[Ext] Tab Utilities 1.5 - light but featureful

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
K4RBQT99

Re: [Ext] Tab Utilities 1.1 - light but featureful

Post by K4RBQT99 »

Noooooo wrote:Critical bug 2
Launch a browser, you'll have a single blank tab. Now try to open a new tab with plus button on tab bar - new tab will not be created

For to by-pass this problem:
  • Disable the new tab page: set the firefox preference browser.newtab.url to about:blank
  • Equivalent to the previous (well, maybe): change the TU option "Load in new tab:" to a manually defined "about:blank"
  • Disable the reusing tabs TU options :? (all the checkbox below "Reuse blank tab:")

kosik wrote:Not work Open new tab for: Address bar with Firefox 13. Other choice are O.K.

I can't see this with TU 1.2pre18. Are you using 1.1.4 version of TU? Are you tried this with your others extensions disabled?

--- EDIT
How to fix the Bookmark All Tabs action from the tab context menu

Copy the next lines to a text file and import it from the Settings button of the TU options window. Restart Firefox.

Code: Select all

pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_bookmarkAllTabs.command", "");
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_bookmarkAllTabs.oncommand", "var pages = PlacesCommandHook.uniqueCurrentPages; if (pages.length > 1) {     PlacesUIUtils.showBookmarkDialog({ action: "add", type: "folder", URIList: pages, hiddenRows: [ "description" ] }, window); }");

It isn't necessary anymore. I through that I had disabled the bookmarkAllWithHistory preference while I did the tests :-" .
Anyway:

Set the advanced TU preference extensions.tabutils.bookmarkAllWithHistory to false via about:config for to recover the Bookmark All Tabs action
steve4592

Post by steve4592 »

Thanks K4RBQT99, setting extensions.tabutils.bookmarkAllWithHistory to false fixed Bookmark All Tabs. I was going to edit my workaround post to mention that I found an add-on called "Extension Options Menu" which let me easily disable and enable add-ons from a toolbar button drop-down menu. It's the only one I could find with that functionality. I'll keep it just in case something like this comes up again. Again many thanks.
wootie

Post by wootie »

steve4592 wrote:Ok, just came up with a workaround for the Bookmark All Tabs bug in FF13 with TU

Just disable TU in Add-ons Manager, Ctrl+Shift+D to Bookmark All Tabs, then enable TU

On my system it remembered tabs on restart (don't know if that's a setting I have enabled somewhere) which makes this workaround possible

Now if I could only have a button or keyboard shortcut to disable/enable TU...

Wow, this is the most additive workaround I've ever seen, thank you for your contribution you contributing user. meh!
steve4592

Post by steve4592 »

Found another bug. Added Move to Window in Tab Context Menu, duplicated a tab, then invoked Move to Window on that newly created duplicate tab. Tab dimensions (height) did not carry over to new FF window instance.
steve4592

Post by steve4592 »

wootie wrote:
steve4592 wrote:Ok, just came up with a workaround for the Bookmark All Tabs bug in FF13 with TU

Just disable TU in Add-ons Manager, Ctrl+Shift+D to Bookmark All Tabs, then enable TU

On my system it remembered tabs on restart (don't know if that's a setting I have enabled somewhere) which makes this workaround possible

Now if I could only have a button or keyboard shortcut to disable/enable TU...

Wow, this is the most additive workaround I've ever seen, thank you for your contribution you contributing user. meh!

wootie, I take it that you are being a bit of a smarty pants. I see from your posts on pg 141 that you are too pushy and have unreasonable expectations from the developer of TU. If you want you can just quit using TU and just leave here. Really, it's that simple. I would think that someone that has the cognitive ability to code in C# could do that. You're just torturing yourself by staying here and complaining, it ain't gonna change anything. And the bit about being a contributing user, if you had any appreciation for how hard it is to code for peanuts, you'd understand the value of someone's time. But I'm guessing you have it made. Enjoy and be grateful (like that's gonna happen!)
darkdemon42

Post by darkdemon42 »

After installing this plugin, my new tab behaviour was not what I wanted, so I simply uninstalled it, however this new tab behaviour persists, and I cannot figure out how to revert it.

