[Ext] Status-4-Evar 2017.03.19.12b

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
MaDJiK

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2015.11.16.23

Post by MaDJiK »

Can someone try to have Header Spy please? I don't know how I can test why it's not in the status bar anymore.
MaDJiK wrote:Hello,

I like the extension Header Spy https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/header-spy/ which is old but still woks until Firefox 44 because of you. :)
But since Firefox 45, I'm very sad to have an ugly replacement because the icon of Header Spy does not show anymore in the status bar. :(

Can you help me? What changed in Firefox 45? Why other icons are still in the status bar and not this one?
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

MaDJiK wrote:Can someone try to have Header Spy please? I don't know how I can test why it's not in the status bar anymore.
Well, with the F12 key, open the development tools, and then click on the netware tab.
Some part of the info ?

You can get more in a new tab with the web development extension, By clicking on the "Infos" button you obtain a menu, that contains "HTTP Headers" which opens a new tab that seems as what you look for, but on another interface.

For the moment being I do not practice Mozilla development forums a lot, this would be the right place to ask about some more.
MaDJiK

Post by MaDJiK »

Gloops wrote:Well, with the F12 key, open the development tools, and then click on the netware tab.
Some part of the info ?
Sure, but this addon had all in a tool tip. I find an ugly replacement but I still miss it! :cry:

I don't understand why other addons keep showing in the status bar and not this one. There are no more status bar officially so Status4Evar is the only place I know to ask.
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

This would require an update of Header Spy to set the information available. It writes it somewhere but where you cannot catch it, as that place is no more visible in Firefox. The same thing happened for the status text, and the information is transferred by Status4Evar.
I could install Header Spy, but got no contextual menu on the status bar, except the selection of the bars to make visible.
For the status bar, I could find the status text in the elements proposed by the Firefox personalization window, and put it on a toolbar.
But for Header Spy I saw nothing of the sort in the personalization Window. The options dialog box of the extension does not help a lot it seems.
I guessed it could appear like that, this is why I first spoke about other solutions.
If you succeed in encouraging the author to actualize his extension, then maybe ...I understand the hope about the S4E developer, but he would have either to redo the whole work of getting the network information, or at least getting some info from the author of Header Spy, and maybe the sources.
This is the problem with a navigator that evolves so much : if it was mandatory for the extensions authors to keep on getting their extensions up-to-date, maybe we should get a dozen extensions and ... "too bad !" about the others.
Sorry. Maybe some extension developer some day has an similar idea.
In the meantime, I am afraid one solution you could have would be to begin developing extensions.
Benjamin Markson

Post by Benjamin Markson »

CT71 wrote:Hopefully someone can help. I just updated from Firefox 41 to 48 and now my status bar height and one of the icons in it is twice the size as before. I've tried every last thing I can think of.....S4E, Classic Theme Restorer, Firefox Customize.......nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?
In the past, with Stylish, I've used this:

Code: Select all

#status4evar-status-bar .toolbarbutton-icon
    {
        height: 16px !important;
        width: 16px !important;
    }
...to make the status bar icons 'conform' to a specific size. Having said that, currently my Status-4-Evar status bar is behaving itself without any modifications.

The only way I know to diagnose these little annoyances is with the DOM Inspector... you may prefer to just apply the modification to the one icon that is misbehaving.

Ben.
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.
MaDJiK

Post by MaDJiK »

Gloops wrote:If you succeed in encouraging the author to actualize his extension, then maybe ...
I already try to comment and write to him, but no answer.

one solution you could have would be to begin developing extensions.
:mrgreen:

Thanks for you time. :)
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

For sure Benjamin, this is the idea, and the first line is to be replaced with the id of the Self Destructing Cookies icon, that CT71 got (without forgetting the # character in front of it).
By me it also does not need that, this is why I proposed to uninstall and reinstall Self Destructing Cookies, as it is quick and can save the work of writing a style :)
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

MaDJiK wrote:I already try to comment and write to him, but no answer.
I wrote a model for Word that I updated at the following version.
One year later I had to do it again (with each time a brand new language), and eventually a new version appears every two years (even if the language is more stable this time), so now I do the job by hand.

Apparently, it is the same with Firefox, so I can understand that some developers update their extensions, and some do not.
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

MaDJiK wrote:Can someone try to have Header Spy please? I don't know how I can test why it's not in the status bar anymore.
I think I found something interesting.
In the address bar, type about:config
Promise.
In the filter field, type header_spy.
Double click on "extensions.header_spy.show_tools_menu_item" so that it displays true rather than false.
After that, have a look down the Tools menu.

_
Oh, sorry for the false hope, I realize this only displays the configuration dialog box of the extension.
Last edited by Gloops on October 9th, 2016, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
CT71

Post by CT71 »

Appreciate the answers. For now, I'll live with moving the icon or reinstalling, using Stylish is beyond my capabilities.
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

CT71 wrote:Appreciate the answers. For now, I'll live with moving the icon or reinstalling, using Stylish is beyond my capabilities.
Come on, it is not that complicated, You need an HTML file on your disk, double click on it to open it in Firefox, then click on the Stylish icon, on "Add a style for "(localhost), and then we already told you what to put in the file.
When saving the style it is applied.
MaDJiK

Post by MaDJiK »

No problem, thanks again Gloops.

Stylish is not an obligation, put that in userChrome.css, it saves an add-on.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Gloops wrote:
MaDJiK wrote:I already try to comment and write to him, but no answer.
I wrote a model for Word that I updated at the following version.
One year later I had to do it again (with each time a brand new language), and eventually a new version appears every two years (even if the language is more stable this time), so now I do the job by hand.

Apparently, it is the same with Firefox, so I can understand that some developers update their extensions, and some do not.
Not quite, Firefox is updated every 6 weeks these days. I think you can see why many extension authors don't follow every single move Firefox makes.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

Apparently, you do not have to hang on too quickly with Header Spy.
This morning, after having restarted Firefox, on my download bar I see "Server: *...", and if I put my mouse on that, I see the table with Request and Response. I get "* none *" on each line, but that can be a question of parameters, I am not sure what you are supposed to put after SERVER in the request. Or, maybe the point is that the request is correct but my firewall does not let Header Spy get what it wants ? I did not dare letting the system without protection too much time.
The problem remains that there is nobody to tell what to do so that it works, so I got that by chance. But, the extension runs, if there is nothing in conflict with it.
In the Firefox personalization window, I get a grey hashed rectangle marked "Server:...", with the tooltip "héritage barre d'état" (statusbar heritage) that is on my download bar but that I can put somewhere else.

What you can do is to create a new Firefox profile, install Header Spy in it, and wait ...
Maybe the point was a certain number of restarts of Firefox ?
It is possible that something I did yesterday is important, but I cannot tell you what.

__
Nota : Status4Evar is installed in French, and Header Spy is installed in English.
The french language for the tooltip in the personalization is a tip that maybe Status4Evar plays a role in getting the display of Header Spy and putting it where you want.
To be read with carefulness (Firefox is installed in French, too).
MaDJiK

Post by MaDJiK »

Gloops wrote:I get "* none *" on each line, but that can be a question of parameters
Yes, if I remember well, it's pretty empty by default.

I try with Firefox Portable 48, only Status4Evar and Header Spy, nothing. On my main Firefox (47 because I hate the new URL bar), it's still activated but nothing too.
Do you change something to see it?

I'm sure this is a small problem, because the extension is old and something may have changed in the status bar. I'm French too. :)