[Ext] Foobar

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
FrankTheTank

Re: [Ext] Foobar

Post by FrankTheTank »

I am having a problem where foobar sometimes just goes to the first url when i do a search. I want it always to do a google search and give me the results. Is there an option I am missing?
FrankTheTank

Post by FrankTheTank »

anyone else have this issue?
craigpierce

Post by craigpierce »

Hello All -

As always, I've been quite busy and have ignored Foobar for awhile. However, I'm working on the next release right now, which I will submit soon.

Thank you for your patience!!!
craigpierce

Post by craigpierce »

dmccunney wrote:One quirk I just noticed in Foobar: it has two choices for "Suggestion style", Simple, and Rich. If I use Simple, I get an undecorated drop-down box, and a character or two entered in the URL bar are all that is needed to retrieve likely sample URLs from History and Bookmarks. If I use Rich, that changes - I have to enter a lot more of the target URL I'm after before it kicks in.

I have no idea why this should be the case. I just use Simple for speed, but don't understand why styling is affecting how much I have to enter to initiate retrieval.
______
Dennis

Wow - I have no idea why it would work like this, since both styles still use the same functionality. Thank you for pointing it out - I'll look into this...
craigpierce

Post by craigpierce »

KaaMoS wrote:First of all, thank you so much for your work!

I'd like to tell you that I've already posted this request at Mozilla Add-ons, this is a copy just in case you didn't check it there under the name "More than 10 visible suggestions?".

I'd like to change the maximum number of visible suggestions for search results and URL bar from 10 to something higher. Since my monitor is 1680x1050, I'd like to use 54 instead:
· 12 for search suggestions (probably less)
· 42 for URL bar suggestions.

I already tried by changing these values directly from about:config but it doesn't work.
I also changed "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults" to fit with them, but it doesn't affect Foobar's restriction (no matter which value I use); so, Add-ons like "Locationbar Limit" can't work together with yours.

Do you think you could allow users to change the maximum value for visible suggestions from 10 to anything higher, please? if this were possible, I could use just your Add-on instead of use 2 (or even 3).

In my opinion, Add-ons that Foobar could replace if this feature were added are:
· Oldbar
· Old Locaton Bar
· Locationbar Limit
· Omnibar

Thank you so much!

Thanks for the kind words - I'm glad you like Foobar!!

I've been struggling with this issue on and off for awhile, but I believe I've finally fixed it in this latest release. Look for v1.6.2 soon, and this issue should be resolved with a maximum limit of 50 for both types of suggestions. (for a total of 100 between the two)
craigpierce

Post by craigpierce »

KaaMoS wrote:I also have other little requests:

1) As Navigation bar and Search bar are mixed, their context menus should be merged (I've lost all Search bar context menu features).
2) There should be an option to open search results in a background tab. Since I installed Foobar, all search results are being displayed in a new, but focused tab. This is so annoying.

Thanks!

Noted - I'll look into both of these!
craigpierce

Post by craigpierce »

Gingerbread Man wrote:If I use Rich styling for suggestions, I only get a single suggestion despite my settings.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I tried the Rich style for the first time in a long time and, yes, that is annoying!! I'm not sure why this would be the case, since this is just a style and the suggestion functionality remains the same between styles, but I'll certainly look into it.
craigpierce

Post by craigpierce »

FrankTheTank wrote:I am having a problem where foobar sometimes just goes to the first url when i do a search. I want it always to do a google search and give me the results. Is there an option I am missing?

Hi! I'm sorry, but I've never had this particular issue happen to me, and there's no option that should make this happen. My only guess is that sometimes Foobar thinks your search string is really a URL.

If you think that a search may confuse Foobar, you can force it to perform a search by prefacing your search string with the engine keyword, like:

/g mozilla.com

In that case, Foobar will search Google for "mozilla.com" instead of trying to navigate you to http://mozilla.com

Hope that helps, and thanks for using Foobar!
teohhanhui

Post by teohhanhui »

Bug: Typing and pressing Enter fast will result in dropdown being reopened later (search suggestions enabled).

Feature suggestion: Press Tab to insert search keyword in front (cycling between different search engines) ala Mozilla Prospector - AwesomeBar HD.
zegames

Post by zegames »

teohhanhui wrote:Bug: Typing and pressing Enter fast will result in dropdown being reopened later (search suggestions enabled).

This is very annoyance ;/
KaaMoS

Post by KaaMoS »

zegames wrote:
teohhanhui wrote:Bug: Typing and pressing Enter fast will result in dropdown being reopened later (search suggestions enabled).

This is very annoyance ;/

Seems to be that Foobar is using "Search Engine" when any of the words I'm typing fits with any "Search Engine Name" I'm using (which is what I'm facing).
I.E. Typing the word "Facebook" will enable "Facebook" Search Engine to search anything since then, making impossible to use the Search Engine I've set/located on Foobar/Navigation Bar.

I hope this could be fixed soon.
-=[ VERONIKA ZEMANOVÁ LOVER ]=-
zegames

Post by zegames »

Beyond the issue reported by teohhanhui, an additional suggestion:

Foobar should perform a search using keyword only if user input in format "keyword + space + keywords", examples:

"a" is my keyword to search on Amazon, but if I type "ants picture", it will not search using my default engine.

Same case of "f", that is my Firefox Addons search, "e" for Ebay, "gi" for Google images, etc.
craigpierce

Post by craigpierce »

Hello All -

I'm sorry this update comes so late. Some of your concerns are known issues and some are new that I have made notes about in my TODO log.

I'll be fixing all of these things in the next release - I'm just not sure how soon the next release will happen.

I'm sorry to make everyone wait so long for these fixes - I promise that, as a regular Foobar user myself, these things are very aggravating for me as well. I want to fix them just as much as you want them to be fixed!

Thanks for your patience!
zegames

Post by zegames »

Other possible bug.

" T " is my keyword for Torrentleech.

When I try to open site bellow, it start searching in Torrentleech

Code: Select all

http://www.planetamma.net/eventos/T r a n s m i s s a o P L A N E T A M M A - M A R C U S B R A G A - 3 V z I E J y Y W d h I G N v b n Z p Z G 9 1 I H Z v Y o g cGFyYSBwYXJ0aWNpcGFyIGRvIG9ya3V0LTWFyY3VzIEJyYWdhIGNvbnZpZG91IHZEP8AGCEKMVBAAGCEKTWFyY3 MVBAX.asp.html  (yes, this url is valid)

Code: Select all

http://www.torrentleech.org/torrents/browse/index/query
/r+a+n+s+m+i+s+s+a+o+P+L+A+N+E+T+A+M+M+A+-+M+A+R+C+U+S+B+R+A+G+A+-+3+V+z+I+
E+J+y+Y+W+d+h+I+G+N+v+b+n+Z+p+Z+G+9+1+I+H+Z+v+Y+o+g+cGFyYSBwYXJ0aWNpcGFyIGRvIG
9ya3V0LTWFyY3VzIEJyYWdhIGNvbnZpZG91IHZEP8AGCEKMVBAAGCEKTWFyY3+MVBAX.asp.html (manual word-wrap to avoid horizontal scrollbars)
Cattleya

Post by Cattleya »

I think you should remove generate QR code, shorten url feature with bit.ly, tinyurl, these features are useless and not associated with add-on's name at all.

For QR Code i use this bookmarklet: http://ajbatac.com/qrcode-bookmarklet.php
Bit.ly bookmarklet: https://bitly.com/pages/tools
TinyURL bookmarklet: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-useful-b ... b-browser/