Favicon Picker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Well, what browser are you using? Because it's not working for me [the permanent icon change after setting it]. Unless the bookmark icon bug was fixed after the 10/01/04 nightly build or is fixed in the official PR release (which is probably what you're using). :?:
Last edited by oldtimer on October 10th, 2004, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
faxmaster

Post by faxmaster »

I'm using 20041010 and it won't install for me, either.
Just the fax, ma'am.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

oldtimer wrote:Well, what browser are you using? Because it's not working for me [the permanent icon change after setting it]. Unless the bookmark icon bug was fixed after the 10/01/04 nightly build or is fixed in the official PR release (which is probably what you're using). :?:

I'm using the release build.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1
A extensions is not a bandaid. Generally speaking, it's more difficult to fix a bug via a extension than to write a patch. And your "bug" is not reproducible.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

The icon doesn't change when I click OK in the Properties dialog. Based on the error that appears in the JS console, I'm guessing this is due to a recent API change.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041009 Firefox/0.10

Error: [Exception... "Not enough arguments [nsIBookmarksService.updateBookmarkIcon]" nsresult: "0x80570001 (NS_ERROR_XPC_NOT_ENOUGH_ARGS)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://faviconpicker/content/faviconpicker.js :: anonymous :: line 110" data: no]
Source File: chrome://faviconpicker/content/faviconpicker.js
Line: 110
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

Jesse:
I fixed that regression a month ago. Please install the latest versions,
http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/mozzarel/addon ... r0_2_2.xpi
or
http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/mozzarel/addon ... r0_2_3.xpi
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Thanks. You might want to update the link in the first post in this thread to point to the newest version.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

And it works great. I now have the favicon form http://del.icio.us/ as the icon for the post-to-delicious bookmarklet.

The process went roughly like this:
1. Figure out the URL for the favicon.
2. Save it.
3. Convert to PNG (probably not needed)
4. Right-click the bookmark.
5. Click "Browse...".
6. Find the file.

It seems like it could be easier... maybe a "Use the current site's icon" button next to the "Browse..." button?
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

Sounds a good idea. This extension is "Picker", so at first, I was going to add "output this favicon" button, but as apparently no room for such a bloat, I discarded the plan. Where to put another button?
Martin Heller

Post by Martin Heller »

I collected heaps of icons in one folder to pick them using that fine extension. It would be helpful if it could remember the last used folder, so I wouldn't have to navigate each time from "Eigene Dateien" to my icon folder.

A more severe issue: When I open a bookmark's properties just to change the name or add a keyword, the favicon which I picked long before will be gone after clicking "ok". When I make a modification like that I always browse again to the same icon and pick it again. That's laborious isn't it?

Martin
HalloFreun.de, HanseNet, GeMail, AntiVirPE, Trojancheck
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0, Extensions: BlankLast, GoogleBar, Linky, undoclosetab and more
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

Martin Heller wrote:I collected heaps of icons in one folder to pick them using that fine extension. It would be helpful if it could remember the last used folder, so I wouldn't have to navigate each time from "Eigene Dateien" to my icon folder.

This is not reproducible with my winxp. Anyway, implemented.

A more severe issue: When I open a bookmark's properties just to change the name or add a keyword, the favicon which I picked long before will be gone after clicking "ok". When I make a modification like that I always browse again to the same icon and pick it again. That's laborious isn't it?

This is a bug. Thank you. Fixed.

http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/~mozzarel/addo ... r0_2_5.xpi
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

Hello, great extention :) Is anyone having problems with the favicon at www.winamp.com? It always loads a blank icon for me. I know an icon is there, I've seen it before, but in all recent Firefox versions (since probably 0.7 and up) it doesn't load right. Any ideas? And does anyone have a winamp icon I can use :P

*edit* try the forums if the icon does't load on the winamp index. http://forums.winamp.com/

*edit2* if anyone is interested you can use this as an icon: http://forums.winamp.com/images/on.gif
As for the site itself, I reported the problem so maybe they'll get around to fixing it
Martin Heller

Post by Martin Heller »

Thank you for fixing the bug.

I did not tell the first issue accurately. I just have to navigate to the icon folder after a new start of firefox. There is a path visible via about config: "browser.download.lastDir". Wouldn't it be nice to have a "faviconpicker.lastDir"?
Or does it exist and just doesn't work for me?

@Zulithe: that icon seems to be delivered with a wrong mime type.

Martin
HalloFreun.de, HanseNet, GeMail, AntiVirPE, Trojancheck
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0, Extensions: BlankLast, GoogleBar, Linky, undoclosetab and more
Lost User 12174

Post by Lost User 12174 »

is there any way to allow Favicon Picker to ignore the 16kb favicon.ico file limit?
Cyrris

Post by Cyrris »

Yeh, I asked Torisugari about it a little while ago. In about:config, just find faviconpicker.sizelimit, and change it to what you want.
Lost User 12174

Post by Lost User 12174 »

Cyrris wrote:Yeh, I asked Torisugari about it a little while ago. In about:config, just find faviconpicker.sizelimit, and change it to what you want.
excellent.

now if only the file size limit would be slightly increased in the browser itself...