Add-ons Manager Hilite [Thunderbird & Legacy]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
rob64rock

Re: [Ext] Add-ons Manager Hilite [Firefox 4]

Post by rob64rock »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Announcing new beta version: 1.0b1 (major update)

Feedback wanted on the new UI, as well as any bug reports. Be sure to turn on the autocomplete dropdown UI option for testing. Thanks.

1.) The Autocomplete Listbox needs to be 20px or more wider like before on AMH 0.8.3, so the names of the addon's don't get cut off.

2.) Regarding Autocomplete Listbox just being set to open an add-on's Detail View(which I rarely view), I suggest providing Autocomplete Listbox two options: 'Select Add-on in List' or 'Show Add-on Details List', also when the 'Always Remember Hilite' option is disabled and you have the Autocomplete Listbox with my suggested option: 'Select Add-on in List' enabled, it would then show the 'Autocomplete Listbox with button' like before on AMH 0.8.3.

3.) Autocomplete Listbox doesn't work with AOM Userstyle category for those that have Stylish installed.(you may not need or want to include that compatibility, I just figure I would point it out to you since I noticed)
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

rob64rock wrote:1.) The Autocomplete Listbox needs to be 20px or more wider like before on AMH 0.8.3, so the names of the addon's don't get cut off.

The ones that get cut off, show their full name in a tooltip when hovered. But I agree that the listbox should be somewhat wider. For now you can specify:

Code: Select all

#aomhilite_ac_menu {width: 18em;}

(or whatever you deem appropriate) in your userContent.css file (not userChrome.css, because Add-ons Mgr. is in-content UI)
rob64rock wrote:2.) Regarding Autocomplete Listbox just being set to open an add-on's Detail View(which I rarely view), I suggest providing Autocomplete Listbox two options: 'Select Add-on in List' or 'Show Add-on Details List', also when the 'Always Remember Hilite' option is disabled and you have the Autocomplete Listbox with my suggested option: 'Select Add-on in List' enabled, it would then show the 'Autocomplete Listbox with button' like before on AMH 0.8.3.

Upon further thought, it should probably only display the selection in detail view if that's what view you are currently in.

Edit: Note that the string 'Always Remember Hilite' has been changed to 'Always Restore Hilite' in newer versions of Addons Manager Hilite.

I expected that the 'Always Remember Hilite' option should be sufficient for most people, and avoids needing to click a button. It's not difficult to change the option if necessary when performing a specific task. Deciding upon each opening of Add-ons Mgr seemed somewhat an edge case to me. The button is unlikely to come back, but perhaps I can find some other method to ease this use case.

rob64rock wrote:3.) Autocomplete Listbox doesn't work with AOM Userstyle category for those that have Stylish installed.(you may not need or want to include that compatibility, I just figure I would point it out to you since I noticed)

I don't use Stylish and have no idea what 'AOM Userstyle category' is. Could you explain that further?

Thanks for the feedback; sometimes figuring out how something /should/ work is harder than the actual coding. I will consider all input I receive before making final decisions.
Last edited by custom.firefox.lady on October 2nd, 2012, 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
rob64rock wrote:1.) The Autocomplete Listbox needs to be 20px or more wider like before on AMH 0.8.3, so the names of the addon's don't get cut off.

The ones that get cut off, show their full name in a tooltip when hovered. But I agree that the listbox should be somewhat wider. For now you can specify:

#aomhilite_ac_menu {width: 18em;}

(or whatever you deem appropriate) in your userContent.css file (not userChrome.css, because Add-ons Mgr. is in-content UI)
rob64rock wrote:2.) Regarding Autocomplete Listbox just being set to open an add-on's Detail View(which I rarely view), I suggest providing Autocomplete Listbox two options: 'Select Add-on in List' or 'Show Add-on Details List', also when the 'Always Remember Hilite' option is disabled and you have the Autocomplete Listbox with my suggested option: 'Select Add-on in List' enabled, it would then show the 'Autocomplete Listbox with button' like before on AMH 0.8.3.

Upon further thought, it should probably only display the selection in detail view if that's what view you are currently in.

