[Ext ] Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
avada

Re: [Ext ] Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus

Post by avada »

bugblatter wrote:This is almost impossible to debug by someone else here who hasn't seen the exact same problem. My 2 cents (general debug strategy): Start from a newly created profile (just for testing). Then install just this extension and create some dummy bookmarks to test it on. If that doesn't work, you might as well quit. If it works, you can start debugging from there, like copying over different configuration files from your profile one-by-one, starting with your bookmarks file (places.sqlite), and see which one breaks it, then isolate the problem further. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips. I tried many things though. It not only works in other (used) profiles it worked in this one until I temporarily disabled it for testing something else.
But it won't work even if I disable every other addon. Even if I remove prefs.js from the profile which effectively removes/resets all settings. I even tried using places maintenance, and removing old history items to make it smaller. Can't imagine what could make this break this way.

Edit:
Though your comment reminded me of something so I tried removing xulstore.json. And now it works. I wouldn't expect something like this to effect a feature like this, but it apparently does.
Sadly though, this means that all the numerous customizations and buttons are reset... :(
bugblatter

Post by bugblatter »

Well, that's good (I think). I remember in the old firefox (ff02/ff03/etc) days this file got corrupted a lot, so I tried not get too attached to my custs (I think this file was localstore.rdf back then). Still, I remember taking screenshots of the different firefox windows so I could restore them more easily instead of from memory. I now have a windows shutdown script that makes a rolling 7-day backup of these kinds of files, so I can often recover a working version when something like this breaks. Good luck.
avada

Post by avada »

Hey! I found an online json editor, and I only needed to delete the "chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/bookmarksPanel.xul" section, to get the extension working again.
bugblatter wrote:Well, that's good (I think). I remember in the old firefox (ff02/ff03/etc) days this file got corrupted a lot, so I tried not get too attached to my custs (I think this file was localstore.rdf back then). Still, I remember taking screenshots of the different firefox windows so I could restore them more easily instead of from memory. I now have a windows shutdown script that makes a rolling 7-day backup of these kinds of files, so I can often recover a working version when something like this breaks. Good luck.
True it was localstore.rdf, though the feature of it getting corrupted was successfully retained it seems...
I also have a backup, but I have other stuff broken. (a button that disappeared...) Too bad I didn't think about rolling back when I realized that issue. I made numerous changes since then.