MozillaZine

[EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pag77

Post Posted July 11th, 2017, 9:41 am

I just wanted to notify that Forecastfox exists for Chrome and Firefox
And now the addon is completely the same for both platforms
And if you run away from Firefox in the direction of Chrome, then you always find Forecastfox for yourself :)

Albert71292

Post Posted July 11th, 2017, 3:41 pm

The dropdown when you click the extension icon isn't functioning in the latest Nightly 56.0a1 (2017-07-11) (64-bit).

TheVisitor

Post Posted July 11th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Albert71292 wrote:The dropdown when you click the extension icon isn't functioning in the latest Nightly 56.0a1 (2017-07-11) (64-bit).

Known issue, bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1379508 has been filed and they (devs) are aware, no need for further reports in bug as this addon is already reported.

Albert71292

Post Posted July 11th, 2017, 4:13 pm

TheVisitor wrote: Known issue, bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1379508 has been filed and they (devs) are aware, no need for further reports in bug as this addon is already reported.

Ahh, thanks!

walkerpbus

Post Posted July 16th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Forecastfox interferes with another add-on. It also is a bother to click on ti. I only want today"s temp-weather.
Win 10 Pro on my originally Dell Optiplex System 7 desktop. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on all machines. Would like soon to buy a new laptop if my finances permit.

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 16th, 2017, 6:27 pm

walkerpbus wrote:Forecastfox interferes with another add-on.

That your idea of some silly guessing game?

How is the guy going to fix that, unless you *drumroll* name the 'another add-on'?
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

walkerpbus

Post Posted July 17th, 2017, 9:29 am

Frank Lion wrote:
walkerpbus wrote:Forecastfox interferes with another add-on.

That your idea of some silly guessing game?

How is the guy going to fix that, unless you *drumroll* name the 'another add-on'?

Other add-on is Roboform, a password saver/filler, but there are other reasons I don't like the new one, click on to see, only need current day's forecast.
Win 10 Pro on my originally Dell Optiplex System 7 desktop. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on all machines. Would like soon to buy a new laptop if my finances permit.

BigThunder1

Post Posted July 17th, 2017, 10:28 am

@pag77 -- Must say, your resurrection of Forecastfox in the form of the (fix version) is greatly appreciated! A priceless add-on IMO I would not want to lose, thank you.

However, the latest update changes are a huge disappointment! Why "fix" something that works for all and isn't broke? Previously since Forecastfoxs' inception, a user has always had the option to position it virtually anywhere one wanted on any of the various toolbars, and screen real-estate is priceless without regard and has been the death of many add-ons over the years, if for no other reason than the simple annoyance factor. Extra things, popups, and flashing crap in the browser window is what brought about the flash blockers etc. because they're so damned annoying and distract ones research or viewing/reading pleasure like a nagging kid that will not leave you alone. I just hate -(the word isn't strong enough to convey my feelings) things waving, popping in and out, flashing in-your-face, or masking-over the page itself in or "on" a web page distracting, blocking, or otherwise effecting my view of the content/substance I was after or initially interested in.

I've been using the Status Bar position for years and now through the latest update Forecastfox sits in a little icon in the lower right corner of my web pages on display. Not only is it an annoyance that's in the way as well as blocks content, but the mouse-over feature I personally find very annoying as well! That, and since I have several apps stacked on-screen, Forecastfox is now blocked from site in its new default location by the app window stacked on top so that I have to click/activate the window bringing it forward to view. ...an additional unnecessary action as it were. Now I either have to leave it expanded (so-ugly and blocks reading content etc), or be distracted every time my mouse cursor runs across it; not to mention these are extra unnecessary steps to access one simple desired feature! ...in my case a constant desire/need to view the animated radar image regularly throughout the day in real time as well as occasional glances at current and predicted weather stats. As well, previously the icon backgrounds were masked as transparent to allow the users existing background/theme colors to show. Not blocking content and not placed inside a box with an opaque background.

Users also had the "option of position placement" on any of the various toolbars as well, which is what they were designed for and one of many reasons why Ff is the best customizable browser on the planet, bar non. I'm sure the mouse-over popup is of desire to some as is the choice between horizontal and vertical viewing, so I will say these are good new options in "addition" to the previous options for many, but to remove the "previous toolbar placement options" altogether, and limit placement to one locked position (ON THE WEB PAGE OF ALL PLACES!), as well as ignoring user GUI/theme choices with an opaque box with "your" choice of fixed color and design is, well... tunnel-visioned!

I suggest and request that you retain the previous toolbar placement options, remove (or make optional) the opaque background, and allow the user the freedom once enjoyed by the add-ons options prior to your latest changes. Add your changes as additional options if you will, but don't fix/change something that works for all and isn't/wasn't broken ](*,) . Thanks.

Kindest Regards,
BigThunder1
It all comes out in the wash..... have a great day, and don't get dirty!
~My mother

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 17th, 2017, 10:30 am

walkerpbus wrote:Other add-on is Roboform, a password saver/filler, but there are other reasons I don't like the new one, click on to see, only need current day's forecast.

It doesn't matter what you like, just think about somebody apart from yourself. The extension author of Forecastfox needed to know what that other extension was.

BigThunder1 wrote:I suggest and request that you retain the previous toolbar placement options, remove (or make optional) the opaque background, and allow the user the freedom once enjoyed by the add-ons options prior to your latest changes. Add your changes as additional options if you will, but don't fix/change something that works for all and isn't/wasn't broken ](*,) . Thanks.

