[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Aris

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by Aris »

NikonMike wrote:Thanks for your quick response. Maximizing the window on "normal" screen after it's been "scrambled" fixes the toolbar elements' ordering and sizing. That's an easy workaround!

It seems that once the toolbar/UI is initialized in the normal mode (either by first opening or by maximizing) it remains correct after dragging between different modes. Only the scenario where it's first opened in HiDPI mode and then dragged to a normal screen triggers the glitch.
Not sure, but maybe a bug report on Bugzilla "[macOS] update/repaint DOM after dragging window between screens of different resolutions (normal<->HiDPI)" should be opened. Maybe you can open that one since you can verify once the bug is fixed.

pintassilgo wrote:I'm struggling to find the cause, but for months I noticed a delay (~1 second) when I paste (not type) an URL in awesomebar and press Enter. Is not that the browser freezes, it just doesn't starts to load the URL instantly. To avoid this delay, I need to press any key between the paste and the Enter, usually an useless key like left/right arrow, but this is annoying. Even disabling all extensions except CTR the problem persists. Without CTR, no delay.

With more tests to find the preference that causes the problem, seems to be Location bar > Autocomplete popup > Alternative appearance (classic). Unchecking this and restarting, the problem ends. But I don't like the new appearance.

I couldn't reproduce it on a new profile, but seems clear to me that the problem is in CTR, maybe related to some Firefox preference.

I'm having this problem at least since Fx 54, now 55 (Aurora/DevEd, now Beta/DevEd). I update CTR normally, tested even with 1.6.8beta5.

There is no error in Browser Console.

Do you have any idea what might be causing the problem? Thanks.
The reason might be the amount of bookmarks or history items Firefox tries to look through before displaying the popup. On a new profile there are none, so the issue does not occur. On my default setup the "delay" is about half a second.

There are tons of checks for popup size/dimensions, that are done every time the popup opens and there are many checks for every item displayed, what could also cause delays.

Besides CTRs own settings these default browser settings are involved:

Code: Select all

app.support.baseURL
browser.urlbar.suggest.*  (multiple settings)
browser.urlbar.userMadeSearchSuggestionsChoice
browser.urlbar.maxRichResults
browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches
Try to backup CTRs preferences and perform a settings reset.
Only enable 'Location bar > Autocomplete popup > Alternative appearance' and restart. Additionally disable in browsers default settings > Privacy > Location bar > History / Bookmarks / Open tabs.
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

Without "Alternative appearance (classic)", the display of PopupAutoCompleteRichResult takes a while, but Firefox starts to load the URL immediately after Enter, even if the PopupAutoCompleteRichResult isn't ready.

The problem is not the delay to show the suggestions, this is expected due to the size of places.sqlite. The problem is that, with "Alternative appearance (classic)", Firefox needs to wait until PopupAutoCompleteRichResult be displayed to perform the URL submit (Enter). This doesn't occur without "Alternative appearance (classic)", Firefox starts to load the page immediately, even if the popup hasn't been displayed (in fact, the popupshowing is cancelled after the Enter keypress).

When the classic appearence was default I didn't have that problem either (places.sqlite was already large, it isn't the problem).
Last edited by pintassilgo on June 23rd, 2017, 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NikonMike

Post by NikonMike »

Aris wrote:Not sure, but maybe a bug report on Bugzilla "[macOS] update/repaint DOM after dragging window between screens of different resolutions (normal<->HiDPI)" should be opened. Maybe you can open that one since you can verify once the bug is fixed.
I thought about that, however I'm not able to replicate this in clean Firefox (no add-ons), default toolbar works fine. Is there a way to debug this on the Mac?
Aris

Post by Aris »

pintassilgo wrote:Without "Alternative appearance (classic)", the display of PopupAutoCompleteRichResult takes a while, but doesn't delay the URL submit action if I press Enter.

The problem is not the delay to show the suggestions, this is expected due to the size of places.sqlite. The problem is that, with "Alternative appearance (classic)", Firefox needs to wait until PopupAutoCompleteRichResult be displayed to perform the URL submit (Enter). This doesn't occur without "Alternative appearance (classic)", Firefox starts to load the page immediately, even if the popup hasn't been displayed (in fact, the popupshowing is cancelled after the Enter keypress).
Sorry, I don't think I can change anything for that process, because I can not reproduce that particular issue on my system. Pasting an url into location bar and immediately hitting return key closes the popup and loads the url for me.
NikonMike wrote:...
I thought about that, however I'm not able to replicate this in clean Firefox (no add-ons), default toolbar works fine. Is there a way to debug this on the Mac?
Most likely Firefox reloads its own files correctly, but does not reload files of overlay add-ons the same way. I don't think they will change or fix anything at overlay/legacy add-ons almost end of life.
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

Hi, if this has been reported please ignore.

