[Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Jim too

Re: [Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Post by Jim too »

I see now. I have Firefox set to always ask where to download so I always get the dialog box where I select the folder and get to change the name. If you haven't experimented with this setting it might be worth giving it a "test drive" for a few days.
Merk07

Post by Merk07 »

Thanks for that suggestion, but I have experimented with that setting before and found it annoying. Even when I used it, there were times that, after downloading a file to my 'default' location, I wanted to change where it was stored. Thanks again for your help.
Merk07

Post by Merk07 »

I will add that one of the annoyances with "ask me where to download" was that it did not allow me to rename the file. So even after I downloaded a file, I still had to open the folder and rename it to something that made sense to me.
DMCrimson

Post by DMCrimson »

mkreindler: There's another extension for that - Save link to... or something similar as it's name. works fine for me. You can define your own locations with that.
Jim too

Post by Jim too »

mkreindler wrote:I will add that one of the annoyances with "ask me where to download" was that it did not allow me to rename the file. So even after I downloaded a file, I still had to open the folder and rename it to something that made sense to me.

The dialog box I see allows me to specify the folder and/or change the name of the file.
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

DMCrimson wrote:mkreindler: There's another extension for that - Save link to... or something similar as it's name. works fine for me. You can define your own locations with that.

I think it's Download Sort.
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
searcher123

Post by searcher123 »

Very excellent add-on, I must thanks for it =D>.

But I have a problem with it too: some times when I download a file, the separate download windows is not opened and I should open it with hand from Tools menu. What is the problem?! :-k
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

If you have DMT 0.9.1 then I'm not sure why the window doesn't always open automatically. Earlier versions had a problem where it would never open (not sometimes) unless the open after a delay option was set. Check the first page of options for "Open the Download Manager after a delay of X ms" and "Close it when all downloads are finished". If a download finishes quickly then these settings can cause the window not to open (the defaults of 0 ms and an unchecked close option should never show this problem).

I've started working on 0.9.2. So far I've fixed the options to work for Firefox 3.7a1, added a couple languages from BabelZilla (ru-RU and et-EE), and changed the sidebar to display icons only for the buttons (showing the text makes the buttons too wide for the sidebar). I'm thinking I'll probably restrict the changes for this version to ones that don't need new translations from BabelZilla. That way I can get it out sooner (I have many reports about not working for 3.7a1) and 0.9.3 will have the changes that need translations. The drawback is there are some good changes I'd like to do that won't make 0.9.2.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
searcher123

Post by searcher123 »

squashr1979 wrote:If you have DMT 0.9.1 then I'm not sure why the window doesn't always open automatically. Earlier versions had a problem where it would never open (not sometimes) unless the open after a delay option was set. Check the first page of options for "Open the Download Manager after a delay of X ms" and "Close it when all downloads are finished". If a download finishes quickly then these settings can cause the window not to open (the defaults of 0 ms and an unchecked close option should never show this problem)(...)

Yes, I have DMT_v0.9.1. Also "Open the Download Manager after a delay of X ms" and "Close it when all downloads are finished" are checked and "Open the Download Manager after a delay of X ms" is set to 0ms. Before my previous letter, I changed 0 ms to 2 ms and unchecked "Close it when all downloads are finished" too. But the problem was not solved.

I think (I am not sure to now) this problem is appeared (of course some times not always) when I am saving a picture that is not loaded completely in browser. When I will save such a pictures, the progress bar in download window will wait to the loading be completed by browser and then the image will be saved. During this situations, download windows some times is not opened. I think so because one time when I was saving two incomplete loaded pictures, the download window was not appeared and I opened it by hand, but when one of the pictures was saved successfully, the windows was closed automatically, however, other picture was waiting for saving (when your add-on is disabled, in this situations the default FF download window will wait to other picture be saved before the window be closed automatically).

At the end, I must thanks for your good work again. Support this add-on as previous, good man :wink:

Regards

PS: Is it possible this problem is appeared because a conflict with another FF add-on on my system?
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

The last post prompted me to compare DMT and the default download manager to see why they are different. It goes back to a feature that was added in DMT 0.7.1 and I removed later because it caused too many bugs. A side effect of this feature was that DMT had to keep track of how many downloads are active itself. With that feature gone, I no longer have to do that and can use the count built into Firefox. The built in count adds a download even before it starts, while the DMT one couldn't count until it was told a download was starting (which happened after clicking any OK buttons on save-as screens for example).

DMT 0.9.2 now uses the built in count and should behave correctly.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

Can not open the download manager from the downloads finished desktop alert. The desktop alert has clickable link the reopens (if it's configure to close) the built-in download manager.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

al_9x wrote:Can not open the download manager from the downloads finished desktop alert. The desktop alert has clickable link the reopens (if it's configure to close) the built-in download manager.

I tried this and had no problem with the link opening the download manager. What I did see is that it opens the window view, even if the tab or sidebar view is selected. I know why it does this, but am not sure how to fix it. I have a theory but my first try didn't work.
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

squashr1979 wrote:I tried this and had no problem with the link opening the download manager

Turns out to be a foxyproxy bug, it prevents the built-in download manager from opening.
BipolarBear

Post by BipolarBear »

Minor problem with Download Manager Tweak 0.9.2: After the "Clear List" button is clicked, the information area at the top remains populated with whatever download was last selected (i.e. the From/To/Date stuff).
her34

Post by her34 »

Hi, i'm requesting 2 features:

1) Custom window title. When download manager window is called, it currently has title of "%complete, #files". Can you add an option to customize the title. So user can choose something like "time-remaining, speed, #files".

2) Temporary download folder. Can you create an option to have firefox first download to a temporary download folder designated by user in addon preference, then when download completes, move file to download folder designated in firefox options? Sometimes downloads get interrupted and having incomplete files mixed into download folder is a headache.

Thank you for consideration