[EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
GBinHoosick

Re: [EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Post by GBinHoosick »

Thanks for the heads-up. It's working for me now too. I don't know for sure, but I believe the problem may have been on AccuWeather's end, rather than on Forecastfox's end.
pschroeter

Re: [EXT] Forecastfox (fix version) Radar wasn't working

Post by pschroeter »

I've been meaning to mention that from March 2 to March 7 the radar wasn''t working. The time stamp jumped in odd leaps and no radar data was shown. On the 7th it showed one frame and then all of them a few hours later. In the five days it didn't work I discovered the radar is too busy and too complicated in any of the alternatives I tried. Forecast Fox has a nice simple radar I can understand in a glance I can get to in about two seconds.

When it first happened I wondered if it was tied to the war in Ukraine as the creator Oleksandr Popov appears to be Russian, though his website appears to be in Germany..
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Extension is very slow and causing the browser to be too slow due to the amount of logging.

The logs are full with the message
Error: Please use $(ref:runtime.getURL).
There are other addons with this problem but forecastfox is the worst of them due to the very very high number of times the problem appears in the logs.

The problem is in the theme.js file but there are so many messages, I'm unable to copy and paste the full path of it.

Please fix it!
Anan

Post by Anan »

I just got my wife a new Win 11 laptop by ASUS. Firefox is working fine but I can't get Forecastfox to properly install: when I try to change the location, I get a mostly blank page with a tiny input window at the top that has a whirling ball that goes on whirling for five or more minutes so I can't enter my zip code. Is there something I must fix in Firefox to get past this roadblock? ](*,)
bluestarz

Post by bluestarz »

Anan wrote:I just got my wife a new Win 11 laptop by ASUS. Firefox is working fine but I can't get Forecastfox to properly install: when I try to change the location, I get a mostly blank page with a tiny input window at the top that has a whirling ball that goes on whirling for five or more minutes so I can't enter my zip code. Is there something I must fix in Firefox to get past this roadblock? ](*,)
If you have HTTPS-Only mode enabled, try disabling it. Then use Forecastfox to change locations. I had the same problem and it worked for me. Then re-enable HTTPS-Only mode when you are done.
Anan

Post by Anan »

My ForecastFox (v 4.26) is hung up on Friday's weather. I tried refreshing the forecast, and it still thinks today is Friday. Is it still Friday anywhere in the world? Here (US ET) it really looks like Saturday the 27th.

Problem appears to have been fixed later that day.
Last edited by Anan on October 7th, 2022, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necronomicon

Post by Necronomicon »

Small icon in FF addons shows that it's raining, clicked on it, it shows same, but when I go to accuweather webpage, it shows slightly cloudy. And even every hor shows that it will be slightly cloudy and no rain. So I don't know where that info is pulled out, but it's wrong.
i7 2600K@4.2, NH-U12S, ASUS P8P67 Pro V.3.1, 16GB HyperX Gray@1600, MSI GTX1060 6GB GamingX, Samsung SSD Pro 256GB, WD 1TB;3TB, CM 690 II Advanced/Seasonic 850W KM3, SoundBlaster ZX/Samsung HT-WS1G/AKG K92, ASUS 24B3ST, Logitech M705 / K270, X360 wireless gamepad, LG 42LF652V, Win 10 x64 Pro
Anan

Post by Anan »

It's back! This morning is Columbus Day but my ForecastFox (fixed? version) argues that it's still Sunday and gives me an obsolete forecast. I've tried every trick I can think of and my Windows 10 Pro onboard clock is accurate (10/10) but still it's Sunday for ForecastFox. Refreshing ForecastFox data is one thing I tried with to no effect. After 10 minutes it's still a day behind.

After about an hour, I checked again and the date had corrected itself.
iammike

Post by iammike »

I am getting
There was a problem connecting to the weather service.
My internet has no issues any idea what to do?

Another question to which server does it connect? Is that http://www.s3blog.org ?
If so, I can connect to that as well.

TiA
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

iammike wrote:I am getting
There was a problem connecting to the weather service.
My internet has no issues any idea what to do?

Another question to which server does it connect? Is that http://www.s3blog.org ?
If so, I can connect to that as well.

TiA
Data is provided by Accuweather. Radar is updating, forecast has been broken since yesterday sometime. No idea how to fix.

EDIT: Added to Chrome browser and does not work there either, same error we see here, so must be something at Accuweather.
justrandomstuff.info

Post by justrandomstuff.info »

His Accuweather account is the issue. He's usually pretty fast at corrections/fixes.
The request the extension makes to weather-data.asp(Accuweather) returns:
<error>Your subscription has expired. Please contact AccuWeather to resubscribe</error>
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Was just checking on AMO (addons Mozilla) for this addon, and it only shows 'Remove', no option to install , at least on my Nightly build. I have a feeling that this addon has run its course after all these years.
No updates indicated for at least 3 yrs now. Will give it a few days, then will sadly have to remove it I'm afraid.
jeois

Post by jeois »

TheVisitor wrote:Was just checking on AMO (addons Mozilla) for this addon, and it only shows 'Remove', no option to install , at least on my Nightly build. I have a feeling that this addon has run its course
No no, this is the normal behavior of the Mozilla site when you have the add-on already installed. If you click "Remove," and refresh or restart your browser, then you can still re-install, so that has absolutely nothing to do with this recent issue.

As for whether it has run its course, this extension/add-on wouldn't need an update if Accuweather's API (where the extension gets the weather data) still worked the same way. Perhaps they changed the handshake in some way or are preventing 3rd party apps from accessing their forecast data, or it could just be a temporary bug. I could look into it, but really it all depends on Accuweather.com, and this extension seems like it's closed source.
Cassette

Post by Cassette »

TheVisitor wrote:Was just checking on AMO (addons Mozilla) for this addon, and it only shows 'Remove', no option to install , at least on my Nightly build.
That's by design. Any extension that you already have installed will say that.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Cassette wrote:
TheVisitor wrote:Was just checking on AMO (addons Mozilla) for this addon, and it only shows 'Remove', no option to install , at least on my Nightly build.
That's by design. Any extension that you already have installed will say that.
OK, did not know that, thanks.. I only have 2 addons, Forecastfox and uBlockOrigin
So not real familiar since I don't do a lot of addons , being a Nightly tester for years I like to keep it a close to basic as I can.