[Ext] Load Tabs Progressively 1.6 - load tabs one by one

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ithinc

Re: [Ext] Load Tabs Progressively 1.0 - load tabs one by one

Post by ithinc »

JohnBosler wrote:with yahoo mail (or any page where information is submited and the page is reused) i load pages but it does not count them in the total pages loading at the time. i have the setting for loading 2 pages but because the page is reused there is actualy 3 pages loading while the addon going thru the que list. so i was wondering if it could be added in for sencing weter other pages are loading to better control the que list.

Page loading from the active tab is always the 1st priority. Maybe you can reload the failed pages with the context menuitem "Reload Tab", so they can be started in the background and added in the queue.
nizhneportovaya

Post by nizhneportovaya »

At me often is this error in error-console:

Code: Select all

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface]"  nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://loadtabsprogressively/content/overlay.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 423"  data: no]

What is it?
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

nizhneportovaya wrote:At me often is this error in error-console:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface]"  nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://loadtabsprogressively/content/overlay.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 423"  data: no]

What is it?

Thanks for the report. I will investigate it.
garcia

Post by garcia »

Hi,
this is a great extension. Currently using it with FF4 beta. Just one thing though. What would make this an even better extension (and better integrated into FF4) is if you could load only the tabs in the current tab group (within panorama).

Lets say you start up firefox and you have e.g. 5 tab groups in panorama (from last session).

Whatever tab group you start in (say group1), it would load only those tabs into memory, and not the tabs from the other tab groups.

Then lets say you switch to another tab group (say group2) then it would load all the tabs from group2.

So it would load whole tab groups at once, but only when you switched to them (not before).

I've kind of got this working in FF 4.08b by accident. On starting LTP will only load the tabs in the current tab group. Only problem is when I switch to another tab group sometimes it will load all the tabs (as I want), and other times it will load only the selected tab (not what I want). Doesn't work in other versions of 4 though (e.g. 4.09b, 4.10b etc.). Any way this "accidental feature" in 4.08b could be made a permanent feature?

Many thanks!
garcia.
Grg68

Post by Grg68 »

Hi ithinc and everybody else here,

Thanks for LTP. Good tool and useful to reduce the load of browser and overall the system. I have
installed it recently and i try to be familiar in use of it. Also, i have translated it (you will have the
translation soon).
For now, i have a question. Usually i play with many tabs and i keep unloaded most of them using LTP.
All tabs are read when i close firefox. So, when i open firefox, restoring the previous session, why LTP
considers all tabs unread highlighting them? Because of this, i can't open-load a new tab in the
background without visit it first to start loading. My options are to set "Maximum number of unread loaded tabs"
to -1(does not serves me) or visit all restored tabs to make them read (only for the current session!). But
this is a pain when i have to deal with 50-100 or more tabs!
Why LTP does not preserves the "read flag" over sessions??

Thank you
Grg
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Grg68 wrote:
For now, i have a question. Usually i play with many tabs and i keep unloaded most of them using LTP.
All tabs are read when i close firefox. So, when i open firefox, restoring the previous session, why LTP
considers all tabs unread highlighting them? Because of this, i can't open-load a new tab in the
background without visit it first to start loading. My options are to set "Maximum number of unread loaded tabs"
to -1(does not serves me) or visit all restored tabs to make them read (only for the current session!). But
this is a pain when i have to deal with 50-100 or more tabs!
Why LTP does not preserves the "read flag" over sessions??

Thanks for your el translation.
LTP will remove "mark unread" feature from version 1.5. You may upgrade it to 1.5rc manually.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

garcia wrote:Hi,
this is a great extension. Currently using it with FF4 beta. Just one thing though. What would make this an even better extension (and better integrated into FF4) is if you could load only the tabs in the current tab group (within panorama).

Lets say you start up firefox and you have e.g. 5 tab groups in panorama (from last session).

Whatever tab group you start in (say group1), it would load only those tabs into memory, and not the tabs from the other tab groups.

Then lets say you switch to another tab group (say group2) then it would load all the tabs from group2.

So it would load whole tab groups at once, but only when you switched to them (not before).

I've kind of got this working in FF 4.08b by accident. On starting LTP will only load the tabs in the current tab group. Only problem is when I switch to another tab group sometimes it will load all the tabs (as I want), and other times it will load only the selected tab (not what I want). Doesn't work in other versions of 4 though (e.g. 4.09b, 4.10b etc.). Any way this "accidental feature" in 4.08b could be made a permanent feature?

LTP was working this way. It was from some b9pre version LTP became incompatible with Fx4.
garcia

Post by garcia »

ithinc wrote:LTP was working this way. It was from some b9pre version LTP became incompatible with Fx4.

Many thanks ithinc!

Any idea if/when it will be fixed? Would be great if it could be made compatible again.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

garcia wrote:Any idea if/when it will be fixed? Would be great if it could be made compatible again.

Probably before the end of this month.
Alexander84

Post by Alexander84 »

*bump*
zegames

Post by zegames »

This is a known bug?

Some app tabs, after click to open any link it open the background tab "disabled".
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

zegames wrote:This is a known bug?

Some app tabs, after click to open any link it open the background tab "disabled".

It's unknown until you reported. Please try to figure out the reproducing steps.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Version 1.6 is released. Please upgrade to the new version and validate your problems.
Last edited by ithinc on April 5th, 2011, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
zegames

Post by zegames »

Open google reader (add this feed http://guru3d.com/news_rss.php if you don't have any), open more 3 tabs with any page (google.com is easy), change all tabs to app tab. Now, switch to google reader tab and open in new tab ten feed itens (a high number to be sure to see the problem).

Confirmed?

Let know if you are able to reproduce the bug. If need I can make a screencast.

Error console:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface]"  nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://loadtabsprogressively/content/overlay.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 438"  data: no]
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

zegames wrote:Open google reader (add this feed http://guru3d.com/news_rss.php if you don't have any), open more 3 tabs with any page (google.com is easy), change all tabs to app tab. Now, switch to google reader tab and open in new tab ten feed itens (a high number to be sure to see the problem).

Confirmed?

It's still not quite clear what the problem is. You may set the 2nd option to -1 if you want all the background tabs to be loaded.

zegames wrote:Error console:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface]"  nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://loadtabsprogressively/content/overlay.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 438"  data: no]

This problem hasn't been identified. It seems it doesn't have more affects.