[Ext] Tab Utilities 1.5 - light but featureful

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Defenestration

Re: [Ext] Tab Utilities 0.9.9.9 - light but featureful

Post by Defenestration »

ithinc wrote:
Defenestration wrote:1.0pre10 doesn't work on my system with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 ID:20101203075014.

I have no problems with 1.0pre8

Any detailed info? And what about 1.0pre9?
I have TU set to use fixed width tabs, and not display the new tab button, but they are both displayed with 1.0pre10. Also the TU tab context menu is not displayed. When I go back to pre8, I get all this customisation back. What other information do you require ?

How can I get 1.0pre9 ?

ithinc wrote:The "reuse blank tabs" option doesn't work with session restore, for session restore will open all needed blank tabs first and then restore them one by one.
So this is an issue with Session Manager then ?

ithinc wrote:
Defenestration wrote:The "warn me when closing multiple tabs" firefox option does not work when closing the firefox window ...
It works fine when TU is not installed.

This is a false statement. Please test with a new profile with only TU installed.
Apologies - In my haste, I didn't test thoroughly with a new profile. I'll do some further testing to determine the actual cause.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Defenestration wrote:I have TU set to use fixed width tabs, and not display the new tab button, but they are both displayed with 1.0pre10. Also the TU tab context menu is not displayed. When I go back to pre8, I get all this customisation back. What other information do you require ?

This sounds like a conflict with some extension. Please help to figure it out for me to help you.

Defenestration wrote:How can I get 1.0pre9 ?

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/59961/versions/1.0pre9

Defenestration wrote:
ithinc wrote:The "reuse blank tabs" option doesn't work with session restore, for session restore will open all needed blank tabs first and then restore them one by one.

If you take it as a fault, it is Firefox's, but it seems Firefox itself never restores tabs in "append" mode. It just works as expected from TU's view. What does Session Manager behave without TU installed?
foxfrog

Post by foxfrog »

Tab Utilities Light has a conflict when NoScript is installed. Then it breaks the location bar's function. Typing in an address or clicking an address from the history list does nothing then.

Edit:
I just tried with a fresh FF install and brand new profile. If I install NoScript and then Tab Utilities Light, the mentioned behaviour occurs. So it's definitely a conflict of these two add-ons.

Tab Utilities Light 0.9.9.9.2
Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows XP SP3
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

I will get around to thwe other issues I reported, but I noticed a different bug to do with Undo Close Tabs - After restoring All recently closed tabs (in one go), the tab context menu does not work/display until after I right-click in the browser window itself to bring up the page context menu. However, there are no such problems after restoring a single closed tab.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

ithinc wrote:
Defenestration wrote:I have TU set to use fixed width tabs, and not display the new tab button, but they are both displayed with 1.0pre10. Also the TU tab context menu is not displayed. When I go back to pre8, I get all this customisation back. What other information do you require ?

This sounds like a conflict with some extension. Please help to figure it out for me to help you.

Defenestration wrote:

If you take it as a fault, it is Firefox's, but it seems Firefox itself never restores tabs in "append" mode. It just works as expected from TU's view. What does Session Manager behave without TU installed?

1.0pre9 also doesn't work, so the problem occured with a change made between 1.0pre8 and 1.0pre9.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

The conflict is between BarTab 2.1b1 and Tab Utilities, as 1.0pre10 works with BarTab disabled.
roth377

Post by roth377 »

I'm not sure how I can prove anything, but it seems for me that (with Tab Utilities pre10 being the only extension enabled), my forms are very slow to respond. I will type in an input box, and characters will not react until seconds later.

I'm not sure why a tab-related extension COULD be causing this, but if it's the only extension enabled, it behaves like it. If it's the only extension NOT enabled (with others enabled), the problem is not present.

[Edit]

To add to this, if I'm on a page with a form, and attempted to type into (for example) and input text field, nothing is really displaying as a type, but as soon as I move my mouse into the tab bar area, the screen finishes drawing the input. So perhaps it could be something with the drawing of the tab bar?
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Defenestration wrote:1.0pre9 also doesn't work, so the problem occured with a change made between 1.0pre8 and 1.0pre9.

Defenestration wrote:The conflict is between BarTab 2.1b1 and Tab Utilities, as 1.0pre10 works with BarTab disabled.

Confirmed, thanks. Please use BarTab 2.0 for Firefox 3.6 and report the issue to the BarTab creator to request a fix.

Defenestration wrote:I will get around to thwe other issues I reported, but I noticed a different bug to do with Undo Close Tabs - After restoring All recently closed tabs (in one go), the tab context menu does not work/display until after I right-click in the browser window itself to bring up the page context menu. However, there are no such problems after restoring a single closed tab.

With or without BarTab 2.1b1? Please provide reproducing steps from a very clean profile.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

foxfrog wrote:Tab Utilities Light has a conflict when NoScript is installed. Then it breaks the location bar's function. Typing in an address or clicking an address from the history list does nothing then.

Edit:
I just tried with a fresh FF install and brand new profile. If I install NoScript and then Tab Utilities Light, the mentioned behaviour occurs. So it's definitely a conflict of these two add-ons.

Tab Utilities Light 0.9.9.9.2
Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows XP SP3

Are you sure you install only NoScript and Tab Utilities Lite from a brand new profile? It cannot be reproduced according to your directions. Please provide more detailed reproducing steps.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

roth377 wrote:I'm not sure how I can prove anything, but it seems for me that (with Tab Utilities pre10 being the only extension enabled), my forms are very slow to respond. I will type in an input box, and characters will not react until seconds later.