I expected that the 'Always Remember Hilite' option should be sufficient for most people, and avoids needing to click a button. It's not difficult to change the option if necessary when performing a specific task. Deciding upon each opening of Add-ons Mgr seemed somewhat an edge case to me. The button is unlikely to come back, but perhaps I can find some other method to ease this use case.

rob64rock wrote:3.) Autocomplete Listbox doesn't work with AOM Userstyle category for those that have Stylish installed.(you may not need or want to include that compatibility, I just figure I would point it out to you since I noticed)

I don't use Stylish and have no idea what 'AOM Userstyle category' is. Could you explain that further?

Thanks for the feedback; sometimes figuring out how something /should/ work is harder than the actual coding. I will consider all input I receive before making final decisions.

1.) I'll wait until the next AMH update.

2.) If you were some what agreeing with me and I missed understood your above post, just the ignore the rest of #2. below...

Regarding the Autocomplete Listbox opening the selected add-on in detail view, when I select add-on name in Autocomplete Listbox I expect it to stay in the AOM add-on list page not go to it's detail view page(which I rarely need to view), by example lets say you have over 25 extensions installed and going the Autocomplete Listbox use to be a faster/better alternative than scrolling down the AOM add-on list page to simply enable, disable, or remove an add-on, but the way you have it now it goes to another page all together when those functions could easily be done from the AOM Add-on list page, it takes even longer if you need to do that to more than one add-on now.

The way I used the Autocomplete Listbox it was faster and quicker on AMH 0.8.3 than it's now on AMH 1.0b1, if you could bring back the original function of Autocomplete Listbox, but provide the option to "Show Add-on Details List" me and probably others that have gotten a custom to how the Autocomplete Listbox worked on AMH 0.8.3 and earlier versions would be very happy and appreciative.

You might want to do some feedback and asks other Fx users how often they go view any of their installed Add-ons "Details View" pages, others I've asked have said very rarely or not at all, since the basic control options are provided AOM Add-on list page, they don't need to go read the add-on description details or have never needed to change how the add-on is updated.

3.)
AOM = Add-on Manager
User Styles category = CSS code= #category-userstyle
custom.firefox.lady

@rob64rock,
#2 Yes, you could say I was somewhat agreeing. My current thoughts are that if you are in list view and use the ac listbox, it should hilite the item in the list and scroll to it (like in 0.8.3). But if you are already in an add-on's detail view, when you select an item from the list, it should display that item in detail view. (That should work the way /you/ want it to - since you aren't starting in detail view. And it just seems more intuitive. But if someone gets to list view and wants to view details, it's only one click on 'More'. If someone gets to details view and wants list view, it's only one click on the category to go to list view.) So I'm just saying I think my new proposal is better than adding another option.

#3 The image was worth a thousand words, thanks. I need to include code for each category I want to support. I think it would be great if I could include the userstyles category. (Stylish is very popular; might even use it myself someday.) I'll look into what is required to add it - probably not until after beta 2, though.

BTW, After considering my response to your rfe about the version numbers, do you still think I should add that option?
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:BTW, After considering my response to your 'rfe' :-k about the version numbers, do you still think I should add that option?

If your referring to this, then Yes, as long as the width of Auto-complete List-box is wider so the version numbers don't get cut off like some of the Add-ons names currently do.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1982363&p=11259887#p11259887
custom.firefox.lady

rob64rock wrote:... as long as the width of Auto-complete List-box is wider so the version numbers don't get cut off like some of the Add-ons names currently do.
(rfe = request for enhancement, basically a feature request)

I plan to make the listbox wider than it is now, yes. But not wide enough to prevent something like:
Preserve Download Modification Timestamp 2011.03.21.22
from getting cut off. As I mentioned previously, the full text (of anything too long) gets shown in a tooltip, and if you /really/ want your listbox wide enough to fit the above in, you can alter it via your userContent.css file.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
rob64rock wrote:... as long as the width of Auto-complete List-box is wider so the version numbers don't get cut off like some of the Add-ons names currently do.
(rfe = request for enhancement, basically a feature request)

I plan to make the listbox wider than it is now, yes. But not wide enough to prevent something like:
Preserve Download Modification Timestamp 2011.03.21.22
from getting cut off. As I mentioned previously, the full text (of anything too long) gets shown in a tooltip, and if you /really/ want your listbox wide enough to fit the above in, you can alter it via your userContent.css file.

