[Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
squashr1979

Re: [Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Post by squashr1979 »

1) Custom window title.
2) Temporary download folder.

1) I did some research and experimenting and I can change the window title to what I want. The question then becomes do I want to do it? If so, what options do I provide and how to I configure that? A special problem is language support. I noticed that the sidebar title does not follow the window title (the tab does). I'll probably fix the sidebar even if I don't implement this request.

2) I suppose this could be done. I don't personally have many interrupted downloads and don't see the problem. A request from someone else was to add the ability to move files to other directories after they are downloaded, not automatically like you want, but on user request. They want to always download to a temporary directory and either delete the file or move it to a permanent directory, after they've had a chance to check it out. That sounds like something I would use myself and I'll probably implement it someday. Maybe that would be enough to satisfy you as well. If not I'll keep it on the list for some future date, but only after I do the move on request.

I am looking at the "Clear List" leaving info at the top instead of clearing it bug. It's not the simple fix I was hoping for, but I will take a harder look at it eventually.

I am slowly working on 0.9.3. Most of my time to this point has been to work even better with themes. I have ten of the top themes to test with and now work pretty well with all of them, except maybe the Walnut theme. I can now change the buttons in the download list to be text or icon, just like the buttons in the toolbar. That way you can use those buttons, even if you hate my icons.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
her34

Post by her34 »

Thanks for response

1) I did some research and experimenting and I can change the window title to what I want. The question then becomes do I want to do it? If so, what options do I provide and how to I configure that? A special problem is language support. I noticed that the sidebar title does not follow the window title (the tab does). I'll probably fix the sidebar even if I don't implement this request.

In regards to configuring, perhaps set it up similar to how header/footer for printing websites can be configured in firefox page setup?

3 drop down boxes with the relevant options:
%complete
#files
overall download speed
time remaining
etc

2) I suppose this could be done. I don't personally have many interrupted downloads and don't see the problem. A request from someone else was to add the ability to move files to other directories after they are downloaded, not automatically like you want, but on user request. They want to always download to a temporary directory and either delete the file or move it to a permanent directory, after they've had a chance to check it out. That sounds like something I would use myself and I'll probably implement it someday. Maybe that would be enough to satisfy you as well. If not I'll keep it on the list for some future date, but only after I do the move on request.

I would still request to always automatically move, so please keep it on your list. I visit foreign websites and interrupted downloads tend to happen often.
bob1

Post by bob1 »

I didn't read through this thread but has anyone noticed the problem where if you already have the manager open and you start a new download everything that was in the manager goes blank and you don't see anything even the download you just started.. BUT, if you close the manager and reopen it everything is back and your current download is going along like nothing happened.. This is consistent happens every time.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I've never heard of this bug. It certainly doesn't happen to me. Once the manager is open (in a tab for me), I usually don't close it until I'm done all my downloading for the day. As a result, most of my downloads are done with the manager already open and I should see this bug all the time. Are you on OSX or Linux? I only have access to Windows for testing.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
bob1

Post by bob1 »

I'm on Windows 7.. And I haven't used it as a tab just the regular downloads window.
angussf

Post by angussf »

Feature request: Limit Download History ... Firefox Download History has two options: Everything downloaded or Nothing. If you keep your download history and you download a lot, it takes a LONG time to load the Downloads window. I'd like to know the last 2-5 days of downloads, or the last 25 files downloaded. I know DMT can remove files from the history when the download is complete. Would it be possible to add an "Aging" or "Max Number" feature or both?
GeoApps // in sunny Tucson, Arizona, USA (but it's a dry heat)
-=+=- "Work is for people who can't golf." -=+=-
angussf

Post by angussf »

FWIW Download Status Bar has a "Trim Download History" option.
GeoApps // in sunny Tucson, Arizona, USA (but it's a dry heat)
-=+=- "Work is for people who can't golf." -=+=-
AmorAmor

Post by AmorAmor »

Feature Request: I was wondering if add an option "move tab to first" when you put the download manger in a tab. This would do wonder for organization wise b/c the download tab will always be in one place and you won't have to search for it when you have many tabs open.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I added limiting download history to my list of things to do. It's not the first time it's been asked for. I personally wouldn't use it, but when I visit my mom I can see that she would benefit :roll:.

I don't see a way to move the download tab. I'm sure there is a way, because you can drag and drop tabs, it's just not documented. I'm keeping it a low priority because you can always jump to the download tab by: clicking the download toolbar button, selecting the tools->Downloads menu item, or typing cntl-J.
rwmtiger

Post by rwmtiger »

ok. it is nice and all. i do have this problem. how do you uninstall. i have uninstall. it still show i have that set up.

:?: :?: :?:
rwmtiger

Post by rwmtiger »

nvm. i just found out some thing on my other pc. if no one know this. i think they making firefox with this in it. well. firefox 3.7a5pre seem to have it. i didnt install on other pc. it funny and weird. :)
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

rwmtiger wrote:nvm. i just found out some thing on my other pc. if no one know this. i think they making firefox with this in it. well. firefox 3.7a5pre seem to have it. i didnt install on other pc. it funny and weird. :)

I have a feeling, that if they were going to include DMT with Firefox 3.7, that I might know something about it :wink:. DMT is installed and removed like any other Firefox addon. It only gets installed if someone has the intelligence and good taste to download and install it :).
canbeiro

Post by canbeiro »

Hi.

My Firefox had became vveerryy sllllooowwwlllyyy..., more and more..., stealing me a lot of time. I was nearly to make google chrome my default browser. Then, I thought: Maybe the cause is in my download list, maybe it is too long. Then I removed all its files, what took about 1 hole minute, and... eureka ! Yes, my Firefox returned to be very quick, to respond immediately.

I told this short real story because I believe it is and will happen to many DownLoad Manager Tweak users. And, you know, despite it had a happy end in my case, I would like it had not happened, and not happen again.

Then I searched the 'Options' for available features that remove the downloaded files from the list automatically, but the only one that I found is to remove them immediately after the download is complete. It is not what I want, because I frequently use the list to open the file or the folder of my recently downloaded files. On the other side, I very rarely use it with files which I downloaded more than 1 week ago.

So, what I was looking for is a feature to remove automatically the files which download was completed a week before, or, better, was completed a number of days that we could choose.

Well, I believe it is already clear what I am suggesting.

Thanks.

Marcos
canbeiro

Post by canbeiro »

Well, I just found that, when I removed the files from the download list, I also deleted the downloaded files. This wasn't what I wanted. (It seems now to me that a warning about this was displayed, but I overlooked it.) Then, I went to the windows' Trash, to recover my deleted files, but they aren't there.

Well, another suggestion: Send the deleted files to the Trash, instead of to delete them definitely.

By the way : Is there a way I can recover them ?

Thanks.

Marcos
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

Look up 5-6 posts and you will see that I have already added limiting download history to my list of things to do.

If you chose to "Delete File" instead of "Remove From List" then the file is deleted. There are undelete programs available, but they are mostly for pay programs. I never found a decent free one. Even if you buy one it can only restore a file that hasn't been overwritten. The longer you go before trying to undelete, the fewer files you can restore.

I'm not sure about sending files to the trash. DMT is standard Javascript that is supposed to work on any OS, like Windows, Linux, and mac-OSX. If Firefox Javascript has a generic way to move files to each OS's equivalent of Trash then I can do it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find such a thing.