[Ext] Status-4-Evar 2017.03.19.12b

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Bluefang

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2014.04.27.21

Post by Bluefang »

Kelderic wrote:Just updated to the latest version and things look good for the most part. Thanks for all the effort!

I think I've found a small bug though. The downloads popup is appearing offscreen when in fullscreen mode.

That might be happening because the download button is hidden when it tries to open the panel. Try opening the panel with S4E Preferences -> Download -> Always show the Download Status button enabled and disabled, and see what happens.

Roland1 wrote:Hi!
Can you update a normal version too, not a "Development Channel"?

There is one. Mozilla just hasn't gotten around to reviewing it, so it's not yet on the front page or available for auto-update.

teiji wrote:I found a bug when using this addon in Firefox 29. Whenever I hover my mouse over the link, it no longer shows the URL on the bottom left of the screen when using this addon. If I disable this addon, the URL appears as it should. Please fix this. Thanks.

What are your settings?
S4E Preferences -> Status -> Show status in
S4E Preferences -> Status -> Show links in

tagline15 wrote:It's just so that the status bar seems to be a few pixels higher than before. Is it possible to get it to the old height? I didn't find an option for it, but maybe it's possible with CSS?

The tool bar should be using the exact same styles that the add-on bar used. But I'll double check.

Ede_123 wrote:Is it possible for Status-4-Evar to re-implement the original status bar? That is not the "add-on bar" which the extensions does a great job at but the very first thing we had in Firefox and that was actually called "status bar"?

The problem is that I had a very, very handy add-on ("Status-bar Scientific Calculator") which still adds a non-movable icon to the good old status-bar. Starting with Firefox 29 this icon is gone and is nowhere to be found. :(

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=598929
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=956731
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... /statusbar

The <statusbar> element has been deprecated for 3 years, and it has been recommended that add-on developers switch to using standard toolbar items.

Thus far I have stayed away from touching this legacy shim, since I agree with Mozilla on this one, and have looked forward to it being removed for a while. I'll consider adding support for it - however doing so would also directly conflict with extensions like "Classic Theme Restorer" and "The Addon Bar (restored)".

Seraph7 wrote:With Firefox 29 this add-on no longer worked so I updated the add-on. Now it displays at the bottom of the browser but no URL displays in the bar when I mouseover a link; it remains blank. Is there something I need to do or will this add-on be updated again?

What are your settings (see above)? Have you tried customizing the toolbars to see if the Status Text widget is even on the toolbar?

Vano wrote:FF29 came with a lot of castrated features, one of them is flexible space element, it's no longer one of the available items during toolbar customization. Any solution for this?

This is a known issue. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=985308

To work around this, S4E automatically adds and removes one from the Status Bar depending on if it has the Status Text widget. To put spacers and springs on other toolbars, the only solution currently is to use "Classic Theme Restorer".

Though it should be possible to 'hack' this with S4E, if you only want a spring.
1) customize the toolbars
2) Show the Status Bar
3) Add Status Text to the Status Bar
4) Remove Status Text from the Status Bar
5) Drag the autogenerated spring to another toolbar
6) Go to 3 and repeat for more springs

Vano wrote:P.S.
Please provide a link in first post to AMO page of this addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/

There is. Click on the enormous underlined "Status-4-Evar" title.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
GAPa

Post by GAPa »

Bluefang wrote:
tagline15 wrote:It's just so that the status bar seems to be a few pixels higher than before. Is it possible to get it to the old height? I didn't find an option for it, but maybe it's possible with CSS?

The tool bar should be using the exact same styles that the add-on bar used. But I'll double check.
That's the same for me. See this picture: http://s9.postimg.org/fwk3cn2nx/s4e.png. As you can see, I also use Classic Theme Restorer, but I don't know if that's important. In any case, it does feel a bit annoying that the status bar is higher than it used to be.
Bluefang wrote:
Ede_123 wrote:Is it possible for Status-4-Evar to re-implement the original status bar? That is not the "add-on bar" which the extensions does a great job at but the very first thing we had in Firefox and that was actually called "status bar"?

