[Ext] App Tabs 0.6.2 - inspired by Firefox 4 planned feature

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Malboro

Re: [Ext] App Tabs 0.5 - inspired by Firefox 4.0 planned feature

Post by Malboro »

tatool wrote:Bug (probably) - not working when TabMixPlus add-on is running - look like TMP is preventing App Tabs from using the shortcuts (alt/shift/ctrl+mouse click od double click).

Thanks. I was also wondering why it didn't first work at all.

But it would be really nice, if you can make it work with TMP

Also I think that your Tab Progress Bar have same problem.
kine

Post by kine »

Tab Progress Bar is completely incompatible with Tab Mix Plus. They are competing plug-ins that implement the same feature.

studio17 wrote:Actually, I think I fixed this bug in App Tabs 0.5, I hope :P

I've just updated, so i haven't tested extensively, but it certainly appears to be fixed. Thanks!

studio17 wrote:Fixed in version 0.5. Thanks :)

I'll test this on my Mac when i get home (for some reason it doesn't happen at work...).

studio17 wrote:EDIT: I actually had to remove the compatibility code in version 0.5.1 since it broke switching in and out of private browsing mode even more :(

Could you elaborate? I'm not a programmer but i do know a fair bit about the workings of Firefox themes and CSS, and i'm absolutely willing to assist you if you need anyone to test things for the Mac.
hansondr

Post by hansondr »

The only plug-in I could imagine causing troubles is the tab progress bar but even after disabling it (and all my other plug-ins) I was still experiencing the transparent/float left bug I described previously.

kine

Post by kine »

Add the code i gave earlier in the thread to your userChrome file:

1. Navigate to ~/Application Data/Firefox/Profiles/<yourprofile>/chrome.

2. If userChrome.css does not exist, create it.

3. Paste the following into userChrome.css and save the file:

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab[apptab="true"] {
   min-width: 28px !important; /* or whatever value you'd like */
}

4. Restart Firefox.

edit: Whoops. 'apptab' now, not 'pinned'.
kine

Post by kine »

Sorry for the double post, but i've run into another somewhat major bug: App Tabs are lost when the browser exits uncleanly. This occurs both when the browser crashes and when Windows forces it to exit as the result of a log-out or shut-down.

Usually when i see problems like this in applications, the issue can be prevented by cleanly shutting down the application once (i guess this forces it to save the settings cleanly)... but in this case it didn't work. I've restarted the browser cleanly several times, and each time the App Tabs return, but the moment the browser crashes or i log off Windows, they're lost.

Not sure how to resolve this, it may be a difficult bug to deal with. :/

Also i've only been able to reproduce this with Windows, since... Firefox never crashes on my Mac.

edit:
And another bug?

App Tabs seem to automatically lock when i have Tabberwocky installed. (Tabberwocky 1.0 and App Tabs 0.5.1.) That's not intended, is it? That definitely wasn't happening until i upgraded.

edit2: In fact, App Tabs lock every single time you start Firefox, even if you've previously unlocked them.
hansondr

Post by hansondr »

kine wrote:Add the code i gave earlier in the thread to your userChrome file:

1. Navigate to ~/Application Data/Firefox/Profiles/<yourprofile>/chrome.

2. If userChrome.css does not exist, create it.

3. Paste the following into userChrome.css and save the file:

.tabbrowser-tab[apptab="true"] {
   min-width: 28px !important; /* or whatever value you'd like */
}

4. Restart Firefox.

edit: Whoops. 'apptab' now, not 'pinned'.

Perhaps I've installed Firefox in a wacky manner but I don't have the path series you mentioned in step #1. I tried to create the path as you described, created a userChrome.css document and inserted the css you provided, restarted Firefox and nothing changed. I also tried searching my system for chrome directories using Spotlight and I don't seem to have on my laptop at the moment save for the one I just created. Is it possible I'm somehow running Firefox profile-less?
googlymoogly

Post by googlymoogly »

I'm stupid. The userChrome.css tweak fixed it!
--- edit ---
Until I create a new tab or close an existing tab, at which point the pinned tabs will bloom out to 89px width anyway :(
It seems this is due to me having the multi-line tab bar feature in Tabberwocky on (something I can't live without). Pin Tab v0.3+TMP multi-line worked great, so I guess it just regressed somehow?

Heh, if I also set the tabs' style to width:x (in addition to min-width:x), that fixes it when I have more than one row of tabs, but it then breaks the tabs when they're just on one row. I can't win!

irrelevant old stuff was here
Last edited by googlymoogly on November 10th, 2009, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kine

Post by kine »

hansondr wrote:Perhaps I've installed Firefox in a wacky manner but I don't have the path series you mentioned in step #1.