After 55, when the tab position is set as "Tabs not on top (v1)", the space of tab bar became grey, instead of a uniform color as the toolbar above.

Current behavior:

Previous (correct) behavior:

pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

Aris wrote:Sorry, I don't think I can change anything for that process, because I can not reproduce that particular issue on my system. Pasting an url into location bar and immediately hitting return key closes the popup and loads the url for me.
After endless testing (almost two hours), I finally found the solution. But not the reason for the problem.

browser.search.suggest.enabled = false
browser.urlbar.timesBeforeHidingSuggestionsHint = 0
browser.urlbar.userMadeSearchSuggestionsChoice = true
browser.urlbar.suggest.searches = false
If you set ANY of the preferences above you should be able to reproduce the issue. Remembering to check "Alternative appearance (classic)" and testing on a profile with large places.sqlite (URL history).

I needed to revert all preferences above to default:

browser.search.suggest.enabled = true
browser.urlbar.timesBeforeHidingSuggestionsHint = 4
browser.urlbar.userMadeSearchSuggestionsChoice = false
browser.urlbar.suggest.searches = true
...and restart Firefox (needed) to be able to solve the issue, that is, that pasting an URL (example: resource:///modules/PlacesUIUtils.jsm) into location bar and immediately hitting Enter loads the URL without delay. Without the need to uncheck "Alternative appearance (classic)".
Last edited by pintassilgo on June 24th, 2017, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
#Sun-Glasses

Post by #Sun-Glasses »

I have to report a long-standing bug in CTR:

USING LIGHTWEIGHT THEME, SQUARE TABS, TABS ON BOTTOM (WITH AND WITHOUT ATTRIBUTE) IN MACOS FULLSCREEN MODE:

unnecessarily large space between tab bar and bookmarks bar

USING NO(!) LIGHTWEIGHT THEME (DEFAULT THEME ONLY), SQUARE TABS; TABS ON BOTTOM (WITH AND WITHOUT ATTRIBUTE) IN MACOS FULLSCREEN MODE:

no unnecessarily large space between tab bar and bookmarks bar to be seen

Could you look into this, Aris?
Last edited by #Sun-Glasses on June 24th, 2017, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aris

Post by Aris »

fireattack wrote:Hi, if this has been reported please ignore.

After 55, when the tab position is set as "Tabs not on top (v1)", the space of tab bar became grey, instead of a uniform color as the toolbar above.

Current behavior:

https://my.mixtape.moe/wkpmmw.png

Previous (correct) behavior:

https://my.mixtape.moe/kgbsei.png
This will be fixed on next beta.
Sadly there will be more such bugs after Firefox 56 moves to beta. The reason is Mozillas dumb idea to add Photon/Fx57 ui changes to Nightly instead of using own UX channel (like done before Australis hit Firefox). These bugs are the result of "fixing" stuff for Firefox 55 Nightly back in CTR 1.6.7betaX, which had to be reverted for Firefox 55 hit beta.

pintassilgo wrote:...

After endless testing (almost two hours), I finally found the solution. But not the reason for the problem.

browser.search.suggest.enabled = false
browser.urlbar.timesBeforeHidingSuggestionsHint = 0
browser.urlbar.userMadeSearchSuggestionsChoice = true
browser.urlbar.suggest.searches = false
If you set ANY of the preferences above you should be able to reproduce the issue. Remembering to check "Alternative appearance (classic)" and testing on a profile with large places.sqlite (URL history).

I needed to revert all preferences above to default:

...and restart Firefox (needed) to be able to solve the issue, that is, that pasting an URL (example: resource:///modules/PlacesUIUtils.jsm) into location bar and immediately hitting Enter loads the URL without delay. Without the need to uncheck "Alternative appearance (classic)".
My places.sqlite is about 55MB large and I'm not able to reproduce this issue with any of the above setting combinations. I set all from the first block one by one and at once, reverted them one by one and at once, but your mentioned issue did not occur. Maybe my places.sqlite is not large enough. I will try to track the issue over time, but can not promise much yet.

