[Ext ] Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Alice0775

[Ext ] Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus

Post by Alice0775 »

Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox

A tree of the bookmarks is displayed under search results of the sidebar bookmarks.
A location of the bookmark concerned is shown on the tree when you choose a bookmark of the search results.
prazim

Re: [Ext ] Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus

Post by prazim »

Alice,
I need to be able to organize the results once sidebar bookmarks search plus has presented them. In this case, I'd like to move them all to the same folder. Is it possible to update this add on to enable that?
Thanks,
prazim
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

prazim wrote:Alice,
I need to be able to organize the results once sidebar bookmarks search plus has presented them. In this case, I'd like to move them all to the same folder. Is it possible to update this add on to enable that?
Thanks,
prazim

Yes. the ability exist already.
You can select multiple bookmarks by Shift+Click at the most left side of the each bookmark item. And Drag&Drop(or cut & paste) selected items on to folder.

However, You can use Organize Bookmarks (Ctrl+Shift+B) more easily.
Thanks.
prazim

Post by prazim »

Thank you!
hamandeggs

Post by hamandeggs »

Hi Alice,

this extension was so nearly what I want!
What I *really* want is the search results' folder hierarchy to be shown as part of the search results. This would add a lot of context for the search results that just isn't available at the moment.
And if the search results could also include the folder names themselves, well, who could ask for more?!
I mention this because you obviously know your way around the sidebar and search functionality and maybe this is something you would consider tackling?

my fingers are crossed,
graham
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

hamandeggs wrote:Hi Alice,

this extension was so nearly what I want!
What I *really* want is the search results' folder hierarchy to be shown as part of the search results. This would add a lot of context for the search results that just isn't available at the moment.
And if the search results could also include the folder names themselves, well, who could ask for more?!
I mention this because you obviously know your way around the sidebar and search functionality and maybe this is something you would consider tackling?

my fingers are crossed,
graham

Sorry, I have no plan.
_Mirko_

Post by _Mirko_ »

Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus 1.8 - Maybe a fix proposal for Firefox 4.0.1 - Sorry for the long post... [-X

Dear Alice0775,

first of all, I should thank you for making such a useful and easy to use add-on, which is now part of my collection! =D>

Unfortunately, switching to Firefox 4.0.1 I found that your add-on isn't working as supposed in my system (Linux Mint 11 “Katya”, I have the same bugs under Wine)...

I'll be short, after a little debug I found that the JavaScript module bookmarksPanelOverlay3.7.js loaded by Firefox 4.0.1 doesn't access correctly to the preferences branch, and I just fixed it with the solution exposed at the bottom (they are notes I took).

NOTE: only to the users who have my same bugs, and want to try out my solution, and don't know how to repackage an add-on, I suggest to follow the tedious and annoying steps just below.

Tedious and annoying steps to repackage an add-on:

Code: Select all

1.  go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sidebar-bookmarks-search-plus/

2.  download the add-on (right click on the button "Add to Firefox", then choose "Save Link As...")

3.  change the extension of the downloaded add-on file from .xpi to .zip

4.  open the add-on .zip file with an archive manager

5.  go in the folder chrome

6.  extract the file sidebarbookmarkssearch.jar

7.  rename the file sidebarbookmarkssearch.jar to sidebarbookmarkssearch.zip (just the extension is changed)

8.  open sidebarbookmarkssearch.zip with an archive manager

9.  go in the folder content

10. extract the file bookmarksPanelOverlay3.7.js (and bookmarksPanelOverlay.js if you want the optional fix)

11. open the file bookmarksPanelOverlay3.7.js with a text editor, apply the fix exposed in the notes at the bottom, then save the file
    (do the same with the file bookmarksPanelOverlay.js if you want the optional fix)

12. open sidebarbookmarkssearch.zip with an archive manager
    go in the folder content
    import the edited file bookmarksPanelOverlay3.7.js in the folder content (maybe you can use a drag-and-drop)
    (do the same with the file bookmarksPanelOverlay.js if you have edited it)

13. rename the file sidebarbookmarkssearch.zip back to sidebarbookmarkssearch.jar (just the extension is changed)

14. open the add-on .zip file with an archive manager
    go in the folder chrome
    import the edited file sidebarbookmarkssearch.jar in the folder chrome (maybe you can use a drag-and-drop)

15. change the extension of the add-on file from .zip back to .xpi

16. open the repackaged add-on file (now with the right extension .xpi) with Firefox, and install it, then restart Firefox

17. now you are done (I too by writing these steps down...)

