[Ext] Tab Utilities 1.5 - light but featureful

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
NickJH

Re: [Ext] Tab Utilities 0.9.9.9 - light but featureful

Post by NickJH »

braveheartleo wrote:Thanks NickJH for the suggestion, I'll take a look and see what I can get from it.

ithinc wrote:Sorry, but no context menu planned. Do as @NickJH suggested.

Alright, but it looks like that the new 1.0pre4 version offers a better alternative than the context menu, as I usually prefer shortcuts. Will see how it goes.

Paste and Go does both configurable shortcuts and context menu but then you have AdblockPlus, TU and Paste and Go using ctrl+shift+v so you could end up in a keyboard shortcut mess. I don't use the shortcuts as I like the context menu. TU has a nice left-click on tabbar option to do a paste and go as well but you may need to force a bit of blank space at one end of the bar or the other if you open lots of tabs
Morgan B

Post by Morgan B »

ithinc wrote:
bolobb wrote:PS: What are "unintentional" blank tabs?

"Unintentional" means you get a blank tab which is not supposed to appear, usually spawned by a download link.

Hmm... if the unintentional blank tabs aren't reused (just closed), maybe the option should be moved into the Tab closing tab instead?
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

I really liked the new shorcuts, thanks for your great work. Have you, ithinc, considered to add support for to control this with the 'Tab Opening' options? I am thinking about a check-box 'shorcuts keys' to 'Open New tabs for' and 'Focus new tabs from' sections.

ithinc wrote:
K4RBQT99 wrote:I have some problems with the 'Auto-close unintentional blank tabs' feature (I loved this).
2) Independently of the previous point, I think that it is a real problem: if the tab closed by the feature before mentioned is the unique tab of firefox, the window is closed too, even if I have checked 'Don't close last primary window when closing last tab' option.

Fixed in version 1.0pre1.

Only i want to comment a recent case related to this, i don't sure if it qualified for to be changed: If you go to the keyconfig page, and click the link for to install, a new tab is opened, with Firefox showing a popup for to confirm to install the addon from a unknown source, but the tab is fast closed for the auto-close feature, and the addon isn't installed. Only a moments after, I figured how to install the addon (without to disable auto-close) draging the link to the tab bar for to force a new tab.
bolobb

Post by bolobb »

ithinc wrote:
bolobb wrote:Could you add a shortcut to view-unview the list of recentlyclosedtabs without using the button?

Is it really useful? Maybe Ctrl+Shift+Z, as Ctrl+Z is now Undo Close Tab.

It could be useful for me because I like the browser as clean as possible, and the shortcuts always save time.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Morgan B wrote:Hmm... if the unintentional blank tabs aren't reused (just closed), maybe the option should be moved into the Tab closing tab instead?

This makes sense. Add a new section in Tab Closing tab?
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

K4RBQT99 wrote:I really liked the new shorcuts, thanks for your great work. Have you, ithinc, considered to add support for to control this with the 'Tab Opening' options? I am thinking about a check-box 'shorcuts keys' to 'Open New tabs for' and 'Focus new tabs from' sections.

Oh, that's quite a mass! I didn't find a solid connect between some shortcut key with these options. Do you have any?

ithinc wrote:Only i want to comment a recent case related to this, i don't sure if it qualified for to be changed: If you go to the keyconfig page, and click the link for to install, a new tab is opened, with Firefox showing a popup for to confirm to install the addon from a unknown source, but the tab is fast closed for the auto-close feature, and the addon isn't installed. Only a moments after, I figured how to install the addon (without to disable auto-close) draging the link to the tab bar for to force a new tab.

This is a known case.
I have reviewed this problem. I can reduce auto-closing some tabs, but then some blank tabs will be left after the downloads being intercepted by some download extensions, which stop the tabs just like you press the stop button.
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

ithinc wrote:
K4RBQT99 wrote:I really liked the new shorcuts, thanks for your great work. Have you, ithinc, considered to add support for to control this with the 'Tab Opening' options? I am thinking about a check-box 'shorcuts keys' to 'Open New tabs for' and 'Focus new tabs from' sections.

Oh, that's quite a mass! I didn't find a solid connect between some shortcut key with these options. Do you have any?

I only thought of Ctrl+V and Ctrl+X... seeing the rest now, yes, it don't apply ](*,)

ithinc wrote:This is a known case.
I have reviewed this problem. I can reduce auto-closing some tabs, but then some blank tabs will be left after the downloads being intercepted by some download extensions, which stop the tabs just like you press the stop button.

Well, maybe better the actual situation that the solution.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

braveheartleo wrote:I really like the new Paste and Go option introduced in recent 1.0pre3 of TU. As the shortcut collides with ABP, I have turned it off for the moment. However, it would really be nice if there's some way to put this function in the context menu. I know Firefox 4 has this built-in, but is there some way for Firefox 3.6.x to have this appear in the context menu?

