[Ext] Bookmarks menu v.1.12

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
hatdi

Re: [Ext] Bookmarks menu v.1.12

Post by hatdi »

So the problem happens when you delete a folder.
But the only way to fix a problem is to reproduce it, so then I can fix it. So I tried to create some folders, add some bookmarks there, then I delete the folders but no problem appeared.
I suppose this is a special case, so I'm suggesting disable the add-on, delete the folders and re-enable it.
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

As I said in my previous posts the problem happens when i delete bookmarks or when I import bookmarks from html file.

I have made some tests on different bookmarks and concluded that the problem is not because of invalid bookmarks. The time it hangs depends on the number of bookmarks added or deleted. Adding about 300 bookmarks takes almost 30 seconds. As I mentioned before adding 1400 bookmarks WITHOUT the addon takes only 2 seconds.

(from the developer comments)
"If you have problem when adding this add-on with CPU load, please check your bookmarks for invalid - or not working urls (including live bookmarks) and remove them.
This add-on observes for bookmarks changes (in order to have up-to-date information) and Firefox keeps checking those invalid bookmarks and all that concludes to CPU load."

Can you explain exactly what check-ups does the addon perform ? and why does it have to do it if as you said in the developer comments FF already does them (and does them fast) ?
hatdi

Post by hatdi »

Hello sorry for replying late, but in order to reply I had to review again my code which haven't touch it for a while.
Anyway, here is what you're asking:

The add-on when starts get all bookmarks properties (based on your options - bookmarks toolbar items and/or search) to build the menu and adds event listeners on clicks (on bookmarks).
Then it only observes for changes in those items as Firefox api suggests. The changes may be if a bookmark added, removed, moved or changed.
I didn't said that the add-on does any checkups. I said that Firefox does those checkups.
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

I didn't said that the add-on does any checkups.

So have you any idea why importing 300 bookmarks to a new profile with no bookmarks takes 30 seconds with the BM addon while adding 1400 bookmarks takes only 2 seconds without the addon ?
hatdi

Post by hatdi »

Hello, I tried to reproduce the problem by importing around 150 bookmarks with no problem, then I finally found around 1600 and firefox hang for some seconds too.

So I suppose its depending on the number of bookmarks and of course the system.
The problem occurs because in the observer the bookmarks being loaded every time, so i may have to find a way to avoid this when multiple items added or removed.
I'll research it and keep you informed.
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

[-o< Good Luck !!
hatdi

Post by hatdi »

Issue has been solved :) and update of add-on should be available (version 1.5)

In my test firefox added 1600 bookmarks within 3 or 4 seconds and add-on loaded bookmarks only twice.
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

Great !! =D> :D =D>
Thanks a lot hatdi
Imported 1400 bookmarks - 2 seconds
deleted 1400 bokkmarks - 1 second.
Finally I can say that my tenaciousness and patience paid off.

Now I can recommend this useful addon to my friends. Until now The addon worked fine most of the time but I won't recommend other people an addon that sometimes hangs the browser.
maybe now I'll also write a short review in the AMO's page.
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

1. please fix this bug: Choosing 'properties" from the right-click context-menu doesn't work
2. Can you add an option (to the settings) to open bookmarks (by left-clicking the mouse) in a new tab instead of the same tab (like in the popularTMP addon).

TIA.
hatdi

Post by hatdi »

Bug fixed :) (firefox api changes as rapidly as it's versions)
Also I added the option you want. Update should be available soon.
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

First, thanks for the quick new update.

I think this functionality would be better (in case the user checked the new "left-click" checkbox)
and it It would also have the same behavior as opening bookmarks with Firefox Tab Mix Plus addon)

left-click - open in a new focus tab [this is in my opinion the most common use)
ctrl-click - open in a new background tab

shift-click - open context-menu
context-menu (it will have all the 3 options):
- open in the same tab
- open in a new foreground tab
- open in a new background tab
Last edited by LL25255252 on April 10th, 2013, 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
hatdi

Post by hatdi »

Well left-click open in a new focus tab (changed that just now since I had to make another change - for a full AMO review)

As for your rest requests I will check them some other time.
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

Thanks again.
"left-click open in a new focus tab" was my main request and it has been fulfilled :)

The rest of my previous post is less important.
TFGeorge

Post by TFGeorge »

A bug report : Firefox 17.0.5 ESR, Bookmark Menu 1.61
others extensions that could conflict :
extensions unrelated to bookmarks but big ones : NoScript 2.6.6.1, Tab Mix Plus 0.4.1.0
extensions related to bookmarks : Old Add Bookmark Behavior 3.1, OpenBook 2.0.1.1, SortPlaces 1.9.2, Undo Bookmarks Menu 1.7

When I right click a bookmark from the toolbar icon > Properties > then change the NAME and/or LOCATION > Save
Or do the same thing through the Bookmark manager (the window called 'Library' in my Firefox)
* The change of NAME I made is not reflected in the toolbar icon cascading menu
* The LOCATION change is not applied when I hover or open the link from the toolbar icon cascading menu
However the change has really occured, but I need to restart Firefox to have it applied.

(Maybe an interaction with the SortPlaces extension : the change is applied without a restart of Firefox
if I change the order of the edited bookmark, and SortPlaces changes back this order to alphabetical)
hatdi

Post by hatdi »

I would appreciate if the extensions you mentioned accompanied with their links and also your system.
For example searching SortPlaces at Firefox add-ons didn't show any results: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... form=WINNT
Searching the web I found this version for only for a Mac. (although I can test it on a Mac Bookmarks menu developed at a windows system)