[Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
StoneCold

Re: [Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Post by StoneCold »

squashr1979:

I'm so sorry, that I couldn't answer before. Check your PMs. :)

German language file is up-to-date now.

Keep on your good work.
ademc

Post by ademc »

Hi,

I like this extension, but would like to make some tweaks. Can you point me in the right direction (in terms of what I need to edit)?

What I'd like to do is remove the Delete Confirm box and just have the action default to "Remove from List" when the delete key is pressed.

Thanks
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

ademc wrote:What I'd like to do is remove the Delete Confirm box and just have the action default to "Remove from List" when the delete key is pressed.

First option is to use the shortcut key. The "Remove from List" button has the e underlined so typing cntl-e will push that button (in English, other languages may use a different key).

Second option is to use the key sequence of delete, down-arrow (or up-arrow depending on your default for delete file), and enter.

Third option is to remove lines 52 and 53 from downloadmgrOverlay.xul so it goes back to the default behavior.

I changed this because I was always hitting delete to delete the file, just like in Windows explorer. Instead it removed the file from the list, without a prompt to stop me. I thought about making this change optional, but decided that the first two options weren't that bad and it wasn't worth it. Maybe I'll make this optional in 0.9.2 (not 0.9.1 because that is going to be 0.9.0 with more locales translated at babelzilla).
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

You may have noticed that 0.9.1 has been released. It the same as 0.9.0 but with more locales and a small bug fix. I have released it on AMO as well, so automatic updates will happen whenever they approve it (sometime in the next week or so).
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

squashr1979 wrote:You may have noticed that 0.9.1 has been released. It the same as 0.9.0 but with more locales and a small bug fix. I have released it on AMO as well, so automatic updates will happen whenever they approve it (sometime in the next week or so).

It took a little more than a week but it is finally released on AMO. It got caught in an AMO bug where it wasn't added the the queue of add-ons waiting for review ](*,) . Once I found out what was happening, and sent them an email, they reviewed and released it in 40 minutes.

I have a few small ideas for 0.9.2 but I'm going to wait to see if there is any feedback on 0.9.1. The only real bug I have is under Firefox 3.7a1pre and I want to wait for a real alpha before I work on it. I read that they plan on a 3.7 alpha within the next few weeks.
canbeiro

Post by canbeiro »

Congratulations, squashr, for the design improvements on version 0.9.1. I liked them.

I also want to sugest another simple improvement in the design of dmt: change the color of the information bar (? to a bright yellow?), so that it contrast more clearly with the download lines.

Thank you for the great extension !
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

canbeiro wrote:I also want to sugest another simple improvement in the design of dmt: change the color of the information bar (? to a bright yellow?), so that it contrast more clearly with the download lines.

DMT doesn't select the color. In 0.9.1 they are toolbars and use the same color as the toolbars at the top (Navigation, bookmarks, etc.). If you install a theme (one which changes the toolbar color) then it changes to match the theme. If I set the color in DMT then I'll have a bunch of angry users, wanting the color to match their theme. I know this because I had angry users of 0.8.5, which wanted just that :wink:. It's one of the big changes I made from 0.8.6 to 0.9.0. I don't even want to think about turning it back :cry:.
canbeiro

Post by canbeiro »

DMT doesn't select the color. In 0.9.1 they are toolbars and use the same color as the toolbars at the top (Navigation, bookmarks, etc.). If you install a theme (one which changes the toolbar color) then it changes to match the theme. If I set the color in DMT then I'll have a bunch of angry users, wanting the color to match their theme. I know this because I had angry users of 0.8.5, which wanted just that :wink:. It's one of the big changes I made from 0.8.6 to 0.9.0. I don't even want to think about turning it back

Thank you for your kind answer, squash.

What I understood is that the color of the dmt information bar will always be the same of the firefox toolbar (?because both are made of the same object?). Excuse me, but I think both attend very different functions (do you agree?), so their tie should be untied.

Will some people be unpleased with the change ? Well, I believe more will be pleased, but let's try to satisfy both groups. One way, I think, is to let the user choose the color he prefers for the information bar. Is it possible ?

See you. Thanks again.
Merk07

Re: "Save As" - [Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Post by Merk07 »

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not, but I have a feature request.

Is there any way to have a "save as" option added? When I right click on a dowloaded file, I often want to move it to a location other than the default download folder. As it stands now, I must open the file and then save it as something else or open a file manager and move it to the new location.

Thanks!
squashr1979

Re: "Save As" - [Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Post by squashr1979 »

mkreindler wrote:I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not, but I have a feature request.

Is there any way to have a "save as" option added? When I right click on a dowloaded file, I often want to move it to a location other than the default download folder. As it stands now, I must open the file and then save it as something else or open a file manager and move it to the new location.

This is the best place to post this.

I'll think about it. The right click is handled by the Download Manager and it is impossible to "tweak". The only way is for DMT to completely take over right click processing. Then I could add right click features like this, and others. The drawback is I'm more rewriting than tweaking, which is against my DMT philosophy.
Merk07

Post by Merk07 »

Thanks for thinking about it. It just seems to me that it should not take multiple, lengthy steps to save a downloaded file to its desired location. Since I have no clue as to the technical. Issues involved, I defer to your expertise and judgment. Thanks for all the excellence you share with the Firefox community.

Mitch
Jim too

Post by Jim too »

mlreindler, do you have the option "always ask me where to save files set"? I always get a dialog box asking where to save the file which allows setting the location and/or changing the file name. This is standard Firefox. Perhaps I really don't understand what you are asking.
Merk07

Post by Merk07 »

I do have that option set. But the default download file is simply an inbox. Often, the downloaded file needs to be saved to a project file that is never the same as the default download file. Does that make sense?
Jim too

Post by Jim too »

Unfortunately it isn't clear to me what action you want. Perhaps if you could list the steps you use now to accomplish the task it would help clarify what you are looking for.
Merk07

Post by Merk07 »

Fair enough. Here goes.

I have DMT set to download all files to a default directory. That is where most files should automatically go. But not infrequently, I want to save a file to another directory. To do that, I must either (1) open the downloaded file in an application and "save as" to another location or (2) open the download list list, right click "open containing folder" and then copy/paste or drag the file to a new folder.

To simplify this process, I am hoping to have a "save file as" (or "move file to") button added to the DMT options or the right-click menu.

Does that make sense? Thanks for taking the time to understand this issue so thoroughly.

Mitch