I understand it's fine has long has 99% of Add-ons in lists aren't cut OFF, I will be OK with it. The width of Auto-complete List-box of AMH 0.8.3 was just perfect I had only one add-on name cut OFF. If you do provide the option: to "Show Add-on version#s in List" to ensure not to many Add-ons version#s get cut OFF, you can make the Auto-complete List-box width be a little wider than default when the option: to "Show Add-on version#s in List" is enabled.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

Add-on Manager Hilite 1.0b2 Available here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... /versions/

Issues with Add-on Manager Hilite 1.0b2

1.) The Autocomplete Listbox still needs to be a little wider(at least 20% width increase) in my opinion.
Setting it's minimum width to (#aomhilite_ac_menu {width: 19.2em !important;}) should be more than sufficient.

2.) When in add-on list view and detail list view, after selecting an add-on from the Autocomplete Listbox of an add-on that it's name is long to completely show in the Autocomplete Listbox the add-on name looks like this:
Should look like this after selecting:
3.a) When viewing the AOM User Styles category, with the fact that most style names are much longer than add-on names all of my installed style names get cut off:
Even when viewing the AOM User Styles category, setting it's minimum width to (#aomhilite_ac_menu {width: 19.2em !important;}) should be more than sufficient.

3.b) #2 above also occurs in AOM User Styles category.

3.c.) When viewing the AOM User Styles category the Autocomplete Listbox says:
I think it would be more appropriate for it to say:
Or:

Note: Regarding the Autocomplete Listbox width and position, I'm currently using this CSS code:

@namespace html url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document url(about:addons), url(chrome://mozapps/content/extensions/extensions.xul) {

#aomhilite_ac_menu {
    width: 19.2em !important;
    height: 1.6em !important;
    margin-top: 3px !important;}
}

custom.firefox.lady

@rob64rock,

Thanks for posting the link; hadn't gotten around to that.

In reply to issues with beta2:

#1 Ok, the default will be wider in beta 3. The optimal width seems to be dependent upon what extensions/userstyles you have installed. I don't really want it resizing itself when you install a new add-on though. I'm currently leaning towards an option to set the desired width.

#2 Good catch, will be fixed in beta 3.

#3a Another reason for an option to set the desired width, as I just mentioned in #1.

#3b Gets fixed by fix for #2.

#3c Perhaps, but 'add-on' is a generic term that encompasses all of them. If I change it to 'Select User Style', then it would seem like the other categories/panes should also be specified. (e.g. 'Select Extension' etc.) A userstyle is an add-on to a specific add-on (Stylish), but it is still something that gets added-on. And they are being displayed in the 'Add-ons Manager', implying that they are indeed add-ons. I may reconsider making them all specific in the future, especially if others request it, but presently it stays 'Select Add-on'.
custom.firefox.lady

Add-on Manager Hilite 1.0b3 is now available at AMO:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

Fixes an issue that may occur when Add-ons Manager gets reopened via session restore, in addition to improvements as noted in my previous post.

Please report any bugs or further UI issues; thanks to those testing these betas. At least one more beta is planned before final release.
custom.firefox.lady

Addons Manager Hilite 1.0b4 is now available at AMO:

Changes since beta 3:

* Options now include an 'Apply' button, which refreshes the Add-ons Manager page (applying any changes to this extension's options)

* Added hidden (about:config) option:

extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.UIextra
- Set to true, it provides access to the last previously saved hilite in each category (e.g. extensions) by adding it to the top of the autocomplete dropdown list in the format <Add-on name>. This option only has an effect if 'Always Restore Hilite' is OFF and the autocomplete listbox is ON. Takes effect next time the Add-ons Manager is opened. Added as a hidden option, because I consider this an edge case, though it restores lost functionality from version 0.8.3.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Addons Manager Hilite 1.0b4 is now available at AMO:

Changes since beta 3:

* Options now include an 'Apply' button, which refreshes the Add-ons Manager page (applying any changes to this extension's options)

* Added hidden (about:config) option:

extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.UIextra
- Set to true, it provides access to the last previously saved hilite in each category (e.g. extensions) by adding it to the top of the autocomplete dropdown list in the format <Add-on name>. This option only has an effect if 'Always Restore Hilite' is OFF and the autocomplete listbox is ON. Takes effect next time the Add-ons Manager is opened. Added as a hidden option, because I consider this an edge case, though it restores lost functionality from version 0.8.3.

