Silvermel and Charamel - Themes for Firefox and Thunderbird

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ltsnow

Re: Silvermel and Charamel - Themes for Firefox and Thunderb

Post by ltsnow »

Thanks ShareBird for saying that you no longer have to set mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar to false, BUT if you do you have a delay when opening TB. First it draws the window without the titlebar and then quickly changes. Don't like that so I'm leaving it set to false.
6ber6

Post by 6ber6 »

Dear all,

After updating to last trunk version, there are problems on the composition pane.
See this image:

Thanks
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

ShareBird wrote:Unfortunately not... I was digging around with the preferences you described and came to very inconsistent results. Sometimes the message pane shows the summary when web page is selected for "View" - "Feed Message Body as" and sometimes the feed opens at the new tab as web when I've choose "Summary" at "Messages" and so on...

BUT - I'm seeing the same strange behavior using also the Default Theme.
MORE - The sets at the Appmenu Button are not the same as showed at the main menu. :shock:

Well, I tried again with some feeds. I used the old menu bar, not the new "app menu"
It seems, that it's working fine with
View -> Feed Message Body As -> Web Page
and
Message -> Open Feed Message -> Web Page in New Window
in case I'm opening new feeds or not changing preferences between reopening.
I get strange behavior openening an already read feed after changing the preferences as you describe.
Maybe this is a caching issue in Thunderbird, since the default theme is also affected?
kungfujoe

Post by kungfujoe »

Thunderbird's RSS reader has been messed up for many years. Thunderbird allows you to set, on a per-feed basis, whether you want to see a preview or a web page by default, but when you "View Feed Message Body as Default," it often falls back to "Preview" even for feeds that you specify "Web page" as the default for. A lot of RSS feeds don't have previews, so they show up blank. This is one of those Thunderbird bugs that has existed for YEARS and no one has bothered to properly fix it. It has nothing to do with Silvermel.

I was going to include a link to the BugZilla entry, and say that if you want to see this bug fixed to vote for the bug, but in searching through my BugZilla account, I can't find it! I know the bug was in the system years ago, and I think I may even have been the one to submit it. It looks like the bug has been deleted, with no record left, or my filter to search for all of the bugs I've entered or voted for is no longer working properly (the search only shows 13 bugs, and I know I've voted for a lot more than that!).
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

@6ber6:
This is a known problem. I will fix it in the next version. Anyway, thanks for reporting!

@Somebody:
Finally I was able to reproduce this issue. The problem was that, somehow, the preference mailnews.display.prefer_plaintext was set to false on my profile. After reset this pref I was able to see (better: to not see :-) ) what you mean... Strangely the option at menu to switch between plain text or HTML doesn't work properly (the whole rss view feature is quite buggy, IMHO).

I've needed to reproduce the problem to see how the proposed fix would impact backwards compatibility. (And also because I don't write, or remove any line of code without knowing exactly what I'm doing...)
Unfortunately this will for sure impact older versions in someway... But I've decided to implement the fix, it's better that it works with the current version.

The next dev version will fix the problem.
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
kungfujoe

Post by kungfujoe »

I think found the RSS bug, but it's apparently been fixed since I last tested it out
The bug I was following was https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=513652
This has been marked a duplicate of https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=550800 which has been fixed.

I'm seeing the same feed problem as "Somebody" though. For feeds that are in Summary mode, Silvermel 1.5.5_pretrunk_r5753 shows them as blank, but the Thunderbird default theme shows the summaries. Here are a couple screenshots illustrating the problem:
Thunderbird default theme, showing latest xkcd comic in preview mode
Silvermel theme, showing latest xkcd comic in preview mode
alta88

Post by alta88 »

while i would be the first to say feeds in Tb used to be a very big mess, this is no longer true as of Tb17 and even several releases ago. there's a lot of fud here. the View->Feed Message.. menu is a global override of the summary/web page pref, the 'default' is set on a feed folder in the subscribe dialog. the plaintext/html option applies to a feed summary the same as to any other email; it does not apply at all to a feed web page. opening a feed message is governed by Message->Open Feed.. with a feed item selected; 'New Window' means window or tab, per the Options Reading&Display pref.

if there is an issue with the new App Menu not exactly replicating the existing menu options well, a bug should be filed and maybe a core dev will address it.

(And also because I don't write, or remove any line of code without knowing exactly what I'm doing...)

sorry, but this statement is disproven ;) by the fact you copy/pasted the selected=false css without realizing what it was for and that it was/is not required nor should it be in any theme.
Unfortunately this will for sure impact older versions in someway...

no, it won't.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

alta88 wrote:
(And also because I don't write, or remove any line of code without knowing exactly what I'm doing...)

sorry, but this statement is disproven ;) by the fact you copy/pasted the selected=false css without realizing what it was for and that it was/is not required nor should it be in any theme.

Blaming my code I've found this:
my subversion log wrote:Revision: 4713
Author: Pardal
Date: 00:49:23, Freitag, 13. Mai 2011
* added code for New style feed summary body introduced with TB 3.0
----
Modified : /silvermel/trunk/src/chrome/messenger/messageBody.css

Indeed I've added this code because of the patch for Bug 438429 - Meta bug to fix several RSS Summary/Web Page bugs

Notice also this comment https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=497895#c12 for the body[selected=false] selector...
I presume this comment justifies the use of this rule, so I thought removing this rule will affect older versions.
But you know better than I, of course (you worked on that patch) ;-)
franckB

Post by franckB »

Hello,
TB17.0 window can not be moved if Silvermel is installed (1.5.4).
The message windows are movable.

Silvermel: 1.5.4 / TB17.0

Franck
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

franckB wrote:Hello,

Franck

In the TBird config editor change the pref "mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar" to false and you will be able to move it again. Or you can update to the dev build of Silvermel.
franckB

Post by franckB »

thank you it works!
FB
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

ltsnow wrote:
franckB wrote:Hello,

Franck

In the TBird config editor change the pref "mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar" to false and you will be able to move it again. Or you can update to the dev build of Silvermel.

Again: with the new dev version it's not necessary to do this!!! It would help me more if more people test the dev version, Itsnow...
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Gotcha ShareBird, but as I noted earlier the dev build causes a delay when it is drawing the titlebar. Not cosmetically pleasing.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Yes I know... I can try to solve this. Because Thunderbird has implemented the draw in titlebar feature differently as Firefox, I need to handle the whole thing inside my extension. Considering that this delay only occur at start up if you have closed TB in not maximized window, or when you switch between maximized and not maximized, I think this is really a minor issue...
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

It really is a minor problem. Vielen Dank für die harte Arbeit und haben eine sehr Frohe Weihnachten.