[ext] Add-ons Manager Dialog for FF4 (no restart*)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
patrickjdempsey

Re: [ext] Add-ons Manager Dialog for FF4 (no restart*)

Post by patrickjdempsey »

So the double-click it requires to get to the details box will now be a single click? This isn't unique in the UI, they also did this with the entire background in Tab Groups and it proved to be confusing, so they reverted back to double-click to launch a new tab. There is no room for "stray clicks" or "focus clicks" (clicking your mouse somewhere to change the focus from one window to another, or from one part of the window to another, something that exists because keyboard users need "focus" to drive Tab key navigation).
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Post by avatar.ds »

Yep, single click - that's how it is going to be when this bug lands. It's obvious from the dicussions in that bug that even the devs are confused about the UI logic this change tries to achieve and how it is poorly thought out without any usability-related discussion, based on a 'feeling', contrary to reason (which is even admitted in the bug request).

As you mention Tab Groups - another gripe! An excellent innovation for the New Firefox, sure is. Except I bet most people aren't going to care - because they will never find it under that smallish cryptic button. Talk about UI direction...

Oh, well :)
patrickjdempsey

Actually the button has been removed from the primary UI because it's not considered to be ready for mainstream use.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Hitchhiker427

Post by Hitchhiker427 »

This is a great add-on. I'm having a little trouble with it, though. It doesn't seem to remember the window size after closing (and it opens into a rather large window), so I have to re-size it every time. It'd be great if you could fix that. Thanks!

Post by avatar.ds »

Hitchhiker427 wrote:This is a great add-on. I'm having a little trouble with it, though. It doesn't seem to remember the window size after closing (and it opens into a rather large window), so I have to re-size it every time. It'd be great if you could fix that. Thanks!

Yes, the window is currently forced to a certain minimum size. This must be quite an ugly fix, but without it the result can be much worse because the Add-on Manager in FF4 is designed around a web-page widget rather than a dialog widget and therefore certain logic inherent in dialog windows is missing from its default behavior.

I'm currently not dedicating a lot of time to this experiment but I will see how this situation can be improved so that the size and position of the dialog can be automatically remembered. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jack Black

Post by Jack Black »

Besides :
  • a few missing icons for some add-ons (ones that use an icon similar to the default "puzzle icon" Image, such as the Java Console) and no icon at all for the plug-ins Image,
  • the ineffectiveness of the personas from the discovery pane,
everything is working as advertised (not talking about the scarce and non-show-stopping errors from the error console).

Congratulations, avatards. =D>

Post by avatar.ds »

Jack, thanks for the tips. The personas issue is definitely something I need to look at.

The "missing" default icon was a deliberate choice in the restyling of the Add-on Manager that I made for the dialog, as I think it is better than spamming AOM with the boring and generic default icon. But the whole re-style thing will eventually need to go away because it interferes with custom themes/styles, and is not part of this add-on's core concern.
city_zen

Post by city_zen »

Thank you, avatar.ds for this great and not-so-little add-on.
Unfortunately, I'm writing to report a bug that I think hasn't been mentioned before: the left items ("Get add-ons", Themes", etc.) sometimes get truncated in non-English languages if the translated text is longer than the English one. In my particular case, the first item gets truncated in Spanish (my locale is es-AR). In Spanish, "Get add-ons" (I'm guessing it's like that in English) becomes "Obtener complementos". Needless to say, it's much longer and it gets truncated at about the second "m" of "complementos" :(
I'm guessing this is because the width of the left section is hard-coded instead of calculated from the maximum width of the text. I don't even know if this can be fixed and unfortunately my knowledge of coding is pretty limited, so I rely on you for a solution.
Please take a look at it if you can and let me know if I can help you with the testing of possible solutions.
Thanks!
LeppeRMessiaH

Post by LeppeRMessiaH »

Nice addon but I have one big problem with it: sometimes the interface of the browser doesn't respond... I mean it reacts to mouse over and I can type in both the adress and search bar but when I hit "Go" / Enter there is absolutely no response.
sterno66

Post by sterno66 »

i would like to see the color of the text in the names of the extension changed from black to white so if you have a dark theme installed like i do you can read the names :mrgreen:
peter.reisio

Post by peter.reisio »

Yeah, so you're my hero.
patrickjdempsey

sterno66 wrote:i would like to see the color of the text in the names of the extension changed from black to white so if you have a dark theme installed like i do you can read the names :mrgreen:

That would be an issue with the theme, kindly ask the developer if they will support this extension.
Excelsis

Post by Excelsis »

Doesn't seem to work properly with the Firefox 5 betas nor the 7 nightlies. I have to disable/enable it everytime I restart Firefox to get it to work. And the little styling touches its supposed to apply dont work at all.

Any chance of seeing this updated? Especially since Fx5 is right around the corner.
fred_gaou

Post by fred_gaou »

Conflict between Add-ons Manager Dialog for FF4 1.0b1pre and Extension list dumper 1.15.1 on Firefox 4.0.1 (WIN XP SP3)

If Add-ons Manager Dialog is enabled, Extension list dumper opens in new tab instead of new dialog and can't display extensions list.
sterno66

Post by sterno66 »

need 5.0 compatibility