[Ext] Status-4-Evar 2017.03.19.12b

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
patrickjdempsey

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2010.10.03.05

Post by patrickjdempsey »

al_9x wrote:I'd like to submit this to Bugzilla. Bluefang, what would be the simplest possible way to dump some text into the bar, that would be equivalent to what you are doing and hopefully repro this. Perhaps some command that can be entered into the error console?

Does it happen with other buttons in Text-only mode?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
myzar74

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2010.10.03.23

Post by myzar74 »

How can i stile the progress bar and download widgets ? i'm using this code for the whole addonbar , but it seems to work for the status widget only

Code: Select all

#addon-bar > *
{
  margin-top: 0px !important;
  background-color: rgb(207, 219, 236) !important;
  background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(rgba(255,255,255,.5), rgb(207,220,236)) !important;
  box-shadow: 0 0 0 1px rgba(255,255,255,.5) inset;
}

irkregent

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2010.09.29.00

Post by irkregent »

Bluefang wrote:
irkregent wrote:I'm not seeing either the "Progress meter" or "status text" items in the Customize Toolbars dialog box, but I don't blame this on your extension. I suspect some other extension is breaking the display of any non-standard items there. All I see are the built-in items, and none from any extensions.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a bug with the profile.

Try
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf
Or disable your extensions one-by-one until things start working
( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox )

That worked--thanks. I thought I had tried that already. Anyway, it's all good now.
kgbme

Post by kgbme »

Ok the general impression is that some years ago, the developing community was doing everything they can and the user base was steadily growing; & now-a-days, there's a (really) strong response from the community which is struggling to keep Firefox alive by developing awesome extensions (NoScript, AdBlock Plus, etc.).. 'n to be fair, awesome themes too.

However to me it seems that we will not be able to keep up with insane developer decisions much longer. Maybe someone will get fired soon, so that we can have our browser back. Thanks Bluefang and hopefully you can find a way to keep this circus going. :)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

nimd4 wrote:However to me it seems that we will not be able to keep up with insane developer decisions much longer. Maybe someone will get fired soon, so that we can have our browser back.

Hmm... I doubt that. Some of the people making "bad" decisions are also the same people making "good" decisions, it's all just a matter of what side of the fence you are sitting on for each change. If you expect Firefox to stay the same forever... it's not going to happen. I think Safari is the only current browser that's managed to keep the same basic features and look since it's inception... and only because of the protests raised when they attempted to go to tabs-on-top with 4.0. Even Microsoft is treading into bold new territory with IE9... but the upside to Firefox has always been and hopefully always will be that the user is always in the driver's seat and can always make the browser do what he wants it to.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Version 2010.10.03.23 October 3, 2010
* Keep the "legacy" status icons over on the far right of the Addon-Bar

I'm seeing a glitch with that.

I prefer to have the ABP icon over on the left, then have the "Status Text" with all the other icons on the right side. I can still move the ABP icon to the left side, but after a restart it is in the extreme right side position. When I right-click the Addon bar and hit Customize it returns to the left side.

I noticed that happening with only the latest ABP development build installed - 1.3a20101002

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Robba

Post by Robba »

This may be related to the fact that the addon toolbar wiget defaults to the bottom right after a re-start, no matter where you put it....
Or, at least it does for me.
thebudman

Post by thebudman »

is it possible to get status in location bar? so i can remove the addonbar completely? I was going to remove it but without your addon there don't seem to be a way to see whats loading anymore.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Version 2010.10.05.23
* Keep the "legacy" status icons over on the far right of the Addon-Bar - TAKE 2

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/235283/

See if that helps Ed.

thebudman wrote:is it possible to get status in location bar? so i can remove the addonbar completely? I was going to remove it but without your addon there don't seem to be a way to see whats loading anymore.

I'd rather not.

A) It's beyond the scope and intent of this extension
B) I don't like the mechanism Firefox uses to show the URL in the location bar (which is the same mechanism I'd be using)

My recommendation is to put the "Status Text" widget next to the location bar, then use the "Max status text length" preference to make sure it doesn't get too long.

nimd4 wrote:However to me it seems that we will not be able to keep up with insane developer decisions much longer. Maybe someone will get fired soon, so that we can have our browser back. Thanks Bluefang and hopefully you can find a way to keep this circus going. :)

To be honest, I don't have a problem with most of the design decisions that Mozilla had made. Sure, there are a few that tick me off, but those usually come down to personal style choices.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
thebudman

Post by thebudman »

Bluefang wrote:
thebudman wrote:is it possible to get status in location bar? so i can remove the addonbar completely? I was going to remove it but without your addon there don't seem to be a way to see whats loading anymore.

I'd rather not.

A) It's beyond the scope and intent of this extension
B) I don't like the mechanism Firefox uses to show the URL in the location bar (which is the same mechanism I'd be using)

My recommendation is to put the "Status Text" widget next to the location bar, then use the "Max status text length" preference to make sure it doesn't get too long.