Proposed fix:

Bug:  - In Firefox 4.0.1 the JavaScript module "bookmarksPanelOverlay3.7.js"
        can't access to the preferences branch (that js module is used in
        versions from 3.7a5pre till now, if you use a version below 3.7a3
        the js module used is "bookmarksPanelOverlay.js" which seems to
        work perfectly, but an optional fix is presented below anyway)

Brokes: - Some functionalities added by this extension to the
                  Bookmarks Sidebar

Symptoms: - After you search a bookmark writing in the search
                              field, the toggleable button that should appear on
                              the right of the search field just doesn't appear

- The bookmarks tree under the search results doesn't
                              synchronize with the bookmark selected in the search
                              results

Fix:    - chrome\sidebarbookmarkssearch.jar!\content\bookmarksPanelOverlay3.7.js

**********************************************************************

From: [Line 02] heightPref: "extensions.sidebarbookmarkssearch.height",

To  :           prefBranch: "extensions.sidebarbookmarkssearch.",
                                  heightPref: "height",

From: [Line 37] return this.xpPref = Components.classes['@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1']
                                                       .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefService);

To  :           return this.xpPref = Components.classes['@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1']
                                                       .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefService)
                                                       .getBranch(this.prefBranch);

OPTIONAL FIXES

Fix:    - chrome\sidebarbookmarkssearch.jar!\content\bookmarksPanelOverlay.js

From: [Line 02] heightPref: "extensions.sidebarbookmarkssearch.height",

To  :           prefBranch: "extensions.sidebarbookmarkssearch.",
                                  heightPref: "height",

From: [Line 57] this.xpPref = Components.classes['@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1']
                                                  .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefService);

To  :           this.xpPref = Components.classes['@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1']
                                                  .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefService)
                                                  .getBranch(this.prefBranch);

Sincerely,
Mirko.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

_Mirko_ wrote:Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus 1.8 - Maybe a fix proposal for Firefox 4.0.1 - Sorry for the long post... [-X

Dear Alice0775,

first of all, I should thank you for making such a useful and easy to use add-on, which is now part of my collection! =D>

Unfortunately, switching to Firefox 4.0.1 I found that your add-on isn't working as supposed in my system (Linux Mint 11 “Katya”, I have the same bugs under Wine)...

*SNIP*

Sincerely,
Mirko.

Thanks for your bug report.
I will take your suggestion into account in next version 1.9.
ssanborn

Post by ssanborn »

Thank you for making a great add-on.

Any chance of including the folder names (when there is a match with the name or description fields of the folder) in the search results? (hamandeggs requested it as well)

A long time ago there was an add-on that included the folder names in the search results. Unfortunately, it was never updated. As far as I know there isn't an add-on that does this for the current version of Firefox.

Thank you.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

ssanborn wrote:Thank you for making a great add-on.

Any chance of including the folder names (when there is a match with the name or description fields of the folder) in the search results? (hamandeggs requested it as well)

A long time ago there was an add-on that included the folder names in the search results. Unfortunately, it was never updated. As far as I know there isn't an add-on that does this for the current version of Firefox.

Thank you.

Sorry, I have no plan.
XMan77

Post by XMan77 »

There is an incompitibility between "Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus" and the "All-in-One Sidebar" extensions. The 'Toggle in Selection' button of Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus is shown below the bookmarks instead of right to the search box.
NetSurferMA

Post by NetSurferMA »

I noticed the last posting is quite old. Is this forum still monitored? I like the add on, but the highlight is difficult to see. I have played with contrast & brightness settings but the view-ability of the rest of the monitor suffers. I even played with various firefox "scenes". Is there a way to change the highlighting color?
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

treechildren::-moz-tree-row(selected) {
  background-color: red !important;
}
treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected) {
  color: white !important;
}

treechildren::-moz-tree-row(selected, focus) {
  background-color: blue !important;
}
treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected, focus) {
  color: yellow !important;
}
NetSurferMA

Post by NetSurferMA »

I see how this code might control the highlight colors, but not sure what to do with it.
nonobio

Post by nonobio »

Hi,

Thanks for this addon.

Could you add support for the addon "Add bookmark here" ?

https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/add-bookmark-here-2/

Thanks