[Ext] Status-4-Evar 2017.03.19.12b

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Quicksaver

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2014.02.18.00b

Post by Quicksaver »

Bluefang wrote:Both The Puzzle Piece and Classic Theme Restorer add a toolbar called "Add-on Bar". Whether or not they move the legacy statusbar compatibility shim back onto the bottom toolbar is irrelevant. Plus, extension developers should have stopped using that long ago [1][2][3].

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/XUL/statusbar
[2] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=598929
[3] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=956731

I know this (I filed bug 956731 even). But the fact is many (many!) add-ons still use that status bar shim. When it is removed in Australis, and users start looking for ways to get *the* Status Bar back, they might be confused by your add-on, which adds *a* Status Bar item in the toolbars menu.

You're using the name of something that already exists, for something added in S4E. It is precisely the part where those add-ons add back the statusbar shim that is relevant! Users will have "Status Bar" in their browsers refer to two very different things: a Status Bar menu item to toggle S4E's toolbar on the bottom, and the Status Bar options in each corresponding add-ons preferences and in customize mode.

I'm sorry to hear that you disagree, but I'm positive there will be many cases where users will be confused with all of this.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Semi-OT:
Bluefang wrote:Plus, extension developers should have stopped using that long ago [1][2][3].

Just because such a suggestion is mentioned in the dev-wiki, doesn't mean that authors will follow it.
Mozilla still has been accepting updates and new addons exclusively using the statusbar and addonbar(?) ever since the launch of version 4. People need a hard cut-off date, otherwise nothing changes.

Also: How is the transition-routine for pre-Australis-button-placement to Australis-button-placement going to work without the statusbar/addonbar-shim? They'd have to keep it in until at least Firefox 31, when the ESR-people are being switched to the statusbar-/addonbarless Australis-version.
gone
Aris

Post by Aris »

Bluefang wrote:...
Both The Puzzle Piece and Classic Theme Restorer add a toolbar called "Add-on Bar". Whether or not they move the legacy statusbar compatibility shim back onto the bottom toolbar is irrelevant. Plus, extension developers should have stopped using that long ago [1][2][3].

The whole purpose of CTR is to restore removed, disabled or hidden items.
Regardless of what Mozilla is telling on their developer page(s) about statusbar and addon-bar, both are still kept inside Firefox (Australis) code for now using #status-bar and #addon-bar ids.

Like Quicksaver I would suggest to rename S4Es bottom toobar to 'S4E Toolbar' or similar, so people don't mistake it for the status bar item anymore.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Aris wrote:Like Quicksaver I would suggest to rename S4Es bottom toobar to 'S4E Toolbar' or similar, so people don't mistake it for the status bar item anymore.

Kind of a nit.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Quicksaver wrote:... but I'm positive there will be many cases where users will be confused with all of this.

Yeah, because this is all about the users, right?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Aris wrote:Like Quicksaver I would suggest to rename S4Es bottom toobar to 'S4E Toolbar' or similar, so people don't mistake it for the status bar item anymore.

For over 3 decades, in every windowed OS ever created, the bar at the bottom of an application that shows status text has been called the "status bar". Mozilla can rebrand, repurpose, remove, or do whatever they want with it, but that's what the thing is called. Extensions should NOT have even been offering the "option" to use the statusbar shim after Firefox 4, and the confusion over what that option even means already exists and has existed since Firefox 4. It was a bad decision to offer that option then, and now it's a bad decision that is going to have repercussions unless authors update their extensions and remove all of that legacy code.

This whole situation was BTW entirely predictable over 4 years ago. Many of us raised fears over Mozilla leaving the shim in, and it's somewhat baffling to me that so many extensions authors decided to keep the legacy code while also updating for the new style.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Quicksaver

Post by Quicksaver »

patrickjdempsey wrote:For over 3 decades, in every windowed OS ever created, the bar at the bottom of an application that shows status text has been called the "status bar".

Half true. The bar that shows the status text has been called the status bar yes, and it has been *typically* placed at the bottom (this is not a hard rule).

Neither the status bar added by Firefox, or the status bar added by S4E, are the concept status bar you refer to. Firefox's is just a shim for compatibility with older coded add-ons, so they can still be used in newer versions; it has no actual "status" parts what-so-ever, but it *is* called status bar for tradition because it did have those in the past, even the DOM element itself is called "statusbar".

S4E's is a normal toolbar, and includes customizable widgets that emulate a status bar (which is the point of the add-on I believe). To your point, if I were to move those widgets to the nav-bar, then that would become the actual *status* bar.

patrickjdempsey wrote:Extensions should NOT have even been offering the "option" to use the statusbar shim after Firefox 4, and the confusion over what that option even means already exists and has existed since Firefox 4. It was a bad decision to offer that option then, and now it's a bad decision that is going to have repercussions unless authors update their extensions and remove all of that legacy code.

