[Ext] Tab Utilities 1.5 - light but featureful

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ithinc

Re: [Ext] Tab Utilities 0.9.9.9 - light but featureful

Post by ithinc »

Version 1.0pre12 is released.

Main changes:
1/ Improved customizable context menuitems, "multiselected" attribute now has three values ("false", "true" or "any")

AlexVallat wrote:It still doesn't work right for session history, though. If I right click the back or forward button, then middle click on one of the entries in the history, it always appears foreground, never background - I can't find any way of stopping this, even on a completely clean profile.

AlexVallat wrote:Also, while I was setting up the mouse actions, I noticed a bug that the L-Click settings for On current tab and On tab bar can't be changed through the UI. Changing them doesn't enable the Apply button, doesn't stick when you change to other tabs in the settings UI, and doesn't apply when you click OK. The settings can be changed through about:config, though.

Both fixed in version 1.0pre12.
Post feature requests to http://tabutils.uservoice.com.
Post bug reports to https://github.com/ithinc/tabutils/issues.
K4RBQT99

Re: [Ext] Tab Utilities 0.9.9.8 - light but featureful

Post by K4RBQT99 »

Really great. Thanks.

ithinc wrote:
NickJH wrote:I like Tab Utilities, but the only thing I miss is being able to middle click on the close tab button on the tab bar and have it undo closed tabs.

Configure "extensions.tabutils.scripts.tabs-closebutton.onclick" with your own script in version 0.9.9.9pre16.

Code: Select all

if (event.button == 1) undoCloseTab();

Testing with it, the example doesn't work for me (Using the new name ...button.closetab-button.onclick). I'm missing something?

Also, if I add 'Close duplicate tabs' as a menuitem for tabs in the preferences, the element doesn't get to be displayed. Using 1.0pre12, clear profile, Fx. 3.6.13
FilterJoe

Post by FilterJoe »

ithinc wrote:
FilterJoe wrote:"Pinned Tab behavior is similar to the Phantom Tab behavior in the Chrome 5 browser"

Although this feature is convenient, it may be disappearing in Firefox 4, as Firefox 4 has removed the convenience to create a 2nd bookmarks bar. I'm not sure whether I could figure out some way to bring it back before the final Firefox 4 release.

Not sure I understood you - are you saying that something about Firefox 4 makes implementing pinned, unloaded tabs difficult? Or is it unnecessary? What specifically about Firefox 4 are you referring to?

I haven't yet tested Firefox 4 though I have read that they are implementing some form of pinned tabs, which they call app tabs. Nothing I have read suggests that app tabs will be like phantom tabs when a user closes them (what you call pinned, unloaded tabs).

I do understand that it's hard to know which features are the most important to people using tab utilities, given how much functionality it has. But there really are quite a few people frustrated that phantom tabs were removed from Chrome. I'm one of them, and it's what motivated me to search for a Firefox extension that had this feature.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

K4RBQT99 wrote:Testing with it, the example doesn't work for me (Using the new name ...button.closetab-button.onclick). I'm missing something?

Hmm, use ...button.tabs-closebutton.onclick instead.

K4RBQT99 wrote:Also, if I add 'Close duplicate tabs' as a menuitem for tabs in the preferences, the element doesn't get to be displayed. Using 1.0pre12, clear profile, Fx. 3.6.13

Hasn't TU provided 'Close duplicate tabs' already? Anyway, let me know how you add 'Close duplicate tabs' as a menuitem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: There seems a bug in 1.0pre12. I have re-uploaded the xpi file. Please re-install it.
Morgan B

Post by Morgan B »

Could somebody please help me understanding the statusbar buttons provided by TU? I've never had any use of them, so could somebody explain how they are meant to be used and give a use case? I'm also interested in how the "Force all new tabs to open in Background/Foreground" buttons work with the "All" and "None" checkboxes in the "Focus new tabs from:" section.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

Can you add Reload Left/Right Tabs to the context menu as a default ?

I know there's customizable context menus, but as you already have a Reload Tab and Reload All Tabs (plus TMP has it), Reload Left/Right Tabs would be a good default addition.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Defenestration wrote:Can you add Reload Left/Right Tabs to the context menu as a default ?

I know there's customizable context menus, but as you already have a Reload Tab and Reload All Tabs (plus TMP has it), Reload Left/Right Tabs would be a good default addition.