When I click a link that is designed to open in a new tab (or window which is forced as a tab) it should give that new tab focus, now, no matter what I do, it always opens it in the background. Does this plugin change any configs that it doesn't remove upon uninstall?
steve4592

Post by steve4592 »

darkdemon42,

I can't answer your question, but I can throw some things out there that may change your mind about not using Tab Utilities (TU). :D

I am currently using Tab Utilities without a problem. The 1st thing that comes to mind (forgive me if you already did this) is to turn off all other Add-ons to see if there is a conflict. I use an Add-on called "Extension Options Menu 2.3" to easily toggle my extensions/add-ons on and off quickly for the purposes of debugging.

The 2nd thing that comes to mind is under Tools, Options, on the "Tabs" tab, do you have a check in the box next to "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately"? I don't know if TU controls that setting, but mine is checked. The 3rd thing that comes to mind is in the Tab Utilities Options, under the Mouse section, the way I have mine set up for the right click (R-click tab) is "Right-click functions as Middle-click" on links. I believe the normal default behavior for Firefox is that middle click on a link opens it in a new tab.

I don't know what you mean when you say "link that is designed to open in a new tab", that does not make sense to me. Forgive me for being ignorant if I don't know what I'm talking about. I did not know that links could be designed to open in a new tab :shock:

You mention something about windows (or window which is forced as a tab). If your usage includes new or multiple windows, I don't have mine set up (at least I think!) for that. I don't want new or multiple windows with Firefox. Under Firefox options, I have it set to "Open new windows in a new tab instead". Under TU options, under Links, I have it set to "open links from external applications in new tab" and "open new window links in new tab", and I do have single window mode enabled. The "force all links to open in new tab" and "force all external links to open in new tab" are disabled. Those are my settings regarding windows.

Hopefully this helps, maybe someone else on here can provide some more information.
dvnito

Post by dvnito »

@ darkdemon42 - 'browser.tabs.loadInBackground' will probably be the setting you need to change in about:config

@ steve4592 - It looks like the developer has abandoned this addon. A bug landed in early May that broke TU and the developer said he would "release a new version soon". He's been silent ever since. So the next release of Firefox will receive that bug fix and TU will break the browser. You might as well jump ship before that happens. http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15740 works and is updated regularly.
steve4592

Post by steve4592 »

dvnito - What bug is that :?: I'm too lazy to do any more digging thru the posts earlier than the previous couple pgs. My TU is working OK right now. :)
dvnito

Post by dvnito »

Steve, the bug is posted in this thread - just go back a few pages to early May.

It's a shame TU seems to be abandoned - it's better than TMP. :(
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

The bug is this, and it will land with Firefox 15, not 14 (the next release):

HummerOfGod wrote:
After todays Nightly update option to force open all new links, bookmarks etc in new tab stop work properly, simply, if I like to open new tab from bookmark nothing happen, problem related to TU, once extension is disabled then I can open links and bookmarks normal :)

same problem after Bug 750980 - Implement gBrowser.visibleTabs cache
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

Awesome news :) can't wait for the update
Shield

Post by Shield »

Hi,

I like to use the built-in feature "Don't load tabs until selected", however, these unloaded tabs will become greyed out (but still selectable). I disabled all tab highlighting in Tab Utitlities > Appearance > Tabs, but no change. :(

However, disabling the whole add-on does the trick. I've installed v1.2pre18/ FF v14.0.1, but this issue exists since several updates.

There's some other strange aspect regarding this matter: Highlighting unread tabs using Tab Utitlities won't affect all of these greyed out tabs, only about 50% of them, just as if Tab Utilities defines an unread tab different from Firefox (not that I really care, since I want read/unread tabs to look the same way).

Any help would be very welcome!
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

The greyed style for unloaded tabs is purposely. A time ago it was customizable from the preferences window (maybe only in a developmente version, I don't remember), but finally was removed (read here the last ithinc's comment).

You can to reset the style with some css rules in your userChrome.css file. I could search them later.
EDIT: Try with
viewtopic.php?p=11714723#p11714723