I agree! But the fact remains that many add-ons still use that shim. And for the more "casual" user, here's what they'll experience:

1) Use any add-on that uses the shim, together with S4E
2) Update to Firefox 29 with Australis when it's released
2.1) "Where're my buttons??" (the ones in *the* status bar)
3) "Wait, there's an option there saying Status Bar. Uff, that was scary for a moment."
4) Enable S4E's toolbar
5) "Well... Huh? Where's my stuff?"

To which they will proceed to complain to either Mozilla (not their fault as you say, and who probably won't have a clue where that "Status Bar" entry came from most likely), S4E's developer (who'll have to explain the difference between "Status Bar" and "Status Bar") and to the add-on in question's developer (of course it's their responsibility here, but some less informed users might think it's really S4E's toolbar "not working properly", so this will likely be their last option unless someone directs them there; and lets remember many of these older add-ons aren't even being actively developed anymore, hence they're still using the status bar).

RobertJ wrote:Kind of a nit.

I disagree completely.

Frank Lion wrote:Yeah, because this is all about the users, right?

I read this as if it was written sarcastically, I apologize if that's not the case and you were being sincere. But yeah, it's about the users. Personally I don't even use S4E, and it doesn't affect my add-on's working at all. So, in all honesty, I couldn't care less about it. I mean no disrespect, only that whatever decision is taken doesn't affect me in the slightest, I was making a sincere constructive suggestion.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Quicksaver wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:Yeah, because this is all about the users, right?

I read this as if it was written sarcastically, I apologize if that's not the case

No need to apologise, you read it right. You are supposed to be an extension author, if you have a problem with another extension author then you PM them and discuss it.

What you don't do is come on to their Support thread and dash about, like a man with his hair on fire, and disrupt their thread. It's high time you learnt the ethics of how developers work around here.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Quicksaver

Post by Quicksaver »

Frank Lion wrote:No need to apologise, you read it right. You are supposed to be an extension author, if you have a problem with another extension author then you PM them and discuss it.

What you don't do is come on to their Support thread and dash about, like a man with his hair on fire, and disrupt their thread. It's high time you learnt the ethics of how developers work around here.

Everyone is having a discussion about the pros and cons of the name of S4E's toolbar. It is apparently a needed discussion as there seem to be very divergent opinions (I'm not alone in mine, and neither is Bluefang), and as a fellow developer, which you pointed out I am, I'm sure Bluefang appreciates any input about his add-on.

The only one disrupting this thread is you, by attacking me personally. I came to this thread because it is the (only!) method for contacting the developer, as is listed in https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/. I, along with everyone else, am discussing his add-on in the manner the developer saw fit to do so.

I am taking your advice, and sending you a personal message to discuss this personal matter between us, and let you know that I will be ignoring you from now on, as you clearly have an high-and-almighty need for attention, regardless of the subject at hand or if you actually have anything to contribute to the discussion.

Oh, sweet irony, you disabled PM's in the time I was writing my message. Boy, if I only cared... :)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Quicksaver wrote:Everyone is having a discussion about the pros and cons of the name of S4E's toolbar

Sunshine, don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining....it is a discussion that you started.

Btw if you want to know what irony is - writing to someone to tell them you are ignoring them, would be a pretty good definition.
Shokushu

Post by Shokushu »

Bluefang wrote:By 'latest version' do you mean 2013.10.31.22 or 2014.02.18.00b?

S4E does not have any styles that affect the tab bar, or any toolbar items that do not belong to S4E. Did you place any other toolbar items on the tab bar?

The latest version that's available from the Mozilla add-ons page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... us-4-evar/

I didn't place any items on the tab bar.
Without S4E installed, the "New Tab"-button looks as it should. After installing S4E and restarting Firefox, the "New Tab"-button is suddenly floating a bit above the tab bar (see my screenshot).
avada

Post by avada »

Hello!

I use urlbar linkification all the time. But the addons for it are getting a tad outdated and also conflict with S4A badly. Would it be possible to have a feature like that feature in S4E?
brent_th

Post by brent_th »

Hi thanks for the great addon. I have used it since Firefox 4.0 and put the urlbar on the statusbar. Since Firefox 28 the urlbar is no longer movable, is it possible to make urlbar movable in the new version of Status-4-Evar. Thanks again.
-ck-

Post by -ck- »

Using FF 28 and this morning I noticed something very bad happened that I cannot seem to fix.

Suddenly all the extension icons are shoved to the left and the status text and download, progress, etc. are completely missing.

It was fine last night.

Tried rolling back to a profile backup from 48 hours ago and strangely it has the same problem.

I've never seen this bizarre behavior before and not sure how to fix it.

Actually there are even a few things missing now like I keep stylish down there and it's gone and a couple others.

update: alright well just had to spend half an hour rebuilding the layout of the addon bar, what reset it though?
LinoX

Post by LinoX »

Because it's ff 29, not 28 (updated a couple of days ago)
The 29 beta 1 removed the addon bar and status-4-evar doesn't work anymore.