The problem is that I had a very, very handy add-on ("Status-bar Scientific Calculator") which still adds a non-movable icon to the good old status-bar. Starting with Firefox 29 this icon is gone and is nowhere to be found. :(

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=598929
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=956731
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... /statusbar

The <statusbar> element has been deprecated for 3 years, and it has been recommended that add-on developers switch to using standard toolbar items.

Thus far I have stayed away from touching this legacy shim, since I agree with Mozilla on this one, and have looked forward to it being removed for a while. I'll consider adding support for it - however doing so would also directly conflict with extensions like "Classic Theme Restorer" and "The Addon Bar (restored)".
I tried downloading that calculator after reading Ede_123's post. It appeared in the bottom right corner and seems to be working perfectly for me. I don't know if that's only because I use the Classic Theme Restorer, though.
Seraph7

Post by Seraph7 »

@Anleck and @Bluefang: Thanks for reply. I had it set to display status text and links in the toolbar but sadly the toolbar doesn't display anything any more and is a dead option. The pop-up and location bar, however, do work. I would have preferred to have kept the tool bar but am happy enough that I now have the links and status displaying.
moztly

Post by moztly »

Status-4-Evar doesn't show up anymore in FF29. I got "The Addon Bar (restored)" to get it to show up again, but it has a problem: After a few minutes of browsing the status's stop displaying. So when you hover your mouse over a link you don't see the url in the status bar.

I don't even know if this is a Status-4-Evar problem, a The Addon Bar (restored) problem or a FF29 problem.

Is there a fix?
Bluefang

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2014.05.03.06

Post by Bluefang »

Version 2014.05.03.06
* Fix download button icon styles (Australis)
* Fix Windows and Linux status bar styles. OS X Still needs work. (Australis)
* Support legacy status bar panel (Australis)

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... /versions/

GAPa wrote:I tried downloading that calculator after reading Ede_123's post. It appeared in the bottom right corner and seems to be working perfectly for me. I don't know if that's only because I use the Classic Theme Restorer, though.

Yes, CTR was doing that. S4E should now support it, and hopefully CTR and S4E don't fight over it too badly. There's an option to disable S4E's version.

Seraph7 wrote:I had it set to display status text and links in the toolbar but sadly the toolbar doesn't display anything any more and is a dead option.

Did you check that the status text is actually on the toolbar?
Menu -> Customize

bludshot wrote:Status-4-Evar doesn't show up anymore in FF29

1. Make sure you are using a compatible version of S4e (2014.04.27.21 or newer)
2. If the status bar was not visible, then Right-Click on the menu button and select "status Bar".
3. If the status bar is visible, check that the status text widget is actually on it.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
dallen50

Post by dallen50 »

Bluefang wrote:Version 2014.05.03.06
* Fix download button icon styles (Australis)
* Fix Windows and Linux status bar styles. OS X Still needs work. (Australis)
* Support legacy status bar panel (Australis)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/versions/">https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... /versions/</a><!-- m -->

GAPa wrote:I tried downloading that calculator after reading Ede_123's post. It appeared in the bottom right corner and seems to be working perfectly for me. I don't know if that's only because I use the Classic Theme Restorer, though.

Yes, CTR was doing that. S4E should now support it, and hopefully CTR and S4E don't fight over it too badly. There's an option to disable S4E's version.

Seraph7 wrote:I had it set to display status text and links in the toolbar but sadly the toolbar doesn't display anything any more and is a dead option.

Did you check that the status text is actually on the toolbar?
Menu -> Customize

bludshot wrote:Status-4-Evar doesn't show up anymore in FF29

1. Make sure you are using a compatible version of S4e (2014.04.27.21 or newer)
2. If the status bar was not visible, then Right-Click on the menu button and select "status Bar".
3. If the status bar is visible, check that the status text widget is actually on it.
Yea!! With the latest version, it works again with v 29!! Thank You so much!
Quicksaver

Post by Quicksaver »

Hi Bluefang,

A user brought to my attention an issue with using S4E together with my The Puzzle Piece add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/).

If you move the "Status text" widget to TPP's bar, it will no longer change its text. From my debugging, sometimes _getters.statusWidgetLabel returns null, and sometimes it returns the object correctly but setting its .value property doesn't update its "value" attribute, so the text never changes from the "Status Text" placeholder.

