[EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pag77

Re: [EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Post by pag77 »

John Liebson wrote:As requested:
https://pasteboard.co/GBItQlM.jpg
Button labels - how did you make them? Is it some kind of extension? Or some kind of settings?
To manage the tooltiptext from Forecastfox, use this setting:
Forecastfox - settings - "Weather forecast in the tooltip on the toolbar button" - "Number of forecast days?" - 0
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

dlauber wrote:John,
As has been noted in a post or two, all you have to do is set the number of forecast days in Forecast Fox to zero.
Unfortunately, that still leaves a label that is the way too long showing the forecast, temperature, city, state, zip code, country, and time visible -- when you've got FireFox configured to show icons and text in its toolbars.
I wish the kind developer would allow us to have just the forecast and temperature show - we certainly don't need the time shown and I'm pretty sure users know what their city, state, zip code and country are.
Thanks. I had not noticed anything about setting forecast days to zero, nor had I needed to do so until the release of version 4.2. I reinstalled 4.2 a few minutes ago, set the days to zero, and the extension now is working correctly.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

pag77 wrote:
John Liebson wrote:As requested:
https://pasteboard.co/GBItQlM.jpg
Button labels - how did you make them? Is it some kind of extension? Or some kind of settings?
To manage the tooltiptext from Forecastfox, use this setting:
Forecastfox - settings - "Weather forecast in the tooltip on the toolbar button" - "Number of forecast days?" - 0
I did not make the button labels; every one of them is from a Firefox extension; their names are shown in the screen shot. I have now reinstalled version 4.2 and set the days to zero, which fixed the problem, something I had not needed to do with previous version'.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

John Liebson wrote:I did not make the button labels; every one of them is from a Firefox extension
This is not the standard Firefox behavior
These labels form from some special extension
In the standard Firefox the buttons without labels - the text that you see is the text from the tooltips

Pay attention to this button:
Here the text is very long for the usual label.
Most likely this text is also generated from the tooltip
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

pag77 wrote:
John Liebson wrote:I did not make the button labels; every one of them is from a Firefox extension
This is not the standard Firefox behavior
These labels form from some special extension
In the standard Firefox the buttons without labels - the text that you see is the text from the tooltips

Pay attention to this button:
Here the text is very long for the usual label.
Most likely this text is also generated from the tooltip
Nothing special about the extension, which is a `lite' version of Zoom Page; both versions are posted on the Mozilla Addons site. The text changes as you use the extension to change the zoom. I don't see anything in the extension's options page about changing the text (which I would not mind doing, but as my task bar is only about one-half used, the length of the text does not cause a problem.)
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

John Liebson wrote:Thanks. I had not noticed anything about setting forecast days to zero, nor had I needed to do so until the release of version 4.2. I reinstalled 4.2 a few minutes ago, set the days to zero, and the extension now is working correctly.
Er, pedantic point. It was working correctly before in that it was doing what Oleksandr had programmed it to do. You have changed the settings so that it now works as you wish.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Gone Postal wrote:
John Liebson wrote:Thanks. I had not noticed anything about setting forecast days to zero, nor had I needed to do so until the release of version 4.2. I reinstalled 4.2 a few minutes ago, set the days to zero, and the extension now is working correctly.
Er, pedantic point. It was working correctly before in that it was doing what Oleksandr had programmed it to do. You have changed the settings so that it now works as you wish.
Wrong: It is not now working as I wish, it is now working as it always had worked before version 4.1; I had never had to set the number of days to zero previously. Something changed with the release of 4.2; what that was I neither know nor care; I only know that changing from three days to zero days restored the task bar entry to its previous appearance. With days set to 3, the extension was useless; at 0, it is again useful.

