Silvermel and Charamel - Themes for Firefox and Thunderbird

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dlauber

Re: Silvermel and Charamel - Themes for Firefox and Thunderb

Post by dlauber »

Yep, just upgraded Thunderbird to version 52.0 (32-bit) and Charamel 2.0 works just fine even though Thunderbird insists that it is incompatible with TBird 52.0.

I hope you continue to develop this wonderful add-in. It's the only Thunderbird theme I've found that makes pleases my visual taste. I've been using it for years and very much appreciate your efforts.
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Post by ep2012 »

Willard McBain wrote:
ShareBird wrote:I do not believe that the future of my themes is very promising...
I'm certainly sad to hear that. Charamel and Silvermel are simply beautiful themes. No others come close. One of the reasons I've switched to the Firefox ESR version is to use them as long as possible.
I'll second that motion, although I don't use a theme on Fx, only on TB.

It's not just that the Silvermel is pretty, it makes it MUCH easier for me to find things in my TB as I have a left pane of folders that runs 10 miles long.

Please keep them updated for us.

Thank you :)
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
franckB

Post by franckB »

Hello,
It is unfortunate to have to do without silvermail for TB! No other theme will have been worth it.
Update TB52.0, silvermail no longer works.
The future is bleak for our favorite theme.

Franck
TechnoLurker

Post by TechnoLurker »

I use checkCompatability extension to get it to work and SilverMel runs fine. I don't know why it throws an error for the Appearance since in the install.rdf it looks like it should be fine for versions up to 52.0a2.

EDIT: Ah. Would that be because 52.0 is not alpha now?
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

TechnoLurker wrote:I use checkCompatability extension to get it to work and SilverMel runs fine. I don't know why it throws an error for the Appearance since in the install.rdf it looks like it should be fine for versions up to 52.0a2.

EDIT: Ah. Would that be because 52.0 is not alpha now?
Yes, that is exactly what it is. I changed both of the install.rdf files from 52.0a2 to 52.* and everything is fine.
TechnoLurker

Post by TechnoLurker »

I'm having trouble editing mine. I keep getting file is corrupt after I rezip and rename to xpi. What am I doing wrong?
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

TechnoLurker wrote:I'm having trouble editing mine. I keep getting file is corrupt after I rezip and rename to xpi. What am I doing wrong?
OK, here is what you do. First of all you should have the little program 7-zip installed. Now open the original xpi install file (charamel-2.0.1-fx+tb) with 7-zip. Edit the install.rdf file by changing 52.0a2 to 52.* for whichever program you are using Thunderbird or Firefox. Now go into the Charamel.xpi file and do the same thing and finally go into Silvermelxt.xpi and repeat the same thing. Each time you make a change 7-zip will ask you if you want to make the change and you say yes. When you are finished just install it. The problem you were having is because you are trying to rename the xpi file and you can't do that.
TechnoLurker

Post by TechnoLurker »

I was being a little simplistic there. I think it's a process thing. I already unzipped all 3 files and edited the install.rdf within each one, repacked and then renamed. Do I need to remove the meta-inf folder in silvermelxt? What settings do I need for 7-zip or do I leave that blank? Do I also need to change the Firefox GUID if I'm only using it for TB?
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

TechnoLurker wrote:I was being a little simplistic there. I think it's a process thing. I already unzipped all 3 files and edited the install.rdf within each one, repacked and then renamed. Do I need to remove the meta-inf folder in silvermelxt? What settings do I need for 7-zip or do I leave that blank? Do I also need to change the Firefox GUID if I'm only using it for TB?
Not quite sure what you are doing. You don't need to remove anything or rename anything. You just open it with 7-zip, edit the rtf files and close it. 7-zip does everything. You are never renaming it because you are just editing the xpi file. I don't know what you mean by settings in 7-zip.
axxel40

Post by axxel40 »

Itsnow wrote:OK, here is what you do. First of all you should have the little program 7-zip installed. Now open the original xpi install file (charamel-2.0.1-fx+tb) with 7-zip. Edit the install.rdf file by changing 52.0a2 to 52.* for whichever program you are using Thunderbird or Firefox. Now go into the Charamel.xpi file and do the same thing and finally go into Silvermelxt.xpi and repeat the same thing. Each time you make a change 7-zip will ask you if you want to make the change and you say yes. When you are finished just install it. The problem you were having is because you are trying to rename the xpi file and you can't do that.

"open" charamel-2.0.1-fx+tb, you find install.rdf, Charamel.xpi, Silvermelxt.xpi
install.rdf must be "edit", changing 52.0a2 to 52.*
Charamel.xpi must be "open" then changing 52.0a2 to 52.* by "edit" install.rdf as the first,
Silvermelxt.xpi must be "open" then changing 52.0a2 to 52.* by "edit" install.rdf as the first and second...

"edit" directly Charamel.xpi and Silvermelxt.xpi and make change = Corrupt file.... [-X
TechnoLurker

Post by TechnoLurker »

That's what I was doing wrong. I extracted the files to a folder and then packed them back up. Thanks to you both. Now it worked fine.
jkbrent

Post by jkbrent »

I hope this hasn't been asked before, but does anyone know how to reinstate color quoted text in Silvermel/Charamel for email replies? Thanks in advance!
TechnoLurker

Post by TechnoLurker »

Not sure, since I don't usually use colored text. The only way I do it is to select the text and then pick the color from the "a" with the black squiggle (the Choose color for text tool).
eudemus

Post by eudemus »

This is genius! (Simple though it is, it wouldn't have occurred to me to do this. Delighted to have Silvermel back!) Thank you very much for these instructions.

I'm using Linux, so this was simply a matter of using the usual archive manager, and then using a text editor from within the archive manager, saving the changes back into the archive each time. Great stuff. Simple, really, but much appreciated.
kungfujoe

Post by kungfujoe »

I don't know if Sharebird has any intention of releasing another version of these great themes, but I'm seeing that Firefox' new built-in media player has controls awkwardly overlaid on the video, because they're not incorporated into the browser theme. (e.g. videos on Washington Post stories use a format that the built-in player plays).