I've tried looking in your code, but I have no idea why this is happening, so I thought you might know better; TPP doesn't do anything special with the widgets in its toolbar, so it should work the same way as any other toolbar. Let me know if there's something I need to do in TPP to help fix this please.

Btw, yes, I'm trying with the latest S4E you uploaded today.

Luís Miguel
strawbeard

Post by strawbeard »

Version 2014.05.03.06 makes me happy. :D All icons I need are back on FF 29. No need for other "restorer" extensions.
topoldo

Post by topoldo »

I'm using FF 29.0 with (among others) CTR 1.1.8, ForecastFox 2.2.4, S4E 2014.04.27 and DSR 9.1.0. In these conditions everything I need was working fine ie I could see, among others, the Forecastfox icons on my addons bar by using the setting I decided for S4E (if you need their details I can post here).
Then I decided to update to S4E 2014.05.03 version. When I did that Forecastfox icons disappeared from the bar while, for example firebug icon stayed there. So I tried to go back to S4E 2014.04.27 but I was not successfull.
To restore the Forecastfox icons on addons bar I needed to restore a backup of my FF profile I performed when everything was working.
Any clues?

Cheers,
Topoldo
Grg68

Post by Grg68 »

Hi Bluefang,

First, i would like to thank you very much for your work in this excellent and vital for many users extension!

I just updated my locale (Greek) and i noticed a small absence in one string.
This is "toolbarname="Status Bar"" in "australis.xul" which is not localizable.
Probably you forgot to make an entity for it and its access key.
I hope you fix it!

I have also one question.
Could you please clarify to me what exactly is the "Enable legacy status bar panel support"?

Thanks again
Grg
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Grg68 wrote:I just updated my locale (Greek) and i noticed a small absence in one string.
This is "toolbarname="Status Bar"" in "australis.xul" which is not localizable.
Probably you forgot to make an entity for it and its access key.
I hope you fix it!

Oops, I totally forgot about that string. That was 5 months ago when I was hacking together the initial Australis support. Thanks for reminding me.

topoldo wrote:Then I decided to update to S4E 2014.05.03 version. When I did that Forecastfox icons disappeared from the bar while, for example firebug icon stayed there. So I tried to go back to S4E 2014.04.27 but I was not successfull.

Yes, I added support for the legacy status bar panel to S4E. When it is enabled, it grabs the #status-bar and prevents others from moving it. You have 3 options:

1) Use the S4E Status Bar instead of the CTR Add-on Bar.
2) Customize the toolbars and move the Legacy Status Bar item from the S4E Status Bar and put it on the CTR Add-on Bar.
3) Disable S4E's implementation in S4E Preferences -> Add-on Bar -> Enable legacy status bar panel support and restart Firefox.

Quicksaver wrote:If you move the "Status text" widget to TPP's bar, it will no longer change its text. From my debugging, sometimes _getters.statusWidgetLabel returns null, and sometimes it returns the object correctly but setting its .value property doesn't update its "value" attribute, so the text never changes from the "Status Text" placeholder.

S4E lazy loads and caches the DOM elements it interacts with. If the requested element is not available to the document, it will be cached as null.

Also, TPP is removing and re-adding items in the DOM (i.e. the toolbar or its item) outside of the customization view, it's possible that S4E's cached references can become stale or disconnected.

Try calling window.caligon.status4evar.updateWindow() to reinitialize it.
mail123456

Post by mail123456 »

Is there any reason status height in 2014.05.03.06 37 to be 10px less than it was with 2014.02.18.00b? I'm using FF32.0a1 under Linux.

Before (2014.02.18.00b and bellow):

After (2014.05.03.06 37):
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Latest S4E blows the regular download button wether i disable all options in S4E or not even when i rip off the button from any bar. i am back on "status_4_evar-2014.02.18.00"

Firefox 29/30b1, CTR, CSTBB, Status-Bar not visible, all elements in ctraddon-addon-bar
Quicksaver

Post by Quicksaver »

Bluefang wrote:S4E lazy loads and caches the DOM elements it interacts with. If the requested element is not available to the document, it will be cached as null.

Shouldn't it try to update the cached reference at least once if it's cached as null?

Bluefang wrote:Also, TPP is removing and re-adding items in the DOM (i.e. the toolbar or its item) outside of the customization view, it's possible that S4E's cached references can become stale or disconnected.

