[Ext] Tab Utilities 1.5 - light but featureful

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ben_r_

Re: [Ext] Tab Utilities 0.9.9.9 - light but featureful

Post by ben_r_ »

K4RBQT99 wrote:Don't possible, i think. A new row is displayed only automatically when the actual row is full.

Well I thought that might be the case too, so I tried opening a whole bunch (around 20) and still couldnt get a second row. The tab widths were too small at that point anyway, requiring any more to create the second row would be silly. All I wanted with this extension was really just the multi-row feature. Im checking out Tab Mix Plus right now and a couple others, so we'll see how that goes.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

ben_r_ wrote:Well I thought that might be the case too, so I tried opening a whole bunch (around 20) and still couldnt get a second row. The tab widths were too small at that point anyway, requiring any more to create the second row would be silly. All I wanted with this extension was really just the multi-row feature. Im checking out Tab Mix Plus right now and a couple others, so we'll see how that goes.

You need to adjust the "Appearance > Tab Bar > Tab Width" option.
marekjs

Post by marekjs »

Hello,
I've got the popup "no XBL binding for browser" (the latest version, and pre as well).
Fx4b7 portable...
Any clue?
Cheers

the Update: WinXP Sp3 this time...
Regards

marekjs
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

marekjs wrote:Hello,
I've got the popup "no XBL binding for browser" (the latest version, and pre as well).
Fx4b7 portable...
Any clue?
Cheers

It's probably a conflict between extensions. Please figure it out.
=====================================================
Edit: Probably it's Xmarks. Upgrade it to its latest version. See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1702465&start=605.
Last edited by ithinc on December 7th, 2010, 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
ben_r_

Post by ben_r_ »

ithinc wrote:You need to adjust the "Appearance > Tab Bar > Tab Width" option.

To what value? I have it up to 200 to 250 now.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

K4RBQT99 wrote:About the Ctrl+Arrows optional shorcuts for to navigate tabs, I noted a little conflict with some websites that capture the key arrows for to navigate in their content, for example, images gallery (example). Using the shorcut throws the key's pulsation to the web, too (reloading the page, commonly). Is it a issue of the site? TU can to do something about it?

It's an issue of the site, as I can say. It ignores the Ctrl key.
As there are quite a few potential conflicts with some web sites or Firefox itself, maybe I will just remove the Ctrl+Arrows feature. Firefox provides Ctrl+Page Up/Down shortcuts for the same purpose, which I didn't realize when I added Ctrl+Arrows. But Ctrl+Arrows is definitely more convenient than Ctrl+Page Up/Down, so I'm not sure what I should do.

K4RBQT99 wrote:Anyway, with the list of new shorcuts, i see the old Ctrl+Arrows a bit out of place (enabling it by the UI). It could use tabutils.shorcut.* instead. And, maybe, use other shorcut (Ctrl+Shift+Arrow) for match the form of the others.

As it is Ctrl+Tab related, so it is placed there. Ctrl+Shift+Arrows won't reduce the conflicts.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

ben_r_ wrote:To what value? I have it up to 200 to 250 now.

Then if you have tabs narrower than 200px, you have other extensions/scripts/styles working. It should be an extension conflict.
bolobb

Post by bolobb »

ithinc wrote:Version 1.0pre5 is released.

3/ Added Ctrl+Shift+Z shortcut key for Recently Closed Tabs

Thanks but could you make it that using the shortcut a second time it "unviews" the list?
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

braveheartleo wrote:I'm sorry about that, it was a bit vague. I was referring to the paste and go command provided via the shortcut keys. If the shortcut key command, as well as the tab context menu command, could be controlled by the tab opening options then it would be great (paste and go can be set to open a new tab, window, or the current tab, and how it opens when invoked via the shortcut keys or the tab context menu).

"Paste and Go" shortcut = Open from Location Bar
"Paste and Search" shortcut = Open from Search Bar
So you may control their behaviors by changing the new tab options for Location Bar and Search Bar.

For the tab context menu item, it is scriptable. You can open anywhere if you like.
Open in new tab always:

Code: Select all

gBrowser.loadURLFromClipboard();

Open in the current tab:

gBrowser.loadURLFromClipboard(gBrowser.mCurrentTab);

Open in the context tab or new tab if tab bar clicked:

gBrowser.loadURLFromClipboard(document.popupNode.localName == "tab" ? gBrowser.mContextTab : null);
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

braveheartleo wrote:Also, I've been noticing some inconsistencies with command states (whether a command is checked on unchecked in the context menu for example), perhaps as a result of the ever-growing features being supported by TU. One is this:
Auto functions such as auto-lock and auto-protect pinned tabs do not reflect the checked state in the tab context menu for the corresponding commands, depending upon which auto function is enabled:
* if auto-lock is enabled, then the Lock tab context menu (when selected in Appearance -> Menu -> Tab Context Menu) should have a check beside the Lock command item;
* or if auto-protect is enabled, then the Protect tab context menu should have a check beside the Protect command item;
* or both if the two auto functions are enabled.

Of course enabling or disabling any one of those command items in the tab context menu should not affect the enabled states of the corresponding auto function -- only that the command items should follow command states (is lock enabled? is protect enabled?). So for example if there is an auto-locked pinned tab, then by deactivating Lock from the tab context menu (Lock command item will be unchecked) it does not disable the auto-lock for future pinned tabs.