Unless, of course, for some abstruse reason, you consider useless to be useful:

From the Online Etymology Dictionary:

abstruse (adj.) Look up abstruse at Dictionary.com
1590s, "remote from comprehension," from Middle French abstrus (16c.) or directly from Latin abstrusus "hidden, concealed, secret," past participle of abstrudere "conceal, hide," literally "to thrust away," from assimilated form of ab "off, away from" (see ab-) + trudere "to thrust, push," from PIE root *treud- "to press, push, squeeze" (see threat). Related: Abstrusely; abstruseness.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

John Liebson wrote:Something changed with the release of 4.2; what that was I neither know nor care; I only know that changing from three days to zero days restored the task bar entry to its previous appearance
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/foreca ... installed/
or
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/foreca ... developers
or
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/foreca ... /versions/
Version 4.2
added: weather forecast in the tooltip on the toolbar button
or in the bottom of the main page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/foreca ... x-version/
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Thanks, Pag77, that addition could very well have been what caused the change that I was seeing and which was fixed by setting the days to zero. I saw the change in the information about the changes to version 4.2, but had no idea that that addition would then require setting the days to zero.
rebop

Post by rebop »

Just an update. I finally figured out how this new version works and it is usable, though not as much for me as when all was in the status bar.

Thanks for the pointers.

~Bob
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

John Liebson wrote:Unless, of course, for some abstruse reason, you consider useless to be useful:
Abstruse and pedantic maybe (and because I know enough English to be pedantic about the use of words, the dictionary definition is superfluous) but correct in the use of words rather than missing the point.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Gone Postal wrote:... rather than missing the point.

point (n.)
c. 1200, "minute amount, single item in a whole; sharp end of a sword, etc.," a merger of two words, both ultimately from Latin pungere "to prick, pierce," from nasalized form of PIE root *peuk- "to prick." The Latin neuter past participle punctum was used as a noun, meaning "small hole made by pricking," subsequently extended to anything that looked like one, hence, "dot, particle," etc. This yielded Old French point "dot; smallest amount," which was borrowed in Middle English by c. 1300.

Meanwhile the Latin fem. past participle of pungere was puncta, which was used in Medieval Latin to mean "sharp tip," and became Old French pointe "point of a weapon, vanguard of an army," which also passed into English, early 14c.

The senses have merged in English, but remain distinct in French. Extended senses are from the notion of "minute, single, or separate items in an extended whole." Meaning "small mark, dot" in English is mid-14c. Meaning "distinguishing feature" is recorded from late 15c. Meaning "a unit of score in a game" is first recorded 1746. As a typeface unit (in Britain and U.S., one twelfth of a pica), it went into use in U.S. 1883. As a measure of weight for precious stones (one one-hundredth of a carat) it is recorded from 1931.

The point "the matter being discussed" is attested from late 14c.; meaning "sense, purpose, advantage" (usually in the negative, as in what's the point?) is first recorded 1903. Point of honor (1610s) translates French point d'honneur. Point of no return (1941) is originally aviators' term for the point in a flight "before which any engine failure requires an immediate turn around and return to the point of departure, and beyond which such return is no longer practical."
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
T-Halen

Post by T-Halen »

pag77 wrote:This is the restriction of WebExtensions:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ersion-4.1
3. Forecast bar will not be displayed on some sites from mozilla.org and google.com
4. Forecast bar will not be displayed on sites that do not have pages, for example error 404 (page not found)
5. Forecast bar will not be displayed on internal Firefox and GoogleChrome pages, for example about:addons , about:config , chrome://extensions/ , chrome://settings/ , etc.
6. Forecast bar will not be displayed on the WebExtensions pages "moz-extension://...." , "chrome-extension://...."
7. Forecast bar may not be displayed correctly on some sites. In this case, report the problem on the forum
Is it possible to stop the little umbrella icon (Forecast Bar?) to stop appearing on pages printed from Firefox?

I've become quite used to the new version, and for the most part like it just fine. The only other thing I can think of is that the link for Radar in the (hourly Radar (or satellite) 5-day) text goes to the National (USA) radar page instead of to a local radar page, which you can access from the 'hourly' page.

Thanks for all the hard work!
pag77

Post by pag77 »

T-Halen wrote:Is it possible to stop the little umbrella icon (Forecast Bar?) to stop appearing on pages printed from Firefox?
Forecastfox - options - forecast bar - show? - No
T-Halen

Post by T-Halen »

pag77 wrote:
T-Halen wrote:Is it possible to stop the little umbrella icon (Forecast Bar?) from appearing on pages printed from Firefox?
Forecastfox - options - forecast bar - show? - No
That appears to disable it completely. I'd like to keep using it in the browser, but have it suppressed when pages are printed. Thanks.