I'm not sure why a tab-related extension COULD be causing this, but if it's the only extension enabled, it behaves like it. If it's the only extension NOT enabled (with others enabled), the problem is not present.

Please provide detailed reproducing steps. I see you're mentioning TU 1.0pre10. Can I assume that it doesn't happen before 1.0pre10?

roth377 wrote:To add to this, if I'm on a page with a form, and attempted to type into (for example) and input text field, nothing is really displaying as a type, but as soon as I move my mouse into the tab bar area, the screen finishes drawing the input. So perhaps it could be something with the drawing of the tab bar?

Post the page url you're testing with.
roth377

Post by roth377 »

ithinc wrote:Please provide detailed reproducing steps. I see you're mentioning TU 1.0pre10. Can I assume that it doesn't happen before 1.0pre10?

Unfortunately, I DON'T think that would be a safe assumption. I think it may have started pre08, but I had attributed it to something that proved to not be the cause. Strangely enough, it only seems to happen at my work computer, not my home computer. Common sense would then seem to indicate a computer-specific issue, but it only seems to be Firefox, and only then seems to be with Tab Utilities extension. The only big difference between home computer and work is work is windows 7 64-bit and home is 32-bit. Both same version of firefox and tab utilities (and both using same preference file for Tab Utilities)

ithinc wrote:Post the page url you're testing with.
Pretty much any sight with any sort of user form interaction. Google.com (with instant search turned off, just in case) was one of the sites.

Perhaps I'll clear out my profile and start fresh.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

roth377 wrote:I think it may have started pre08, but I had attributed it to something that proved to not be the cause. Strangely enough, it only seems to happen at my work computer, not my home computer. Common sense would then seem to indicate a computer-specific issue, but it only seems to be Firefox, and only then seems to be with Tab Utilities extension. The only big difference between home computer and work is work is windows 7 64-bit and home is 32-bit. Both same version of firefox and tab utilities (and both using same preference file for Tab Utilities)

I would guess it is due to something hardware-related Fx4 introduces. Please do some tests with the latest Firefox 4.0b9pre.

roth377 wrote:Perhaps I'll clear out my profile and start fresh.

You don't need to clear out your profile. Just create a new one for test purpose.
roth377

Post by roth377 »

ithinc wrote:I would guess it is due to something hardware-related Fx4 introduces. Please do some tests with the latest Firefox 4.0b9pre.
So far, seems like a good call (or else I just had a corrupted file during last install). I updated to beta 8, and the problem seems to have gone away.

ithinc wrote:You don't need to clear out your profile. Just create a new one for test purpose.
Gah, how could I forget about Profile Manager? Thanks for saving me the time of redoing a profile. For what it's worth, I did create a test profile before installing beta 8, and the problem persisted.
FilterJoe

Post by FilterJoe »

I just discovered Tab Utilities and I think it's great. From April through September I used Google Chrome 5 and loved the speed and uncluttered interface. But then they got rid of Phantom tabs on September 2, 2010. I loved Phantom tabs in Chrome for two big reasons:

A solution for self-refreshing tabs that leak memory (not an issue in Firefox)
Reduces distraction (the dimmed favicon is still easily accessible, but doesn't bug me with notifications)

I have been unhappy with Chrome since the removal of the phantom tab and am very happy to have finally discovered the equivalent implemented in Tab Utilities (unloaded, pinned tabs). So far, I haven not noticed any difference in behavior from Phantom tabs in Chrome 5.

I may switch back to Firefox for this reason. I suspect there are others who would switch back to Firefox for this one feature, given the intensity of disappointment with the loss of the Phantom tabs, such as here:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue ... l?id=49523

One suggestions: In the description for Tab Utilities, include a line that says:

"Pinned Tab behavior is similar to the Phantom Tab behavior in the Chrome 5 browser"

This would make it much easier for Phantom Tab enthusiasts to find this extension. I just did my part to publicize Tab Utilities, by updating my two posts that discuss Phantom Tabs:

http://www.filterjoe.com/2010/12/13/wil ... bably-not/

http://www.filterjoe.com/2010/07/05/mem ... orkaround/

The only unfortunate thing is that Firefox 3.6.x is a lot slower than Chrome. It takes about 10 seconds for my unloaded, pinned Gmail tab to load on Firefox, compared to less than 2 seconds on Chrome 8. Firefox 4 is supposed to be much faster so I'm hoping the speed difference will become negligible.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

ithinc wrote:
Defenestration wrote:I will get around to thwe other issues I reported, but I noticed a different bug to do with Undo Close Tabs - After restoring All recently closed tabs (in one go), the tab context menu does not work/display until after I right-click in the browser window itself to bring up the page context menu. However, there are no such problems after restoring a single closed tab.

With or without BarTab 2.1b1? Please provide reproducing steps from a very clean profile.
Clean profile with only Tab Utilities 1.0pre10. To reproduce,

1) Load up three tabs, then close two of them.
2) Right-click on the tab bar area and select Recently Closed Tabs->Restore All Tabs
3) Right-click on the tab bar area
-- context menu will not be displayed
4) Right click on the browser window (not the tab bar area) to bring up a context menu
5) Right-click on the tab bar area
-- context menu will be displayed