[Ext] DblClicker & KillSpinners & FlashStopper & Add-on Tbb

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
streetwolf

Re: [Ext] DblClicker & KillSpinners & FlashStopper & Add-on

Post by streetwolf »

yochaim..

Man what is it about cnn.com that doesn't like me? I installed AS 0.9.8 and now every time I go to cnn.com it will open up in the same tab this page -> http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/03/us/u-illi ... index.html. v0.9.7 does not do this. Once again a video is involved in this new problem. Any ideas to prevent 0.9.8 from always opening up this link?

Just noticed that the page being opened happens to be the lead story on cnn.com. It's the kidnapping story in my screenshot. Is 0.9.8 opening up this page because it's the first link?

Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

i reverted all changes except in the youtube handler to 0.97 (although it didn't make any issues for me) and uploaded it (newversions.zip)
let me know if it's better...
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

yochaim wrote:i reverted all changes except in the youtube handler to 0.97 (although it didn't make any issues for me) and uploaded it (newversions.zip)
let me know if it's better...
Yes, that did the trick. Below is the link to my uBO backup file that has all my settings and filter lists. If you want to import it into your uBO and see if videos on cnn.com behave as they do for me with AS it might shed some light on the problem.

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AtusZi2hwX-rgrdPVSMds9_eIrZIOQ
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

didn't really want to but did (import your config)
nothing continue to happen...
villeneuve

Post by villeneuve »

I just tried out 2.4.6b2 and can happily report, that it seems to have solved the problem with loading big sessions. The biggest session I tried was 244 tabs in 4 windows and it worked flawlessly! Great work yochaim!
Having the beta addon installed now will Firefox's addon-auto-update bring me back to release versions once there is a version newer as the beta?
Last question: 2.4.6b2 isn't e10s, is it?
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

hi villeneuve,

you get the latest of the channel (dev/release), so you you'll need to reinstall the release version when 2.4.6 will be approved (already waiting for review)...
starting with v2.4.5 FS is e10s compatible
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

yochaim...

I think I might have solved the auto play problem on cnn.com. When I last started out with a new profile about a month ago I added all my add-ons to it (AS and uBO included) and videos on cnn didn't autoplay. I then proceeded to copy a lot of the SQL databases from my normal profile to the new one so I wouldn't lose 'stuff'. I again created a new profile today and this time around I only copied over a few essential ones like cookies.sqlite, places.sqlite, the search DB. Testing this way for about an hour videos at cnn don't autoplay. It appears that perhaps one of the SQL files might have been the cause of the problem. Maybe permissions.sqlite.

Fingers crossed things continue to work.
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

if you suspect permissions issue you can use the ⓘ icon > More information > Permissions from the address bar to check the difference between the profiles...
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

yochaim.

FYI. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1379508 and it's Blocker for details. Seems to be an error on Mozilla's end.
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

yup. got hit on nightly. amazing...
Elhem Enohpi

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

Hi yochaim -

Sorry if this is already known, but there's a problem with Vimeo videos not playing manually, when Flashstopper is installed. For example:
https://vimeo.com/183181894

There's a work-around by pressing the "play" button three times.

Some Vimeo videos do play, for example:
https://vimeo.com/55640554

This is similar to the problems with media.autoplay.enabled=false also breaking Vimeo, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1231886 - the difference is that "videos using progressive playback will work and videos using MediaSource will not". However with that bug, no amount of pressing the play button works, so media.autoplay.enabled can't be used, and Flashstopper even with this problem is a better alternative. But it would be great if it could be fixed!

If there's any way you could figure out how to stop autoplay of isolated media elements too, that would also be great, since media.autoplay.enabled can't be used and the Mozilla bug assignee has been MIA for two years...
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

hi Elhem,

thanks for the detailed description of the issue...
the media.autoplay.enabled=false creates alot of problems in many sites since it only works for sync play from the click.
FS overrides the param after first click on the video element but sometimes it's not enough.
on vimeo i've found (a while back) that clicking on the poster (not the button) works well in both (autoplay.enabled) states with FS (verified on both videos).

let me know if it works for you.
Elhem Enohpi

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

Thanks, with FlashStopper installed, clicking on the video image rather than the play button does seem to work on Vimeo.

But I'm not sure if I was clear - FlashStopper seems to cause the problem I described, it's not related to the media.autoplay.enabled setting. Everyone who installs FlashStopper will find that the Play button on Vimeo doesn't work properly anymore.

Is it something you could possibly fix, or is it because of a bug in Firefox?
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

it is a quirk of vimeo (in the 1st kind of videos) where they call the video.play async from the mouseup event of the button (which causes problems with FS & media.autoplay.enabled=false)...
i'm not sure it's a big issue (if clicking on the poster works) but i'll look for a solution...
Elhem Enohpi

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

It's not a big issue for me anymore, now that I know the trick!

But the process was a bit frustrating. I had noticed that Vimeo wasn't working, and it took me quite some time to figure out that it wasn't any of my addons causing it, but that I'd set media.autoplay.enabled=false a while ago. Then I found the Firefox bug report for that, which led me to FlashStopper. But it still had a similar problem, so I had to come here to ask about it. Ok, now I have a pretty good solution, install FlashStopper and just click on the video instead of the Play button. And FlashStopper is better with its whitelisting and so on, than the simple on/off of media.autoplay.enabled. So that's good for me, I'm happy now, thanks for making FlashStopper and for the work-around for Vimeo! I wish I'd found FlashStopper in the first place. It would be a good idea to mention the Vimeo problem and work-around in the description of FlashStopper, so that people can find out about it more easily.

On the other hand, if FlashStopper won't be updated for Firefox 57, then there should be another solution. I don't know if that will be that Firefox fixes the bug (it seems they aren't even working on it), or someone else makes a web extension - I couldn't find any that work. I think ideally it should be integrated into the per-site Permissions available through Page Info, basically what Apple has done in the next Safari release. But it doesn't seem to be a priority for Firefox.

I'd like to make a comment in the Firefox bug report, so just to be clear, the fact that FlashStopper has problems with Vimeo has nothing to do with the code involved in media.autoplay.enabled=false? They are two independent sets of code that try to do a similar thing, and they both have problems with Vimeo. But your code is better, in that it works if you click on the video, while media.autoplay.enabled=false has no work-around, it's just impossible to play Vimeo videos. If Firefox bug 1231886 is fixed, that won't fix the problem in FlashStopper, and vice-versa. Is that correct?

So if you did manage to find a solution to the problem with Vimeo, then Firefox could maybe adopt the same approach for media.autoplay.enabled=false? I wonder how Apple is doing it...?