Thanks anyway bluefang I'm sure in time someone else will make an addon specifically for that as i know your addon is meant to get back statusbar functionality rather then adding functionality to the address bar so i understand that completely. I just may have to keep that old bar around for a little while longer but i may try your suggestion first to see how it plays out.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Bluefang wrote:Version 2010.10.05.23
* Keep the "legacy" status icons over on the far right of the Addon-Bar - TAKE 2

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/235283/

See if that helps Ed.

Yes, it does - perfect now. Thank you so very much.

I guess I got spoiled by the Organize Status Bar extension over the last few Firefox versions.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Thanks for the update!
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

al_9x wrote:
Bluefang wrote:So try disabling hardware acceleration (Options -> Advanced -> General) and see if that helps after a restart.

Yes, it is acceleration related. Did you try with acceleration on? Was it a VM or real? Did it have a DX 9 10 11 video card?

I've tried it with Direct2d and DirectWrite both enabled and disabled. Same results both times. This is a native version of Win7 64bit.

Graphics

Adapter Description     - ATI Mobility FireGL V5700
Vendor ID               - 1002
Device ID               - 9591
Adapter RAM             - 512
Adapter Drivers         - atiumd64 atidxx64 atiumdag atidxx32 atiumdva atiumd6a atitmm64
Driver Version          - 8.641.1.1000
Driver Date             - 8-24-2009
Direct2D Enabled        - true
DirectWrite Enabled     - true
GPU Accelerated Windows - 1/1 Direct3D 9

I'd like to submit this to Bugzilla.
Go right ahead.

what would be the simplest possible way to dump some text into the bar, that would be equivalent to what you are doing and hopefully repro this. Perhaps some command that can be entered into the error console?

Mouse over a link?

Or allow web pages to change the status and use

javascript:void(window.status="Blah")

In the location bar.

Also, please don't PM me with links to posts you've already made. I know they're there. As I mentioned, I don't boot into Windows a whole lot. And this is pretty low priority because it's not actually preventing the extension from working.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

Bluefang wrote:I've tried it with Direct2d and DirectWrite both enabled and disabled. Same results both times. This is a native version of Win7 64bit.

You appear to be referring to windows acceleration settings? I was asking if you tried with Fx acceleration on, since you mentioned you turn it off ("I keep Firefox's hardware acceleration disabled"), that is the one that manifests the bug.

Bluefang wrote:
al_9x wrote:what would be the simplest possible way to dump some text into the bar, that would be equivalent to what you are doing and hopefully repro this. Perhaps some command that can be entered into the error console?

Mouse over a link?

Or allow web pages to change the status and use

javascript:void(window.status="Blah")

In the location bar.

I am trying to take your extension out of the equation for Bugzilla reporting purposes. Obviously I know how to repro with S4E. The error console eval box can call gecko api, can you suggest a command that will dump some text into the add-on bar in a manner equivalent to how S4E does it?

Bluefang wrote:Also, please don't PM me with links to posts you've already made. I know they're there. As I mentioned, I don't boot into Windows a whole lot. And this is pretty low priority because it's not actually preventing the extension from working.

Failure to use native text rendering is possibly a serious Fx bug that might manifest in other contexts, haven't used Fx4 much so don't know. I am hoping to get it reported and fixed before it ships. Please excuse the impatience, I thought you might have missed the questions.
Bluefang

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2010.10.05.23

Post by Bluefang »

You appear to be referring to windows acceleration settings? I was asking if you tried with Fx acceleration on, since you mentioned you turn it off ("I keep Firefox's hardware acceleration disabled"), that is the one that manifests the bug.

No, I was referring to Firefox. It uses Direct2D and DirectWrite to do hardware acceleration. They can be enabled and disabled via about:config.

I am trying to take your extension out of the equation for Bugzilla reporting purposes. Obviously I know how to repro with S4E. The error console eval box can call gecko api, can you suggest a command that will dump some text into the add-on bar in a manner equivalent to how S4E does it?

If you were to do it through the Error Console, you'd have to programmaticly create the toolbaritem (and label) and insert it on the toolbar.

var doc = Components.classes['@mozilla.org/appshell/window-mediator;1'].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIWindowMediator).getMostRecentWindow("navigator:browser").document; var addon_bar = doc.getElementById("addon-bar"); var tbitem = doc.createElement("toolbaritem"); var tblabel = doc.createElement("label"); tbitem.appendChild(tblabel); addon_bar.appendChild(tbitem); tblabel.value = "blarg";

But, to be honest, it would be a whole lot easier to use the extension in the bug report, and there is not a problem with doing that.

Failure to use native text rendering is possibly a serious Fx bug that might manifest in other contexts, haven't used Fx4 much so don't know. I am hoping to get it reported and fixed before it ships. Please excuse the impatience, I thought you might have missed the questions.

Yes, but it doesn't look like a problem with my extension. Plus, there are a number of known problems with Firefox's hardware acceleration already ( viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1984355 ). Just file a bug and use the extension as an example. If it does turn out to be something I'm doing, then I'll fix it. However, since I can't replicate the problem, and I rarely use Windows, there's not really much I can do until someone tells me what's wrong.