-7se

Post Posted June 23rd, 2017, 11:56 am

How to take a screenshot on your Mac

You can capture your entire screen or just a selected portion of it. The screenshot is automatically saved to your desktop.
How to take a screenshot of your entire screen

Press Shift-Command (⌘)-3.
Find the screenshot as a .png file on your desktop.

How to take a screenshot of a selected portion of your screen

Press Shift-Command-4. The pointer changes to a crosshair.
Move the crosshair to where you want to start the screenshot, then drag to select an area.
While dragging, you can hold Shift, Option, or Space bar to change the way the selection moves.
When you've selected the area you want, release your mouse or trackpad button. To cancel, press the Esc (Escape) key before you release the button.

How to take a screenshot of a window

Press the Space bar. The pointer changes to a camera.
Move the camera over a window to highlight it.
Click your mouse or trackpad. To cancel, press the Esc (Escape) key before you click.

This works with windows in the Finder and most apps.
How to take a screenshot of a menu

Click the menu to reveal its contents.
Drag to select the menu.
Release your mouse or trackpad button. To cancel, press the Escape (esc) key before you release the button.

These steps capture the contents of a menu, but not its title:

Click the menu to reveal its contents.
Press the Space bar. The pointer changes to a camera.
Move the camera over the menu to highlight it.
Click your mouse or trackpad. To cancel, press the Esc (Escape) key before you click.

How to take a screenshot of the Touch Bar

If you have a Mac with a Touch Bar and macOS Sierra 10.12.2 or later:

Press Shift-Command-6.

You can also customize the Control Strip region of your Touch Bar to include a Screenshot button. Then tap the Screenshot button to see options for the type of screenshot and where to save it.
Learn more

Screenshots are saved as .png files on the desktop in Mac OS X v10.6 and later. They're automatically named "Screen Shot date at time.png."
To save your screenshot to the Clipboard instead of your desktop, add Control to the key combinations above. For example, press Control-Shift-Command-3 instead of Shift-Command-3.
Open screenshots with Preview, Safari, and other apps that can edit or view images.
Some apps, such as DVD Player, might not let you take screenshots of their windows.

pag77

Post Posted June 23rd, 2017, 12:05 pm

AineBanana wrote:My Mac won't let me make a screeenshot.

Please try this web-service: https://snag.gy/
instructions for Mac:

AineBanana

Post Posted June 27th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Look, if you go here you will see exactly what I always get when I click on the map: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/national/weather-radar

Because that is where it takes me.

AineBanana

Post Posted June 27th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Yeah, none of those instructions are letting me take screenshots.
Last edited by AineBanana on June 27th, 2017, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pag77

Post Posted June 27th, 2017, 1:35 pm

please screenshots Forecastfox-settings-page

AineBanana

Post Posted June 27th, 2017, 1:40 pm

I CANNOT TAKE SCREENSHOTS ON MY MAC. none of the instructions given allow me to do that. But the settings are currently at default for Forecastfox, except I have my location set to Annapolis, MD rather than to New York, NY.

Return to Extension/Theme Releases