I have been testing it for the past few days now and I haven't seen any problems to mention, and thanks for the new hidden feature pref it works well for my needs.

:?: Are you still considering adding a hidden feature pref to show the Add-on Version #'s with in the drop down list before the final release?
custom.firefox.lady

rob64rock wrote:I have been testing it for the past few days now and I haven't seen any problems to mention, and thanks for the new hidden feature pref it works well for my needs.
Thanks, good to know.

rob64rock wrote: :?: Are you still considering adding a hidden feature pref to show the Add-on Version #'s with in the drop down list before the final release?
That's unlikely to make it into 1.0 final, but under consideration for the following release. And probably not 'hidden'.
custom.firefox.lady

Re: [Ext] Add-ons Manager Hilite

Addons Manager Hilite 1.0rc is now available at AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

Changes since beta 4:
* Restyle/recode autocomplete dropdown to enable display of more items before requiring scrollbar use
* Fixed issue in Seamonkey/Thunderbird: autocomplete dropdown should actually open when clicking its arrow (Workaround for Bug 708520)
* Remove error console debugging messages / Code formatting cleanup

Thanks to all our testers!
rob64rock

Re: [Ext] Add-ons Manager Hilite

Post by rob64rock »

Addons Manager Hilite Version 1.0 is now available at AMO:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/addons-manager-hilite/versions/

Released January 27, 2012
Works with Firefox 7.0 - 12.0a1, SeaMonkey 2.4 - 2.9a1, Thunderbird 7.0 - 12.0a1

* Added support for Appearance (themes) and Plugins pane
* Added support for 'User Styles' pane added by Stylish extension
* Added support for Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
* Replaced the hilite button with Options - choose desired behavior and it happens automatically
* Added option to choose whether to use/display the add-on list dropdown (defaults to off)
* 'Add-on list' dropdown now displays your selection in detailed view if you are currently in detailed view (otherwise hilites selected item in list and scrolls to it)
* 'Add-on list' dropdown now features autocomplete of typed text entry
(Items in dropdown get filtered to those which match entered text; click on item in list at any time or press <enter> once list displays only one entry.)
* Added option to set autocomplete listbox size (Cropped add-on names get shown in tooltip; Increase size if too many get cropped.)
* Added fix for Bug 616440 (aids scrolling in detailed view and prevents that bug from triggering issues in Addons Manager Hilite)
* Alphabetical-only sort now a (visible rather than hidden) option
* Fixed 'cat is null' error (caused issues when Add-ons Manager was reopened via session restore)
* Added hidden (about:config) option: extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.UIextra
- When set to true provides access to the last previously saved hilite in each category (e.g. extensions) by adding it to the top of the autocomplete dropdown list in the format <add-on name="">. This option only has an effect if 'Always Restore Hilite' is OFF and the autocomplete listbox is ON. Takes effect next time the Add-ons Manager is opened.
* Define event handlers using addEventListener instead of setAttribute (AMO validator recommendation)
* Added locale folder (to enable possible future translations)
* Added custom icon
* Drop support for Firefox versions prior to 7 (due to use of inline options)
* Switch license to MPL 2.0

Known issue: When installing/uinstalling a restartless add-on, the optional listbox is not automatically updated. Closing/re-opening Add-ons Manager (or press F5 to refresh it) will update the list.

Note: 'Alphabetical sort' option has no effect on 'User Styles' (Stylish). This is intentional, since Stylish supplies sorting buttons.

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Thanks to all our testers!

Your Welcome!!!
The force is strong with you....Image