I suggest and request you read a few recent pages of this thread to see why the changes were made.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Gone Postal

Post Posted July 17th, 2017, 11:57 am

walkerpbus wrote:. . . only need current day's forecast.

You could always go into the Options and adjust them so it only shows 1 day's forecast.

GHM113

Post Posted July 17th, 2017, 12:17 pm

BigThunder1 wrote:I've been using the Status Bar position for years and now through the latest update Forecastfox sits in a little icon in the lower right corner of my web pages on display. Not only is it an annoyance that's in the way as well as blocks content, but the mouse-over feature I personally find very annoying as well!

I suggest and request that you retain the previous toolbar placement options

Long story short: Firefox is in process of migrating to new addon ecosystem that physically doesn't support old Forecastfox so Aleksandr had to rewrite his extension in order to make it compatible with Firefox 57 that is coming soon.
I am an idiot. Sorry for my poor English. Current list of config tweaks: https://pastebin.com/1dCT4Cvp

BigThunder1

Post Posted July 17th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
walkerpbus wrote:
Other add-on is Roboform, a password saver/filler, but there are other reasons I don't like the new one, click on to see, only need current day's forecast.

It doesn't matter what you like, just think about somebody apart from yourself. The extension author of Forecastfox needed to know what that other extension was.

BigThunder1 wrote:
I suggest and request that you retain the previous toolbar placement options, remove (or make optional) the opaque background, and allow the user the freedom once enjoyed by the add-ons options prior to your latest changes. Add your changes as additional options if you will, but don't fix/change something that works for all and isn't/wasn't broken ](*,) . Thanks.

I suggest and request you read a few recent pages of this thread to see why the changes were made.

Thank you for that input Frank regarding my posting. Been out of the world of digital news and changes for some time and didn't know these things. I did read a few, but apparently not far enough back in the forum.

I might add with no offense intended, rather some food for thought, that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar, meaning a simple reminder that "?" missing info is needed to fulfill an answer and that insults aren't necessary in regards to your reply to walkerpbus and others I've noticed. Just sayin'... A little thought and consideration goes a long way rather than lash out at others sarcastically because they don't have the knowledge or understanding you have, or the ability to see the necessity and/or communicate things to the level needed to reach the end goal they're looking for. Sometimes less is more, as in keeping it simple rather than cloud things with unnecessary comments. ;-)
---

Momos said it well regarding the direction things are going in the digital world.

Momos wrote:
I've used Firefox since it was "baby Firefox 0.x", and divorcing is painful. As long as we had control over the browser with XUL, we could work around abominations such as Australis, Pocket, Hello, signed addons (with ESR version), etc. But Firefox strayed out from its identity, mission and goals, and there is no reason to flog a dead horse.

Ditto.

On one side of the coin it's understandable regarding simplicity and interchangeability on an industrial scale. On the other side of that coin, the individualism of companies, developers, and products is becoming more gray and being mashed into a state of contradiction, and what's good for the Goose-(them) isn't always good for the Gander-(us). This ideology of simplicity and compatibility on an industrial scale between the PTB is a monopoly on independence "for their benefit" and undermines the identity, mission and stated goals, as well as the mission promises to the customer/consumer. Freedom is a double edged sword and all too often Generals (in this case big businesses) tend to kill the troops (in this case the end user) for lack of and loss of the ability to see the trees verses the forest they so covet for profit and control under the guise of compatibility and simplicity. This is great for them. For us the consumer/customer, it generally comes at a cost to all that is not favorable or convenient that upsets the proverbial apple cart and makes a huge mess of things. Sacrificing the needs and desires of the many for those of the few is "never" a good thing all said and done as history has shown. Unless the masses stand up to these types, nothing will change for the better of all and as Momos said, "there is no reason to flog a dead horse". If one lets the horse die, then your on your own to get where you want to go.

It seems another sad day for the consumer lies just around the corner as it were regarding the direction Google and Mozilla are taking this. No doubt there's good and bad that will come of this for all concerned, but the day of consumer freedom and user friendliness is fast becoming a thing of the past.

Kindest Regards,
BigThunder1
~My mother

BigThunder1

Post Posted July 17th, 2017, 2:13 pm

GHM113 wrote:
BigThunder1 wrote:I've been using the Status Bar position for years and now through the latest update Forecastfox sits in a little icon in the lower right corner of my web pages on display. Not only is it an annoyance that's in the way as well as blocks content, but the mouse-over feature I personally find very annoying as well!

I suggest and request that you retain the previous toolbar placement options

Long story short: Firefox is in process of migrating to new addon ecosystem that physically doesn't support old Forecastfox so Aleksandr had to rewrite his extension in order to make it compatible with Firefox 57 that is coming soon.

Thanks GHM113. I figured that out reading past posts thanks to Franks recommendation. Just wasn't aware of the direction of these things until recently. I appreciate your input. ;-)

Kindest Regards,
BigThunder1
~My mother

Gone Postal

Post Posted July 18th, 2017, 6:20 am

Oleksandr

Running FF v55.0b9. Just updated to ForecastFox v4.2. All looking good so thanks for the hard work.

TheVisitor

Post Posted July 18th, 2017, 6:27 am

How to turn off the 'hover text only drop-down' ?

Return to Extension/Theme Releases