They're not quite useful. Reload Tab and Reload All Tabs are Firefox's default items. Import the following settings with version 1.0pre12.

pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_reloadLeftTabs", true);
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_reloadLeftTabs.label", "Reload Left Tabs");
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_reloadLeftTabs.accesskey", "L");
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_reloadLeftTabs.oncommand", "gBrowser.leftTabsOf(gBrowser.mContextTab).forEach(gBrowser.reloadTab, gBrowser);");

pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_reloadRightTabs", true);
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_reloadRightTabs.label", "Reload Right Tabs");
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_reloadRightTabs.accesskey", "R");
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_reloadRightTabs.oncommand", "gBrowser.rightTabsOf(gBrowser.mContextTab).forEach(gBrowser.reloadTab, gBrowser);");
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Morgan B wrote:Could somebody please help me understanding the statusbar buttons provided by TU? I've never had any use of them, so could somebody explain how they are meant to be used and give a use case? I'm also interested in how the "Force all new tabs to open in Background/Foreground" buttons work with the "All" and "None" checkboxes in the "Focus new tabs from:" section.

They are designed to change the preferences temporarily. Suppose you want to open a number of threads in new tabs in mozillaZine Forum, but you don't want to use middle- or ctrl-click, you may just enable "Force all links to open in New Tab" and "Force all new tabs to open in Background", and then LEFT-click your interested threads.

For your 2nd question, just try it.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

FilterJoe wrote:Not sure I understood you - are you saying that something about Firefox 4 makes implementing pinned, unloaded tabs difficult? Or is it unnecessary? What specifically about Firefox 4 are you referring to?

I'm referring to all Firefox 4 builds. The phantom tabs is in fact a bookmarks bar in TU. In Firefox 3.6 it's easy to create a 2nd bookmarks bar, but we will lose this convenience because of some code change in Firefox 4.0. I'm not saying it cannot be implemented, but if it will cost much coding, it would be better implemented by a separate extension.
Morgan B

Post by Morgan B »

ithinc wrote:
Morgan B wrote:Could somebody please help me understanding the statusbar buttons provided by TU? I've never had any use of them, so could somebody explain how they are meant to be used and give a use case?

They are designed to change the preferences temporarily. Suppose you want to open a number of threads in new tabs in mozillaZine Forum, but you don't want to use middle- or ctrl-click, you may just enable "Force all links to open in New Tab" and "Force all new tabs to open in Background", and then LEFT-click your interested threads.

Now they seem a lot more useful!

ithinc wrote:
Morgan B wrote:I'm also interested in how the "Force all new tabs to open in Background/Foreground" buttons work with the "All" and "None" checkboxes in the "Focus new tabs from:" section.

For your 2nd question, just try it.

Ok, they seem to work exactly as the statusbar buttons. I've always wondered what those two checkboxes do, but now I understand: They're for the new TU users, to avoid confusion.
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

ithinc wrote:
K4RBQT99 wrote:

if (event.button == 1) undoCloseTab();
Testing with it, the example doesn't work for me (Using the new name ...button.closetab-button.onclick). I'm missing something?

Hmm, use ...button.tabs-closebutton.onclick instead.

My mistake. Anyway, I would to test the previous code with the new tab button on the tab bar. I assume that the related preference is ...button.newtab-button.onclick, but it doesn't work. Maybe this is related with the fact that some mouse events for the new tab button can to be edited by the UI. So, is possible to add arbitrary code for middle-click with the newTab button?
czesiu

Post by czesiu »

How to setup this plugin to not interfere with normal link opening (e.g. it prevents opening links in new tabs in gmail...)
seeley

Post by seeley »

Select Last Visited Tab on Tab Close

Problem with addon, TabUtilities. After closing a tab, the browser always focuses on the right furthest tab REGARDLESS of what I select(or unselect) in the three boxes under Tab Closing in the settings. I even tried changing to different Values in "extensions.tabutils.selectOnClose" in about:config. Nothing seems to have an effect. I am trying to set TabUtilities to focus on the Last Visited Tab after closing a tab. In other words, focus back to the tab that contains the link I opened a new window with. I have tried every setting including the Last Visited Tab with no success. Thanks so much. Using FF4b8 on WinXPProf -Using TU Version 1.0pre12 I have read a great deal of this thread but I am still lost.

I have also tried setting "browser.tabs.selectOwnerOnClose" to true which works the way I would like it but it resets to false when I reboot.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

@seeley, I have read your problem at https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/773094. It's probably a conflict with your installed All-in-One Gestures extension. You may turn off tab focus related options in AiOG.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

czesiu wrote:How to setup this plugin to not interfere with normal link opening (e.g. it prevents opening links in new tabs in gmail...)

I use Gmail everyday. TU works well with it.