#Sun-Glasses wrote:I have to report a long-standing bug in CTR:

USING LIGHTWEIGHT THEME, SQUARE TABS, TABS ON BOTTOM (WITH AND WITHGOUT ATTRIBUTE) IN MACOS FULLSCREEN MODE:

unnecessarily large space between tab bar and bookmarks bar

USING NO(!) LIGHTWEIGHT THEME (DEFAULT THEME ONLY), SQUARE TABS; TABS ON BOTTOM (WITH AND WITHOUT ATTRIBUTE) IN MACOS FULLSCREEN MODE:

no unnecessarily large space between tab bar and bookmarks bar to be seen

Could you look into this, Aris?
I can fix this on next beta.

Do you have any idea which Firefox version this bug first appeared on?
#Sun-Glasses

Post by #Sun-Glasses »

Aris wrote:I can fix this on next beta.

Do you have any idea which Firefox version this bug first appeared on?
Currently using Waterfox 54.0.0.1 (should be identical to Firefox as far as the add-on is concerned) and witnessing this bug. I cross-checked this with Firefox 45.9 ESR for you and it happens there as well, so I guess it applies to every version you still support.
avada

Post by avada »

pintassilgo wrote:I'm struggling to find the cause, but for months I noticed a delay (~1 second) when I paste (not type) an URL in awesomebar and press Enter. Is not that the browser freezes, it just doesn't starts to load the URL instantly.
I've been experiencing this too but for a year or two.
But it also happens to me in other circumstances: when I press down to select something (a sub section on the website) with an page loaded without clearing the urlbar.
Also rarerly the the pressing of the enter key is lost entirely.
pintassilgo wrote:I needed to revert all preferences above to default:

Bah. Enabling all that crap is not worth doing to get rid of the delay.
avada

Post by avada »

Aris wrote:Sadly there will be more such bugs after Firefox 56 moves to beta. The reason is Mozillas dumb idea to add Photon/Fx57 ui changes to Nightly instead of using own UX channel (like done before Australis hit Firefox). These bugs are the result of "fixing" stuff for Firefox 55 Nightly back in CTR 1.6.7betaX, which had to be reverted for Firefox 55 hit beta.
Maybe it's not worth supporting central anymore? It's for only that six weeks, after which they're going to undo most (all?) photon crap when they push the new version to beta.
There won't be a stable version with Photon UI where CTR can run on anyway...
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

avada wrote:Bah. Enabling all that crap is not worth doing to get rid of the delay.
I didn't notice any changes after resetting these preferences. Just fixed the issue, no side effect.
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

Aris wrote:My places.sqlite is about 55MB large and I'm not able to reproduce this issue with any of the above setting combinations. I set all from the first block one by one and at once, reverted them one by one and at once, but your mentioned issue did not occur. Maybe my places.sqlite is not large enough. I will try to track the issue over time, but can not promise much yet.
My steps to reproduce the issue once more:

Firefox Profile Manager (-p), new profile, start it.
Install CTR 1.6.7, restart.
CTR settings, check "Alternative appearance (classic)", restart.
Close Firefox, replace new places.sqlite with my 105MB places.sqlite, open Firefox.
New tab, Ctrl+V with "resource:///modules/PlacesUIUtils.jsm", quickly Enter, immediately loads the URL.
browser.search.suggest.enabled to false, repeat previous step, delay before loads the URL. Reproduced.

I recorded two GIFs, with and without the issue.

Without the issue:
https://i.imgur.com/FjlaeuE.gif

With the issue (delay):
https://i.imgur.com/3heHjcR.gif
avada

Post by avada »

pintassilgo wrote:I didn't notice any changes after resetting these preferences. Just fixed the issue, no side effect.
You didn't look very hard then.
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

avada wrote:You didn't look very hard then.
browser.search.suggest.enabled
I don't use searchbar.

browser.urlbar.timesBeforeHidingSuggestionsHint
No visible hint. Maybe hidden by CSS/CTR, doesn't matter.

browser.urlbar.userMadeSearchSuggestionsChoice
Same of above. No prompt in addressbar, maybe hidden by CSS/CTR, doesn't matter.

browser.urlbar.suggest.searches
No search suggestions appear in addressbar popup list.

What else should I notice?