[Ext] App Tabs 0.6.2 - inspired by Firefox 4 planned feature

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
googlymoogly

Re: [Ext] App Tabs 0.6 - inspired by Firefox 4.0 planned feature

Post by googlymoogly »

Super weird. Firefox still says 0.5.1 on the main page, not even a full server refresh helps. In IE, it shows 0.6. Must be load-balancing me to a server that isn't updated yet in Firefox.
The version history link works though, thanks!

Works great together with Tabberwocky 1.1 now. All multi-row bugs fixed for me.

Re: [Ext] App Tabs 0.5 - inspired by Firefox 4.0 planned feature

Post by ******** »

ptyork wrote:
studio17 wrote:I had time to work on App Tabs a bit this morning, so here is App Tabs 0.6 and its changelog:

Not included in the changelog is "broken." At least I can't make it work for me anymore. App Tabs is installed. I get an App Tab menu item. I get no Apptabs...no matter what I click or Ctrl-Click.

Firefox 3.5.5 / Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Is the old version still available out there? I love the add-on. I'd just like it to work.

LOL I epically failed by including a variable that only worked if Tabberwocky was also installed.
Try version 0.6.2! https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/47734
vsub

Post by vsub »

googlymoogly wrote:Super weird. Firefox still says 0.5.1 on the main page, not even a full server refresh helps. In IE, it shows 0.6. Must be load-balancing me to a server that isn't updated yet in Firefox.
The version history link works though, thanks!

I can see 0.6 but not 0.6.2 in Version History when I use FF 3.5.3/5
I can see 0.6.2 when I open the page with IE/Opera.

I use only memory cache.
ptyork

Re: [Ext] App Tabs 0.5 - inspired by Firefox 4.0 planned feature

Post by ptyork »

studio17 wrote:LOL I epically failed by including a variable that only worked if Tabberwocky was also installed.
Try version 0.6.2! https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/47734

Figured it was something simple like that. 0.6.2 works great. Thanks!

Post by ******** »

vsub wrote:I can see 0.6 but not 0.6.2 in Version History when I use FF 3.5.3/5
I can see 0.6.2 when I open the page with IE/Opera.

(Even if it's not load-balancing...) Be patient. The servers will satiate your appetite for the new version soon ;)

------------

Regarding future development (includes technical stuff):
The primary component that I think most needs improvement is the saving method that App Tab uses to persist app tabs across sessions when Firefox is set not to save the user's browsing session. (Currently, it's just a clever hack that backs up and overrides the user's home page and then restores it upon the next browser startup, which is exceptionally fast since Firefox itself handles the tab initialization but also unnecessarily disruptive to the user's preferences.)
Also, I think the methods employed to ensure that the app tabs stay on the left side of the tab bar could be streamlined. Unfortunately, due to unpredictable number of TabOpen and TabMove events triggered upon a tab creation, this is exceedingly difficult to achieve without slowing down the browser with extra setTimeouts to avoid haphazard behavior and ensure synchronization.
These are my two priorities for future development in App Tabs.

Feature requests will be considered based on popularity, feasibility, relevance, and my own time.
It'd be great if someone could compile a list of all the feature requests users have made into one post, so I could make a poll or something to gauge interest. ;)
Duke D

Re: [Ext] App Tabs 0.6.2 - inspired by Firefox 4 planned feature

Post by Duke D »

What I would like to see integrated is that new tabs generating off an apptab (be it a link or urlbar) appear after ALL app tabs. At the moment, the new tab will appear right after whichever tab the link was opened from, causing it to (for a short period) be right in the middle of other apptabs.
Eice

Post by Eice »

Quick question that might or might not be irrelevant: this extension refuses to turn up in the search results on AMO. Anyone have any idea why this is the case?
Terepin

Post by Terepin »

This add-on lacks one major feature: open new tab when clicking on link that points to another domain. E.g. when I have Google as App Tab and search something, by clicking on result it should open new page on new tab. Without it it is useless.
Hope dies penultimate. What remains till the end is sarcasm. And I have plenty of it.
Shwan

Post by Shwan »

Hey guys i love your extension but i was wondering in the next version can you put in an option so the tab that is under effect isn't allowed to switch to another site? for instance if google reader was under the effects of apptab and i tried to go somewhere else on that same tab can you make it so apptab doesn't allow that please?

thanks for the great extension :)
themandril

Post by themandril »

Love App Tabs - but my tabs are not saving across sessions no matter what I do. I liked the way I could create the tabs I need for all my stuff and have them there automatically every time I open firefox with permatabs and faviconize, and I was hoping to replace them with App Tabs. I'm on a mac snow leopard - any idea what's up?
PaulTGP

Post by PaulTGP »

Hi, it looks nice but it seem not to be compatible with TabmMix Plus. If TabMix Plus is enable, App Tabs doesn't work.

Regards
maca89

Post by maca89 »

hi, first let me say that App Tabs are great :-)
The only thing I miss: would it be possible to pin these tabs on the fixed place - I mean they would stay on the left side of browser all the time. Because when I have a lot of other tabs opened, these App Tabs are kind of hidden.
I hope you undestood it :-)
Just an ordinary geek. :-) Developer of Search It Up! extension
SkywalkerPD

Post by SkywalkerPD »

Love App Tabs!

I only have problems with the icons for the tabs. All I get are blank doc icons....?
Terepin

Post by Terepin »

Mr.Henky wrote:This add-on lacks one major feature: open new tab when clicking on link that points to another domain. E.g. when I have Google as App Tab and search something, by clicking on result it should open new page on new tab. Without it it is useless.

Well, this behaviour can be managed with Tabber wocky, which is good, but still, this is one of the main features that MUSt be implemented into AppTabs. Furthermore, AppTabs is acting like normal tbas, which is not good at all. Mostly because AppTabs are something different than standard tab. It shouldn't switch to app tab when closing last tab, open app tab when browser is starting and it should'n using any of abb tabs for opening links from external applications. App tabs must be completelly isolated and independent from other standard tabs. And last, app tab sare chromless, as you can see here:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/1/1a/Fx ... pp-Tab.png
I don't know if it can be done with current versions of FX, but it would be nice.

P.S.: App Tabs are to narrow. Margin values should be 3.5px, not 5px.
Hope dies penultimate. What remains till the end is sarcasm. And I have plenty of it.

Post by ******** »

@SkywalkerPD: I have no idea why that happens. Sorry :(

@Mr. Henky: I will work on making them more independent in the future. The lack of chrome for that screenshot is an intriguing idea, and I like it, but it only makes sense if the tabs are on top, which they aren't... yet (maybe in Firefox 4.0, they will be). Your P.S. does not make sense: if they are too narrow, why should the margin widths be even smaller? Thanks for using App Tabs and for the feedback.