I just forgot the customizable items for tab context menu. You may archive this by adding a custom item in the tab context menu. For example:
extensions.tabutils.menu.context_extra3 = true
extensions.tabutils.menu.context_extra3.label = "Paste & Go"
extensions.tabutils.menu.context_extra3.oncommand = "gBrowser.loadURLFromClipboard();"
braveheartleo

Post by braveheartleo »

ithinc wrote:
braveheartleo wrote:I really like the new Paste and Go option introduced in recent 1.0pre3 of TU. As the shortcut collides with ABP, I have turned it off for the moment. However, it would really be nice if there's some way to put this function in the context menu. I know Firefox 4 has this built-in, but is there some way for Firefox 3.6.x to have this appear in the context menu?

I just forgot the customizable items for tab context menu. You may archive this by adding a custom item in the tab context menu. For example:
extensions.tabutils.menu.context_extra3 = true
extensions.tabutils.menu.context_extra3.label = "Paste & Go"
extensions.tabutils.menu.context_extra3.oncommand = "gBrowser.loadURLFromClipboard();"

Thanks, that's what I was looking for when I asked about putting a context menu shortcut. Now, if only tab opening for paste & go command can bet set to open a new tab when invoked...
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

braveheartleo wrote:Thanks, that's what I was looking for when I asked about putting a context menu shortcut. Now, if only tab opening for paste & go command can bet set to open a new tab when invoked...

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Does it not open a new tab?
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Version 1.0pre5 is released.

Main changes:
1/ Improved "right as middle" and "stay menu open" options to work for awesome bar
2/ Improved "auto-close unintentional blank tabs" option to exclude manually stopped tab
3/ Added Ctrl+Shift+Z shortcut key for Recently Closed Tabs
braveheartleo

Post by braveheartleo »

ithinc wrote:
braveheartleo wrote:Thanks, that's what I was looking for when I asked about putting a context menu shortcut. Now, if only tab opening for paste & go command can bet set to open a new tab when invoked...

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Does it not open a new tab?

I'm sorry about that, it was a bit vague. I was referring to the paste and go command provided via the shortcut keys. If the shortcut key command, as well as the tab context menu command, could be controlled by the tab opening options then it would be great (paste and go can be set to open a new tab, window, or the current tab, and how it opens when invoked via the shortcut keys or the tab context menu).

Also, I've been noticing some inconsistencies with command states (whether a command is checked on unchecked in the context menu for example), perhaps as a result of the ever-growing features being supported by TU. One is this:
Auto functions such as auto-lock and auto-protect pinned tabs do not reflect the checked state in the tab context menu for the corresponding commands, depending upon which auto function is enabled:
* if auto-lock is enabled, then the Lock tab context menu (when selected in Appearance -> Menu -> Tab Context Menu) should have a check beside the Lock command item;
* or if auto-protect is enabled, then the Protect tab context menu should have a check beside the Protect command item;
* or both if the two auto functions are enabled.

Of course enabling or disabling any one of those command items in the tab context menu should not affect the enabled states of the corresponding auto function -- only that the command items should follow command states (is lock enabled? is protect enabled?). So for example if there is an auto-locked pinned tab, then by deactivating Lock from the tab context menu (Lock command item will be unchecked) it does not disable the auto-lock for future pinned tabs.

I haven't gone to investigate what effects might be there when selecting Lock for an already auto-locked pinned tab, or protect for that matter.

Hopefully as TU grows to support more features, it would maintain coherent UI states for parts of TU that handle the same operations.

In the end, TU keeps getting better, and much thanks to you for providing a better alternative for tab management. :-)
braveheartleo

Post by braveheartleo »

Another thing about the Locked tab appearance options: If the default appearance for Locked tabs, when the style options for it is disabled, is placing a red outline around the tab, then perhaps this should be reflected in the options too. Because that part of the appearance options is being some kind of a WYSIWYG editor, then showing the default shouldn't be bad.

Just sharing my thoughts.
ben_r_

Quick Question

Post by ben_r_ »

Okay, I guess Im a bit slow here, but I have been looking around and cant seem to figure out what Im doing wrong here.

How exactly do I create a new, or open a new tab in a new row, or ANYTHING accessing a new row of tabs in this extension? It says is supports multi-row tabs, and I have the option turned on in the preferences (at least I think correctly) but I cant figure out how to create a new row or open a new tab in a new row while browsing.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks all!
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

About the Ctrl+Arrows optional shorcuts for to navigate tabs, I noted a little conflict with some websites that capture the key arrows for to navigate in their content, for example, images gallery (example). Using the shorcut throws the key's pulsation to the web, too (reloading the page, commonly). Is it a issue of the site? TU can to do something about it?

Anyway, with the list of new shorcuts, i see the old Ctrl+Arrows a bit out of place (enabling it by the UI). It could use tabutils.shorcut.* instead. And, maybe, use other shorcut (Ctrl+Shift+Arrow) for match the form of the others.

ben_r_ wrote:How exactly do I create a new, or open a new tab in a new row, or ANYTHING accessing a new row of tabs in this extension?

Don't possible, i think. A new row is displayed only automatically when the actual row is full.