Silvermel and Charamel - Themes for Firefox and Thunderbird

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
kungfujoe

Re: Silvermel and Charamel - Themes for Firefox and Thunderb

Post by kungfujoe »

Silvermel doesn't appear to support the Firefox Sync configuration page in Firefox 43.0.4. I just see two slit-thin buttons, whereas I should see a full options page. If I enable the default theme and restart my browser, the full page of Sync options appear.

(Firefox 43.0.4, 32-bit version in Windows 7 x64 Pro)
whismerhill

charamel firefox bug report

Post by whismerhill »

hi,
a little bug report :

using charamel 1.6.2pre_r6770 on firefox 44.0.3
the speaker icon on tabs is not showing up like it should when a website plays music/videos with sound
(example : deezer.com)
this speaker icon additionally allows to mute/unmute a tab
see : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mu ... refox-tabs

deactivating the charamel theme, makes the icon show up on next restart.

Thanks for reading.
big_lou

Post by big_lou »

The "Remove Duplicate Messages (Alternate) 0.3.12" add-on to Thunderbird 38.6.0 (64-bit Win 7) does not display the "check marks" in the "Keep?" column, with Silvermel or Charamel themes. The check marks are correctly displayed with many other themes I tried.
kungfujoe

Post by kungfujoe »

Is Sharebird still around working on Silvermel? If not, Firefox 46 will officially kill Silvermel and Charamel, because the extension it uses to make some of its UI features work is not signed. Mozilla claimed originally that Firefox would require extensions to be signed, with no override available, by some past version of Firefox (43?). They weren't ready to pull the trigger, so they put it off to a future version... Not anymore, though, apparently. The current info page on extension signing says that starting with Firefox 46 (April 19th) will disallow unsigned extensions, and that there'll be no override.

So beginning April 19th, Silvermel and Charamel will be broken for anyone who doesn't want to use nightly/alpha builds, or who doesn't want to stick with Firefox 45 forever, missing out on all future security updates. (You can put that off for a little while if you switch over to the ESR version. Firefox ESR version 45 allows the signing requirement to be overridden, and it'll continue to receive security updates until version 52 is released sometime in early 2017).
Willard McBain

Post by Willard McBain »

Thanks for pointing this out. Hopefully, as busy as Sharebird is, he'll have time to submit the extension for signing.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Themes do not have to be signed. As far as companion extensions inside themes, I don't think there's anything for ShareBird to "do". Mozilla is supposed to automatically sign everything on AMO. It's certainly possible that combined theme/extensions aren't being signed because Mozilla is likely looking to remove them.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
kungfujoe

Post by kungfujoe »

Unfortunately, Silvermel and Charamel have been updated a bunch of times since they were last on AMO. The latest version is 1.6.2pre_r6770, and even it has some Firefox compatibility issues that should ideally be resolved (but works well enough to be used despite some missing graphics). Falling back to 1.6.1 (the version on AMO) would break a bunch of things, and AMO won't let you install it on Firefox 45 anyhow, because it's only tagged to work with older versions.

So even if the theme isn't updated, there's still something we'd need ShareBird to "do" - put the latest build on AMO.
TechnoLurker

Post by TechnoLurker »

Just noticed a problem when writing a message on Thunderbird 45 (happens under either Win7 or Win10) with 1.6.2pre_r6770.

EDIT: Also just noticed my close tab buttons are missing, but you can still click them.
franckB

Post by franckB »

Hi
same problem !
Thunderbird 45 / Win10 64b
kungfujoe

Post by kungfujoe »

The problems with Thunderbird 45 aren't limited to the message writing pane above. There's no "X" close icon on tabs, but the place where the button is supposed to be works. However, the killer is that in Lightning, the Mozilla-made calendar extension for Thunderbird, the left and right arrows to move to the next or previous month don't function. The arrows are visible, but they don't work at all.

Sadly, I'll have to go back to the default theme until/unless Silvermel is updated. I really like Silvermel's clean layout, and perhaps even more importantly, I like its compact design. I've got to scroll a lot more with the default theme because even though the fonts aren't noticeably bigger, there's a lot more space between lines in the message list, folder list, etc. :(
TechnoLurker

Post by TechnoLurker »

Currently, I'm now running the Menu On Top extension (with it's theme set to Nautipolis - naval), and the Brushed Metal - OSX theme. Doesn't look as good as Silvermel, but it works for now. Definitely not as compact.
franckB

Post by franckB »

Hi,
I rediscovered the default theme thunderbird, not bad actually. we need to know as change the colors of various windows.
nedlilly

Post by nedlilly »

I'm in the same situation - Windows 10, TB 45, all the UI issues described above. Is anyone working on an update? I'd be happy to contribute if there's an active Paypal account. Even with all the bugs, I *still* prefer the Silvermel look and feel to the clunky default TB interface. Help!!
jasjas

Post by jasjas »

Along with others, I would be happy to pay to restore the peerless Silvermel theme. Big mistake updating work PC to TB45 - the current default theme is comparatively crude and window content is much harder to read, with all that (seemingly fashionable...) w h i t e s p a c e!
nedlilly

Post by nedlilly »

Hello? Is there anyone actively maintaining Silvermel who hangs out here?