In fact, what you're describing is an intentional design. Auto-locked pinned tabs are not marked as locked, but behave like locked tabs. There are two points here:
1/ whether an auto-locked pinned tab should be styled as a locked tab,
2/ whether an auto-locked pinned tab could be unlocked.
If you treat "auto-locked" as a feature of pinned tabs, just like "auto-faviconized", these won't be a problem. Post your further requests to http://tabutils.uservoice.com for better tracking.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

braveheartleo wrote:Another thing about the Locked tab appearance options: If the default appearance for Locked tabs, when the style options for it is disabled, is placing a red outline around the tab, then perhaps this should be reflected in the options too. Because that part of the appearance options is being some kind of a WYSIWYG editor, then showing the default shouldn't be bad.

This may be considered, but how do you think of the default style for protected tabs? Should I remove protected tabs from the styling section?
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Version 1.0pre6 is released.

Main changes:
1/ Improved recently closed tabs list to support "stay menu open"
2/ Removed "use small icons" option
3/ Added/modified some shortcut keys:
Ctrl+X: Close Tab
Ctrl+Shift+V: Paste and Search
Ctrl+Shift+Z: Open/Close Recently Closed Tabs
marekjs

Post by marekjs »

ithinc wrote:
marekjs wrote:Hello,
Fx4b7 portable...
Any clue?
Cheers

It's probably a conflict between extensions. Please figure it out.
=====================================================
Edit: Probably it's Xmarks. Upgrade it to its latest version. See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1702465&start=605.

Hi,
I'm sorry, but it's not Xmarks :) and honestly, still I don't know, which extensions have been messing around.
Firstly, the backup of all profile to another place.
Then, the flushed of all list, then the Tab Utilities pre as the first one, no probs at all. After that, one by one (reboots of FX after every one), I'v been installing all extensions.
Now, I've got exactly the same list, but nothing crashes. That's weird, but that works at least.
I guess, the installation order is important to fix that problem (in my case).
Anyway, thanks for the good suggestion :)
Regards

marekjs
braveheartleo

Post by braveheartleo »

ithinc wrote:
braveheartleo wrote:Another thing about the Locked tab appearance options: If the default appearance for Locked tabs, when the style options for it is disabled, is placing a red outline around the tab, then perhaps this should be reflected in the options too. Because that part of the appearance options is being some kind of a WYSIWYG editor, then showing the default shouldn't be bad.

This may be considered, but how do you think of the default style for protected tabs? Should I remove protected tabs from the styling section?

Since we might be looking at revamping the presentation of this section in the appearance options, let me offer my full treatment of the details:

I think I would drop all current implementation and go for a minimalistic and consistent approach throughout the different tab modes (Pinned, Faviconized, or Normal tab) when dealing with Lock and Protect tab functions. If it is possible, I would place small dot icons at the top right corner of the tab, positioning it on the tab's top edge border and flushed right to the corner. Each dot would depict a color, like blue for Protected or red for Locked. I'm not much of a designer so it may be up to you, but I would go for whole-colored dot icons.

Dot icons order would be Protected icon first if enabled, else it is not displayed, then followed by the icon for Locked, also not displayed if disabled. So if both Protected and Locked are inactive, then no icons are displayed. Conversely, both icons are displayed in order when both functions are active. Also, you might want to disable or hide the close button for Normal tabs when Locked is active, apart from disabling the close tab menu item and shortcut keys.

In this way, the implementation for Protected and Locked status icons is uniform across all tab modes, unlike the current implementation in which pinned tabs, faviconized tabs, and normal tabs have varying and disconnected behaviors for displaying status of the aforementioned.

The Locked and Protected appearance options would now be replaced with checkboxes to enable or disable displaying icons for the two. You might also want to enable customizing colors for the two icons, for those who would like to mix and match the icon colors with their browser themes. Then what remain are tab styling options for Current, Read, and Unread tabs. In my opinion, I would remove the outline styling option for all styles, as it doesn't look good on the tab bar.

It's up to you how you will arrange the option presentation, but I would suggest, for a minimal approach, to offer the two checkboxes inside the appearance options, and a button that will display a dialog box for configuring tab styles, all grouped accordingly.

Please let me know your opinion on my suggestions.

P.S.
I noticed that the "use small icon" checkbox has been removed. Good riddance. :-)
Last edited by braveheartleo on December 7th, 2010, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
braveheartleo

Post by braveheartleo »

ithinc wrote:In fact, what you're describing is an intentional design. Auto-locked pinned tabs are not marked as locked, but behave like locked tabs. There are two points here:
1/ whether an auto-locked pinned tab should be styled as a locked tab,
2/ whether an auto-locked pinned tab could be unlocked.
If you treat "auto-locked" as a feature of pinned tabs, just like "auto-faviconized", these won't be a problem. Post your further requests to http://tabutils.uservoice.com for better tracking.

Going by my suggestion if you think it wise to implement, then we should treat the auto functions of pinned tabs with consistency with respect to manually protecting or locking the other tab modes. Then it also follows that the auto functions would now show proper active or inactive status for Lock or Protect tab menu items, and allow for deactivating any of the auto-functions for the current pinned tab, but leave it enabled for future pinned tabs.

Please pardon my insistence, but I'm just promoting the KISS (Keep it simple and straightforward) principle as I'm a bit of a logic thinker, and I like being uniform with things. I believe this also lessens the complexity of the program and minimizes possible competing options. :-)
Last edited by braveheartleo on December 7th, 2010, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.