[Ext] MClickFocusTab

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
yuoo2k

[Ext] MClickFocusTab

Post by yuoo2k »

MClickFocusTab

Description: Hold middle click a while to open the new tab in the foreground.
Author: yuoo2k
AMO page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7446
Compatibility: Firefox 1.5 - 3.6.*
License: Mozilla Public License, version 1.1

Main Features:
  • Shortly middle click to open the new tab in the background. Hold middle click a while to open the new tab in the foreground.
  • If middle click is long enough, highlight the target to provide a visual indicator.
Install/Download: Official Release, All Versions, Latest DevBuild

Developer Comments:
  • Before you report any problems, please try the DevBuild first. It might already fix your problem.
  • If your problem still happened, please help to create a new profile with only MClickFocusTab installed for testing if it is caused by extension conflict.
  • I have to reproduce your problem, and then I can begin to debug and find out how to solve it.
    Please give me the problem's reproduce steps and what you can see in your error console. That will be helpful.
hllwn

Re: [Ext] MClickFocusTab

Post by hllwn »

This extension really got my attention. Though there are two things which prevents me using this addon.

1. It conflicts with Tab Utilities extension. It does not work at all while Tab Utilities is enabled.
2. I really want to customize middle click's holding duration

Thanks.
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

hllwn wrote:1. It conflicts with Tab Utilities extension. It does not work at all while Tab Utilities is enabled.

Hello, I can't reproduce this problem.
Please help create a new profile with only MClickFocusTab and TabUtilities installed, and give me the reproduce steps, thanks

hllwn wrote:2. I really want to customize middle click's holding duration

There is an option to control the holding duration:
about:config
mclickfocustab.timeout = 300
hllwn

Post by hllwn »

yuoo2k wrote:Hello, I can't reproduce this problem.
Please help create a new profile with only MClickFocusTab and TabUtilities installed, and give me the reproduce steps, thanks

It appears that Tab Utilities v.0.9.9.3 does not have problems but I can't get MClickFocusTab work with v.9.9.5pre8 no matter what I did. I will ask this to TabUtilities developer.

Reproduce Steps:
1. created new test profile and installed only TabUtilities 0.9.9.5pre8 and MClickFocusTab
2. In TabUtilities options Tabs/Tab Opening/Focus Tabs From All: enabled.
3. When I click a link it always loads it in background. When I click a link and hold it, it's highlighted but still loads in background.

yuoo2k wrote:There is an option to control the holding duration:
mclickfocustab.timeout = 300

thanks for this setting.

And one more thing. Is it possible to make highligh a bit more clear? Right now its very hard to notice.

Thanks
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

hllwn wrote:Is it possible to make highligh a bit more clear? Right now its very hard to notice.

What kind of highlight you think ?
Current highlight: make the target becomes transparent (simply set the target's opacity style = 0.7), so it can work both on text and image.
hllwn

Post by hllwn »

yuoo2k wrote:
hllwn wrote:Is it possible to make highligh a bit more clear? Right now its very hard to notice.

What kind of highlight you think ?
Current highlight: make the target becomes transparent (simply set the target's opacity style = 0.7), so it can work both on text and image.

That's right. I forgot about images. Maybe opacity is the best attribute to change. Can we tweak opacity value also?
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

OK, please try the following new version:
1.0.20100602: http://forum.moztw.org/download/file.php?id=10497
+ fixed: conflict with Tab Utilities 0.9.9.5pre8
+ added: allow to customize the target's highlight style.

* mclickfocustab.timeout = 300
* mclickfocustab.stayopenmenu = true
* mclickfocustab.highlight = true
* mclickfocustab.highlight.style = "opacity: 0.7;"
bolidew

Post by bolidew »

If I hold middle click a while on a link BUT then decide not to open this link, is there any way to cancel the opening action?
hllwn

Post by hllwn »

bolidew wrote:If I hold middle click a while on a link BUT then decide not to open this link, is there any way to cancel the opening action?

just move your mouse away from link?
hllwn

Post by hllwn »

yuoo2k wrote:OK, please try the following new version:
1.0.20100602: http://forum.moztw.org/download/file.php?id=10497
+ fixed: conflict with Tab Utilities 0.9.9.5pre8
+ added: allow to customize the target's highlight style.

* mclickfocustab.timeout = 300
* mclickfocustab.stayopenmenu = true
* mclickfocustab.highlight = true
* mclickfocustab.highlight.style = "opacity: 0.7;"

Thank you very much.
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

bolidew wrote:If I hold middle click a while on a link BUT then decide not to open this link, is there any way to cancel the opening action?

Well, I have no special design for this situation, what is the best way you think ?

Currently, any mouse up event will reset the holding flag. So, hold the middle click, and then right click down and up, it can reset the action, but, of cause, it will popup the context menu.

Or, as hllwn said, just move mouse away from link, that will cancel the whole clicking link action.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

hllwn wrote:It appears that Tab Utilities v.0.9.9.3 does not have problems but I can't get MClickFocusTab work with v.9.9.5pre8 no matter what I did. I will ask this to TabUtilities developer.

Reproduce Steps:
1. created new test profile and installed only TabUtilities 0.9.9.5pre8 and MClickFocusTab
3. When I click a link it always loads it in background. When I click a link and hold it, it's highlighted but still loads in background.

The "Focus tabs from All" option should only be enabled temporarily. You're using it in an improper way.
Post feature requests to http://tabutils.uservoice.com.
Post bug reports to https://github.com/ithinc/tabutils/issues.
hllwn

Post by hllwn »

ithinc wrote:
hllwn wrote:It appears that Tab Utilities v.0.9.9.3 does not have problems but I can't get MClickFocusTab work with v.9.9.5pre8 no matter what I did. I will ask this to TabUtilities developer.

Reproduce Steps:

The "Focus tabs from All" option should only be enabled temporarily. You're using it in an improper way.

I'm aware of that and I dont enable "Focus tabs from All" normally. I enabled Focus Tabs from "Bookmark/History", "Links", "Diverted Windows", etc... (not all) but MClickFocusTab refused to work. Then, for testing purposes I enabled "Focus tabs from All" and MClickFocusTab still didnt work. Eventually after last update of MClickFocusTab v.1.0.20100602 everything's working fine so far.
hllwn

Post by hllwn »

Highlighting does not work on some links after the 3.6.6 update. For example:

1. open www.google.com
2. Hold middle click on Advanced Search, highlighting works.
3. Hold middle click on News, highlighting does not work.

Also one more thing. Is it possible to apply different highlighting settings to links and images? Because transparency works very good for images but it's very ugly for links.
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

hllwn wrote:Highlighting does not work on some links after the 3.6.6 update. For example:

1. open http://www.google.com
2. Hold middle click on Advanced Search, highlighting works.
3. Hold middle click on News, highlighting does not work.

Also one more thing. Is it possible to apply different highlighting settings to links and images? Because transparency works very good for images but it's very ugly for links.

You can try combine the highlighting styles. For example:
mclickfocustab.highlight.style = "opacity: 0.7; color: red; font-style: italic; text-shadow: 1px 1px 2px yellow;"