[Ext] DblClicker & KillSpinners & FlashStopper & Add-on Tbb

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
yochaim

Re: [Ext] DblClicker & KillSpinners & FlashStopper & Add-on

Post by yochaim »

it's not really a bug.
there is no simple solution to the issue of preventing autoplay and kipping page integrity and the ability to click play in a generic way...
consider this, you want video to play only when a user interaction caused the play. the straight forward solution is checking if a user event is being handled, but this is no good when the play was triggered async from the event (how would you decide it was related to the user event?). the other problem is that the controls or even the video are not in the correct state since they rely on video events that aren't firing.
b.t.w FS inserts a menu item to start a videos when they are covered by other elements, but this doesn't help on vimeo since part of the initialization comes from the click.
FS will not survive FF57+ but see http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14736506
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Hi yochaim..

Check out https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1379508. The fix released still affects AS as I mention near then end of the report.

I opened up a new bug report to fix the problems with 1379508; https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1381337. The dropdown list in AS are the ones on the More... page on the Extensions list.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

you should know that in AS i used alot of specific workarounds to achieve functionality that is not readily available in the api (since it is so shity). in relation to the opening of the button popup, i implemented a mechanism that lets you disable the addon (disable everywhere) with double-click on the button. it partially works in FF but to get the normal behavior you need long press (not just click).
in current nightly i get the menu without the css although click onthe menu items does work...
p.s the options page is also broken!
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

yochaim wrote:you should know that in AS i used alot of specific workarounds to achieve functionality that is not readily available in the api (since it is so shity). in relation to the opening of the button popup, i implemented a mechanism that lets you disable the addon (disable everywhere) with double-click on the button. it partially works in FF but to get the normal behavior you need long press (not just click).
in current nightly i get the menu without the css although click onthe menu items does work...
p.s the options page is also broken!
I get the Options page if you mean the one from the Extensions list. I'm on inbound so maybe this is a different problem that hasn't reached Nightly yet.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

Option page is there. clicking on the buttons (manage exceptions...) doesn't work...
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

yochaim wrote:Option page is there. clicking on the buttons (manage exceptions...) doesn't work...
OK... same for me. Do you think updating the new bug report I opened would help getting this issue fixed?

I turned off WE OOP and while the two Default dropdowns work on the Options page the two Website Permissions boxes opens up the Get Add-ons screen when I click on them.
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

usually in such cases i would debug the issue and make sure it's FF bug, but i have no interest in doing that (debugging WE).
as i told you AS is using a lot of unconventional stuff (which i've tested on chrome & previous FF), so i think it's best if you only report issues you can find in other WE add-ons, but this is your call...
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

yochaim wrote:usually in such cases i would debug the issue and make sure it's FF bug, but i have no interest in doing that (debugging WE).
as i told you AS is using a lot of unconventional stuff (which i've tested on chrome & previous FF), so i think it's best if you only report issues you can find in other WE add-ons, but this is your call...
Gotcha. It would be a shame to lose AS once WE is completed by Mozilla. I can also say that for other WE add-ons. ](*,)
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

it seems to me a css issue that is related to the popups not showing correctly when WE is remote (although the options in 'unremote' is also currently buggy)...
my assessment is that mozilla is much more invested in making WE compliant with chrome then anything else (like security, performance or implementing new api's) although they advertise to the contrary (most major add-ons that can be ported have already a chrome extension, so chrome wouldn't have an add-on advantage)... so this kind of issues will probably get fixed!
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

The fix https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1381337 for all the problems with AS and WE OOP seems to be fixed. It's only on inbound at this moment.
Elhem Enohpi

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

yochaim wrote:it's not really a bug.
there is no simple solution...
Nobody said it would be simple! :-) But it's certainly a bug, in the sense that it doesn't do what people expect. Especially media.autoplay.enabled=false, which completely breaks Vimeo with no workaround, and has an official bug number, 1231886. I haven't tried the new Safari yet, but I would guess Apple has figured out how to do it?

Even if it can't be solved in a generic way for all cases, it could be improved, especially for Vimeo. Given how popular it is, I imagine it could make sense to make a special exception. Is it not possible to tell the difference between a Vimeo video that's set to autoplay, and one that isn't, and then whitelist the ones that are not?

Or could you use a timer and only block autoplay if it's immediately after page load? Or allow it if it's within a few milliseconds of a click event? Just some ideas, of course I don't know the details of what's involved in the coding. But it's hard to imagine that it's not possible to solve it.

Whether you feel like working on it is of course up to you! Personally I'm ok now that I know about FS and the workaround trick, so thanks again for that. But if I can help in some way to get bug 1231886 fixed in Firefox, I'd like to.
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

maybe better wording would be 'it's not strictly a bug'...
of course it creates bad behavior but it is also related to the implementation of the players (see http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14395169 for discussion)
examples (media.autoplay.enabled=false no FS):
https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gi89rltPe ... autoplay=1 (you can't start the video)
https://support.jwplayer.com/customer/e ... n-method-1 (3 clicks to start)

anyways i'll consider fixing the vimeo issue in the next version

b.t.w probably very few people actually use media.autoplay.enabled=false
delicacy1

Post by delicacy1 »

https://www.topsante.com/medecine/derma ... bace-74637

unblockable using proactive either.
yochaim

Post by yochaim »

if your talking about the video at the bottom with the peppers than it doesn't start (but it does spin...) for me.
this one is a jwplayer with html5 video so it shouldn't start with the general handler (no pb is needed).
delicacy1

Post by delicacy1 »

General handler: does nothing.
Proactive: does nothing.
& the video plays here.

maybe you could try a french proxy, although i doubt the video would not start in the medical field because ur abroad..
test it on Pm v27.4 video rendering is different there.