Bookmarks Menu Button 0.6b1 [2009-08-11]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
melkhatt

Post by melkhatt »

Sephirot wrote:The options dialog size looks normal to me, could you post a screenshot please?

Sephirot wrote:The MiniT prob: does it happen when use a normal left click or when does it occur?

yes with a normal "left" click.

Ps: I use the enhanced version of MiniT, made by Samir L. Boulema
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=161
Last edited by melkhatt on December 6th, 2004, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sephirot

Post by Sephirot »

ah, ok, it's caused by the theme and it's bigger font. I could make the dialog box resizeable .... a way to auto-size the dialog would be mutch better ...
Author of Bookmarks Menu Button, Autoclose Bookmark&History Folders and more

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; de; rv:1.9.2.19pre) Gecko/20110701 Firefox/3.6.19pre <-- build with MS VC++ 2010 SP1 and PGO on Win 7 x64
n9bauer

Post by n9bauer »

Sephirot wrote:The MiniT prob: does it happen when use a normal left click or when does it occur?

For me, the problem does _not_ occur with a normal left click. If I select on a bookmark entry with a normal left click, it just opens in the current tab without any problems. For me, the problem arises only when I try to open a bookmark entry in a new tab by doing a Ctrl-left click. When I do this, the entry opens in two new tabs, rather than one. The problem seems to be limited to bookmark entries: e.g., when I Ctrl-left click the 'Home' icon, the problem does not occur -- only one new tab opens.

I hope that helps.

Best,
Nathan
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

Ps: I use the enhanced version of MiniT, made by Samir L. Boulema
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/extfiref ... 1125.2.xpi

Please dont directly link to the xpi, since it will cause broken links like this one.
Link to the topic instead: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=161
melkhatt

Post by melkhatt »

sboulema wrote:
Please dont directly link to the xpi, since it will cause broken links like this one.
Link to the topic instead: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=161

Sorry, it's done
Sephirot

v0.2.3

Post by Sephirot »

Version 0.2.3 is on it's way. :)

The miniT prob is gone and there are quite a lot of other things to come (but no history button).

But I have a question, an idea I'm planing to put into practice.
When you enable the old bookmarks menu, my button will be hidden and vice versa. I think it make no sense to have both of them. What do you think about it?

What I'm gonna do anyway is, that when you install the extension for the first time, the button will be placed in the toolbar already.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; de; rv:1.9.2.19pre) Gecko/20110701 Firefox/3.6.19pre <-- build with MS VC++ 2010 SP1 and PGO on Win 7 x64
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

Your menu doesn't allow reordering of bookmarks, so I think forcing the default menu off is a bad idea (and will stop me upgrading). Having to toggle the menu if I just want to move a bookmark up a little would be irritating.
I also don't like the idea of an extension adding itself to my toolbar. I prefer to decide which buttons are there and what order they're displayed in. I have your button there anyway, it's just the principal I object to. It seems to me that a button putting itself there without my permission is simply bad manners :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Moonwolf the point is that if you installed an extension which has only a toolbar button, you want its button to appear on toolbar.
David H

Post by David H »

With the great flexibility people have to customize their gui, I think it would be unwise for the extension to make assumptions on it's own about where it goes. How is it supposed to know that I have all my toolbars turned off and put everything on the menu bar? What if I've used userchrome.css to heavily modify my toolbars? It has the possibility of really messing up a person's configuration, if it didn't just fail completely. No other extension that I know of defaults to placing it's icon on a toolbar and I don't think this one should either. I really think placement should require human intervention; it's the only way to do it safely.

I also don't think it should replace the bookmarks menu item. I like having available in my Compact Menu. I believe the general rule of thumb should be not to remove any functionality by default. If the code has features that remove other components, they should always be optional and only enabled explicitly by the user.

This is a great extension, one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to when it get's all the bugs worked out. I kind of miss the ability to drag or edit bookmarks from the menu, but I'm patient. Keep up the good work!
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

Pretty much what I was thinking but was far too tired (ok, and lazy) to type ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
Ria

Post by Ria »

I like this extension very much (although its a pity that there is not yet a history button coming :) ), but did you know that it is not possible to drag bookmarks inside the bookmarks-button-menu? Or am I the only one with this problem?
Ria

Re: v0.2.3

Post by Ria »

Sephirot wrote:Version 0.2.3 is on it's way. :)

I think it make no sense to have both of them. What do you think about it?

I'm always keeping the bookmarksmenu visible just because of that problem with dragging bookmarks.
BTW; in trunk this function is also broken in the bookmarksmenu: Bug 276017
Sephirot

Post by Sephirot »

asqueella wrote:Moonwolf the point is that if you installed an extension which has only a toolbar button, you want its button to appear on toolbar.

That's what I thought.
For me it makes no sense to have both menues. Why would you install an extension, which was made to replace a menu (and another button) but stil use the old ones?

Adding the button to the nav-bar after installing and using it for the first time, would be a nice feature I thought. :|

Ria wrote:I like this extension very much (although its a pity that there is not yet a history button coming :) ), but did you know that it is not possible to drag bookmarks inside the bookmarks-button-menu? Or am I the only one with this problem?

I didn't noticed that :shock:
But I already fixed that lack of usability. :)

Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

The thing is, none of my buttons are on a toolbar. They're all on the menu bar with the navigation toolbar turned off and Compact Menu hiding the menus.
How are you deciding where to put your button?
That's the point David H was making and I agree entirely.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

That's the point David H was making and I agree entirely.

I admit I didn't think about that first, and it's a good point. I wanted to say that smarter "add button" agorithm would help, but I'm not sure anymore.

Still a hint that the extension added new toolbar buttons, like "You have new toolbar buttons, click here to customize" would be nice and save people unfamiliar with customizable toolbars system some time.