Favicon Picker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

GURT wrote:
Cyrris wrote:Yeh, I asked Torisugari about it a little while ago. In about:config, just find faviconpicker.sizelimit, and change it to what you want.
excellent.

now if only the file size limit would be slightly increased in the browser itself...

Instead, maybe this was what was actually affecting me, not a bug. I'll try testing this out. It could be that many sites, or the ones I visited, exceed the 16kb limit for a favicon. But, if I change the setting and it still happens, then I have symptoms of the bug.

GURT, what would you recommend I change the max size to? I'm not trying to break Firefox here or make it act any weirder than it should.
Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
Lost User 12174

Post by Lost User 12174 »

oldtimer wrote:
GURT wrote:
Cyrris wrote:Yeh, I asked Torisugari about it a little while ago. In about:config, just find faviconpicker.sizelimit, and change it to what you want.
excellent.

now if only the file size limit would be slightly increased in the browser itself...

Instead, maybe this was what was actually affecting me, not a bug. I'll try testing this out. It could be that many sites, or the ones I visited, exceed the 16kb limit for a favicon. But, if I change the setting and it still happens, then I have symptoms of the bug.

GURT, what would you recommend I change the max size to? I'm not trying to break Firefox here or make it act any weirder than it should.
i changed mine to 4000

see the link in my signature.
tombik

Post by tombik »

For me it has never worked in the past and also today it does not work.
Tried all tricks with filesize, set all in about:config to true, nothing.
I pick an icon, close the dialog, nothing changes, annoying at bookmarks without a favicon.
WinXPSP1,FF1.0,FIP0.2.5,Theme Apollo
:(

Tombik
tombik

Post by tombik »

*Bump*
RaiseMachine

Post by RaiseMachine »

There may be CSS elements in your theme that may be causing the problem.

I had the same trouble (from v1.0 onwards) until I checked my theme, and now it works perfectly.
"Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural ?" - Bill Hicks
"Money is the Schrodinger's Cat of economics." - Robert Anton Wilson
"It's not a bug, it's two features having a fight in the pub car-park." - Me
tombik

Post by tombik »

Tried with fresh profile and standardtheme.
FIP Sizelimit up to 164000.
browser.chrome.favicons=true

No change, nothing.

Tombik
ACiDbaby

Post by ACiDbaby »

tombik wrote:Tried with fresh profile and standardtheme.
FIP Sizelimit up to 164000.
browser.chrome.favicons=true

No change, nothing.

Tombik

Hrm, I edited the sizelimit to 164000 through about:config, and was able to load larger sized favicons that I wasn't able to before the change... Didn't even have to restart Firefox either. Sorry, don't know what to tell ya :\
tombik

Post by tombik »

Problem solved:
Using PNG instead of ICO made it!
Funny!

Tombik
WildCide

Where are the favicons?

Post by WildCide »

*bump* I've been using favicon picker for a while and i love it, but there's one thing that's always holding me back. Where does FireFox store the favicons? I read that they are stored in the bookmarks file, but how can i view and use them? I want to edit some of them or assign them to other bookmarks. Somebody please help.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

1) Go in your profile folder.
2) Open bookmarks.html in a plain text editor (not Firefox [or you can open it in Firefox and do a View Source, but just opening it in a plain text editor saves a step]).
3) Scroll to the code block for the desired bookmark with a favicon applied (can either look at the URL in the A HREF tag or the title further down in the block).
4) There should be a part that says ICON="[bunch of crazy stuff]" (where [bunch of crazy stuff] starts with "data:image"), copy the [bunch of crazy stuff] part.
5) Paste this in Firefox's Location [URL] Bar and Go.
6) The image in its actual "image" form will be loaded in Firefox. You can right-click and Save As or anything like that from here.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Tatsfield

Post by Tatsfield »

I used and liked the Favicon extention but with the advent of FF2 it is no longer is compatible. Anyone got any suggestion what might be used instead to achieve the same results? Not having this facility in the basic FF is strange but not being able to use an add-on to achieve the results would be dreadful (for me)
Win7 - Firefox 29.0.1 Thunderbird 24.5.0
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Tatsfield wrote:I used and liked the Favicon extention but with the advent of FF2 it is no longer is compatible...

The Favicon Picker ext itself, still works fine, just needs to be made compatible. Easiest way, is just to use this : http://www.oxymoronical.com/web/firefox/nightly
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Tatsfield

Post by Tatsfield »

Thank you for directing me to one of the most useful Firefox add-ons I've encountered in that it makes many other useful Firefox add-ons usable when I thought that they were lost to me.
Win7 - Firefox 29.0.1 Thunderbird 24.5.0
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

Favicon Picker 2
Note: you have to uninstall the original Favicon Picker first before install this extension

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."