MozillaZine

[Ext] Tab Utilities 1.5 - light but featureful

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
e.alimonda

Post Posted January 16th, 2011, 11:28 am

Great add-on, but it causes esthetically unpleasant glitches on Firefox 4 (tried on beta 9 and beta10pre) for Mac. It breaks the tab bar style by adding an extra 1px padding around it.

The issue happens both with tabs on top and with tabs on bottom. The screenshots have been taken on a clean profile, with no other addons and custom styles applied.

Before installing TU:

After installing:

This css code (in Stylish) seems to fix the issue:
Code: Select all
@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

toolbox#navigator-toolbox toolbar#TabsToolbar {
padding: 0 !important;
}

//Edit: There seems to be another issue with the scroller arrows, getting shown even when they're not needed (i.e. when the tabs start getting resized to fit the tab bar, but they've not reached the minimum size yet, thus not scrolling yet). Firefox 4 by default handles that correctly and show the arrows only when they're really needed.

ithinc

Post Posted January 17th, 2011, 1:55 am

NickJH wrote:There does not appear to be a default behaviour in Ff safemode as clicking on the tabbar does nothing.
I've checked in TMP and its behaviour is the same as yours. That is odd as I seem to be undoing closed tabs more often with TU than I did with TMP.
To be honest, I would have expected that line to belong to the active tab as that is the way it is drawn in the default theme.

Having said that it is probably best to ignore me if this is the default behaviour. I would do best to question in the builds forum.

[edit]
I've just checked 4.0b9 and the behaviour is different, but that may be because the tabbar is above the location bar. Anything below the row of tabs there does not respond to a middle click which is as I would have expected.
[/edit]

By default, Firefox provides double click and right click. It operates on the bottom line the same as on the tab bar. Double click will open a new tab.
In Fx4, there seems no bottom line?

ithinc

Post Posted January 17th, 2011, 1:58 am

bolobb wrote:I use the shortcut ctrl-shift-pagupordown to move a tab in the bartab back and forward, but after the moving the focus remains on the tab instead of the page, thing that instead happens when I use ctrl-pagupordown to move from one page to another. I would like to have the same behaviour, because if the focus is always on the page then I can navigate it immediately with the keyboard without focusing before with the mouse. Moreover if the tab is focused (instead of the page) and I use the arrows in the keyboard, it behave as if I was using ctrl-pagupordown, and it's not comfortable. It's a little thing, but the more improvements the better.

Any other comment on this?
The feature itself is provided by Firefox. I just assign some shortcut keys.

ithinc

Post Posted January 17th, 2011, 2:08 am

e.alimonda wrote:Great add-on, but it causes esthetically unpleasant glitches on Firefox 4 (tried on beta 9 and beta10pre) for Mac. It breaks the tab bar style by adding an extra 1px padding around it.

Thanks for your report. I have no Mac env. to have a test. Are you using TU Default Settings? Try to set "browser.tabs.tabMinHeight" to 0.

e.alimonda wrote://Edit: There seems to be another issue with the scroller arrows, getting shown even when they're not needed (i.e. when the tabs start getting resized to fit the tab bar, but they've not reached the minimum size yet, thus not scrolling yet). Firefox 4 by default handles that correctly and show the arrows only when they're really needed.

I need more detailed info. When does the arrows appear, from the Firefox start? Even when there is only one tab?

e.alimonda

Post Posted January 17th, 2011, 4:39 am

ithinc wrote:Thanks for your report. I have no Mac env. to have a test. Are you using TU Default Settings? Try to set "browser.tabs.tabMinHeight" to 0.

Yes, The first thing I did when I noticed it was to test it with default settings in a new, clean Firefox profile. (and the screenshots are from there.) Setting browser.tabs.tabMinHeight doesn't change anything (actually, any value <= 24 shows no visible changes).

ithinc wrote:I need more detailed info. When does the arrows appear, from the Firefox start? Even when there is only one tab?

No, only when a certain amount of tabs are shown. You can see it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liaVilIKAi0
In the video, I used two newly made clean profiles, one with TU insalled and the other without it. No configuration changes have been made, except the Tabs on Top setting (but the problem happens with tabs on top as well, I've put them on bottom just as a personal preference)

If you need more info or you have ideas you want me to try, feel free to ask. I'll be happy to help :3

dodo99

Post Posted January 17th, 2011, 4:51 am

I have just installed FF 4.0 beta9 (Build 20110110191547) and when I close all other tabs appear this pop up:

Assert: Giving up waiting for the tab closing animation to finish (bug 608589)
Stack Trace:
O:([object XULElement],[object XULElement],0).

System windows 7 64-bit
No this behaviour whit FF 4.0 beta 8

REVerdi

Post Posted January 18th, 2011, 4:43 pm

There is a small bug in the translation of sessionHistoryMenu.label in pt-BR:

pt-BR: preferences.dtd <!ENTITY sessionHistoryMenu.label "Menu de">
en-US: preferences.dtd <!ENTITY sessionHistoryMenu.label "Session History Menu">

"Menu de" means nothing. I suggest "Menu de histórico da aba".

In Portuguese would not be better "Tab History Menu"?

jmkray

Post Posted January 18th, 2011, 6:35 pm

I think I have isolated the Assertion Failed Message mentioned above.