Oops, i'm sorry. Wasn't paying enough attention i guess.

The path should be

~/Library/Application Data/Firefox/Profiles/<yourprofile>/chrome

(with ~ being your user folder, /Users/<yourname>/)

Post by ******** »

@googlymoogly: for multiple-row tab bar mode, try this as a temporary workaround instead of your current code (changing # to the number that you want):

.tabbrowser-tabs[multirow=true] tab[apptab=true] { width: #px !important; }
([multirow=true] means that both multiple-row tab bar mode is on and there are multiple rows of tabs)

@kine: Thank you so much for helping out other users. I'm still busy these couple weeks, so I won't have time to fix the major bugs or respond to other feedback.

List of major bugs that need to be fixed:
- compatibility with MAC OS X themes
(if you could come up with CSS and/or JavaScript fixes that apply well across many Mac OS X themes and preferably not break ones in which App Tabs already works, that would be highly appreciated, and I would gladly add you as a contributor of App Tabs 0.5 in the credits)
- compatibility with Chrome-like themes
- compatibility with the multiple-row tab bar mode in Tabberwocky
- proper restoration of App Tabs upon exiting Private Browsing mode when Firefox is set not to save browsing sessions
- proper restoration of App Tabs after a crash when Firefox is set not to save browsing sessions

(cause of this bug: When Firefox is set not to save browsing sessions, App Tabs does so by backing up the homepage setting and setting the homepage to the app tabs, and then undoing that when Firefox starts up the next time. This is a very crude way of doing things, so I'd like to rewrite the app tab saving code, which would fix both app tab restoration bugs, as soon as I have time.)
Please add to this list if you know of others.
kine

Post by kine »

I would love to help further, i can do anything you need me to as far as Mac testing. Can you explain specifically what issue you had with the CSS i provided for the Mac theme? That would help me understand what needs to be done to work around it.

Also, i hate to say it, but unfortunately it seems i've uncovered another bug (although it's a pretty small one):

Got this today when i restarted Firefox at work. Not a huge issue, but obviously app tabs are meant to stay on the left.
SubSanity

Post by SubSanity »

I'd first like to thank you for your work in both App Tabs and Tabberwocky.

As part of your extra feature for using both, all App Tabs created are automatically locked. This opens a new tab whenever I simply want to preview an entry in my Google Reader in my iGoogle page. I wanted to disable this behaviour by changing the extensions.apptabs.lock setting to false but it doesn't seem to work. I've restarted the browser to see if it'd help but to no avail. Once I disable Tabberwocky, the App Tab isn't locked anymore and I got the correct behaviour back.

My Setup:
Firefox 3.5.5
Tabberwocky 1.0
App Tabs 0.5.1

Could I have overlooked something?
vsub

Post by vsub »

SubSanity wrote:I'd first like to thank you for your work in both App Tabs and Tabberwocky.

As part of your extra feature for using both, all App Tabs created are automatically locked. This opens a new tab whenever I simply want to preview an entry in my Google Reader in my iGoogle page. I wanted to disable this behaviour by changing the extensions.apptabs.lock setting to false but it doesn't seem to work. I've restarted the browser to see if it'd help but to no avail. Once I disable Tabberwocky, the App Tab isn't locked anymore and I got the correct behaviour back.

My Setup:
Firefox 3.5.5
Tabberwocky 1.0
App Tabs 0.5.1

Could I have overlooked something?

Read the fist page about the hidden option and probably look at your settings on Tabberwocky
SubSanity

Post by SubSanity »

vsub wrote:Read the fist page about the hidden option and probably look at your settings on Tabberwocky

Yup, I saw the note about the Hidden Option and actually changed the setting to False before reporting the odd behaviour.

Strangely enough, after I re-enabled Tabberwocky, with the the setting already changed to false, the App Tabs are no longer locked. :-k

I'm not sure if this was a false alarm or something worth noting. I'd see if I can reproduce the behaviour.

Thanks for your input and Frank for both extensions. :D
vsub

Post by vsub »

I have one simple question.
What is the differences between Pin Tab 0.3 and App Tabs 0.5 except the name

And one request but I didn't get an answer(maybe studio17 didn't saw my post)
vsub wrote:Ok it works now but can I make one request.Can you add check box to display the close button if you want because otherwise I always have to edit the add-on after every update.
Eice

Post by Eice »

BEHAVIOR CHANGE REQUEST: Do not pop a new tab when user enters a new URL into the location bar of a locked tab. This would mirror Chromium's current implementation of the Pin Tab feature.