Half-true, it never moves its customizable widgets as far as I know, and it only moves the toolbar when it is placed somewhere else other than at the bottom. Even doing so, I would think it very weird that your cached references would be lost because of this, as they are live-references, they will point to the node regardless of where it's moved or how many times it's moved (in normal circumstances). Case in point, I can do this:

Code: Select all

gNavToolbox.appendChild(document.getElementById('status4evar-status-bar'))
and the cached references are still valid and will work fine.

One way that I see for S4E to cache a null reference is on startup if the widget is placed in TPP's bar. Since the bar loads asynchronously, when S4E stores the reference, the bar hasn't been created yet. This is because the new CustomizableUI module that comes with Australis provides many more ways to add/move widgets other than through customize mode and its events (see https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/JavaScript_code_modules/CustomizableUI.jsm#Listeners).

For now I can call updateWindow myself in TPP, but that's only a half fix, as I'm sure you'll eventually run into more similar problems as other add-ons begin using CustomizableUI.

Setting listeners for onWidgetAdded/onWidgetAfterDOMChange would be one way to tackle this, another (simpler) would be what I suggested in the previous point, try to update the reference at least once if it's null.

Bluefang wrote:Try calling window.caligon.status4evar.updateWindow() to reinitialize it.

Only works for the previous point. If you enter customize mode, move the status text to TPP's bar, and exit customize mode, the cached reference will be valid (S4E calls updateWindow itself in its aftercustomization listener), but just setting the label's .value property won't work, as it won't change its 'value' attribute.

I have no idea why this happens, but I've run into this problem before (years ago), and at the time the only solution I found was to set both the .value property and the 'value' attribute, to make sure that both are the same.

Edit: sorry, I was wrong about a detail that I mentioned, but the main point is still valid.
Last edited by Quicksaver on May 4th, 2014, 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

S4E has come to the rescue yet again! =D>

I recently upgraded to FF29 (Australis) and was being driven crazy by the ugly and utterly nonsensical big X icon that Mozilla devs had inserted in place of the previous download arrow icon. I tried all sorts of ways to remove or change it, but to no avail.

It made the download status look like an error message (as if something was broken or had gone wrong). I found this needless and regressive icon change really annoying.

I have been using S4E for a long time because I very much rely on my status bar and status notifications, so I was just about to make a plea to Bluefang in the hope that S4E would be able to revert the stupid X icon back to the arrow icon that has always previously been there. However, after reading part of this thread, I realised that the newest version of S4E is for some reason listed under "old versions" on the S4E Add-ons page (rather than being on the main front page). So I upgraded from version 2013.10.31.22 to version 2014.05.03.06 and behold! the wretched X icon was banished and the arrow back was back its rightful place.

I just wanted to say thank you SO much for fixing this!

Request

I do have one feature request that I'd like to put forward for your consideration, please:

Under version 2013.10.31.22 of S4E the Download Status Button Action allowed you to select 'Classic' and 'Panel' in addition to 'Library', 'Firefox Default' and 'Nothing'. The classic option didn't work; it just brought up a completely empty window (probably because the old download manager code has been removed from FF) so I can understand why the Classic option has been removed in the current version of S4E. But, the Panel option did work fine, so I'm not sure why that option has also been removed in the latest version of S4E.

Would it be possible to have the panel option added back, as well as having a 'Window' and 'Tab' option that shows only downloads (i.e. does not use the Library window). It's useful to be able to size and position a dedicated downloads window independently of the Library window that's used for bookmarks, tags etc. Sharing a single window for downloads and bookmarks means that you can never quite optimize the window for one task or the other.

Currently the Library option is the only Status bar button action that works properly in S4E. The 'Firefox Default' option does the same thing as the Classic option used to do in previous S4E versions (i.e. it opens an old style download window which is totally blank).

I'm currently also using the Download Panel Tweak extension, which is fantastic because it allows you to open either a panel, a downloads only window, a downloads only tab, or library window from the download icon in the toolbar. Unfortunately it doesn't work for the download status bar button, so it would be great if S4E could continue to handle the launch actions of the status button, but giving the added choices of 'Panel', 'Window' and 'Tab' in addition to the existing 'Library' and 'Nothing' options.

Many thanks!