I believe that xMarks bookmark add-on causes this to crash. I experimented and gradually added back one add-on at a time to a clean version of FF 4 Beta 9 and it was only after I added xMarks that the Assertion Failed message pops up. If you have xMarks, disable it and see if that is the case for your set-up.

Hope this gets fixed real soon.

:lol:

dodo99

Post Posted January 19th, 2011, 8:05 am

Jimkray,

I don't have xMarks,
here the list of my add-on:

Adblock Plus 1.3.3
Adobe Acrobat 9.4.1.222
Autodesk Design Review Firefox Add-on v1.1 1.1.0.0
British English Dictionary 1.19.1
Default 4.0b8 [DISABLED]
Dizionario italiano 3.2
Download Statusbar 0.9.7.2
DownloadHelper 4.8.2
Feedback 1.0.3 [DISABLED]
FlashGot 1.2.8
Google Earth Plugin 1.0.0.1
Google Toolbar for Firefox 7.1.20101113Wb1
Google Update 1.2.183.13
Java Console 6.0.22 [DISABLED]
Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.220.4 6.0.220.4
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U22 6.0.220.4
Microsoft Office 2010 14.0.4730.1010
Microsoft Office 2010 14.0.4761.1000
MinimizeToTray revived (MinTrayR) 0.8.4
Nightly Tester Tools 3.1
NoScript 2.0.9.3
Nuvola 1.9.7
PC Sync 2 Synchronisation Extension 1.0.0.732 [DISABLED]
Picasa 3.1.0.0
RealPlayer Version Plugin 6.0.12.448
RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit) 6.0.12.450
Shockwave Flash 10.2.151.49
Shockwave for Director 11.5.9.615
Silverlight Plug-In 4.0.51204.0
Tab Utilities 1.0
VLC Multimedia Plug-in 1.1.5.0
WOT 20100908

ithinc

Post Posted January 19th, 2011, 9:36 am

jmkray wrote:I think I have isolated the Assertion Failed Message mentioned above.

I believe that xMarks bookmark add-on causes this to crash. I experimented and gradually added back one add-on at a time to a clean version of FF 4 Beta 9 and it was only after I added xMarks that the Assertion Failed message pops up. If you have xMarks, disable it and see if that is the case for your set-up.

Hope this gets fixed real soon.

@jmkray, post your xMarks version for others to reproduce it.

ithinc

Post Posted January 19th, 2011, 9:42 am

REVerdi wrote:There is a small bug in the translation of sessionHistoryMenu.label in pt-BR:

pt-BR: preferences.dtd <!ENTITY sessionHistoryMenu.label "Menu de">
en-US: preferences.dtd <!ENTITY sessionHistoryMenu.label "Session History Menu">

"Menu de" means nothing. I suggest "Menu de histórico da aba".

In Portuguese would not be better "Tab History Menu"?

http://www.babelzilla.org/forum/index.p ... st&p=58031

ithinc

Post Posted January 19th, 2011, 9:44 am

dodo99 wrote:I have just installed FF 4.0 beta9 (Build 20110110191547) and when I close all other tabs appear this pop up:

Stack Trace:

System windows 7 64-bit

Have you tried with other add-ons disabled?
Have you tried with 4.0b10pre?

ithinc

Post Posted January 19th, 2011, 9:49 am

e.alimonda wrote:If you need more info or you have ideas you want me to try, feel free to ask. I'll be happy to help :3

Thanks for your help. Could you use DOM Inspector to locate which rule the padding is from? TU should have not added it.

dodo99

Post Posted January 19th, 2011, 10:25 am

ithinc wrote:
dodo99 wrote:I have just installed FF 4.0 beta9 (Build 20110110191547) and when I close all other tabs appear this pop up:

Stack Trace:

System windows 7 64-bit

Have you tried with other add-ons disabled?
Yes - works well.

Have you tried with 4.0b10pre?

No

e.alimonda

Post Posted January 19th, 2011, 1:38 pm

ithinc wrote:Thanks for your help. Could you use DOM Inspector to locate which rule the padding is from? TU should have not added it.

#TabsToolbar[tabsontop="false"] {
    padding-top: 2px; /* When tabs are on bottom */
}

#TabsToolbar[tabsontop="true"]:not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
    padding-bottom: 2px; /* When tabs are on top */
}

I've also tried toggling them off by using the ChromeBug Firebug plugin and it removes the border.

It looks like the rule is still there if I disable TU, but there's something else that undoes the extra padding:

The element "toolbar#TabsToolBar > tabs#tabbrowser-tabs > xul:arrowscrollbox.tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox > xul:scrollbox.arrowscrollbox-scrollbox" is affected by the following rules:

#tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox > .arrowscrollbox-scrollbox {
    margin-top: -2px; /* [1] This seems to be undoing the extra padding added to #TabsToolbar.  There is an equivalent for the case where tabs are on top as well. */
}

.tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox > .arrowscrollbox-scrollbox {
    -moz-padding-end: 4px; /* [2] This seems to be preventing the scroller arrows from appearing when not strictly needed */
    -moz-padding-start: 5px; /* [3] This seems to be adding the missing space on the left side */
}

Adding [1] back when TU is enabled through Firebug or Stylish fixes the top/bottom padding issue. Adding [2] and [3], though, seems to have no effect on the presence of the scroll arrows and the missing spacing on the left side (probably because the tab bar structure is modified by TU)

Return to Extension/Theme Releases