[ext] Add-ons Manager Dialog for FF4 (no restart*)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.

Re: [ext] Add-ons Manager Dialog for FF4 (no restart*)

Post by avatar.ds »

Pre-release version 1.2a1 now available at AMO (click link in my signature, go to bottom of page, expand development channel pane, and install the non-reviewed version). It fixes compatibility with Firefox 12 (bug 722101) as well as other minor things. Works with Firefox 9+.

UPDATE:
Sorry, this version will not work properly under FF 9.

Post by avatar.ds »

Version 1.2 now available for automatic update from AMO.

- Workaround for Firefox 12 crash bug 722101.
- Prevent Get Add-ons Pane to be the initial active tab (again!), improving performance.
- Prevent instances of Add-ons Manager Dialog opened from Firefox Options Dialog to close together with the latter.
jdavis

Post by jdavis »

Hi --

I really like your Add-ons Manager Dialog Returns version 1.2, but it breaks Addons Manager Hilite 1.0 by custom.firefox.lady which can be found at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e/?src=api. She is aware of the problem, so I wanted to bring it to your attention also. I am running Fx 10.0.1 on WinXP SP3.

Thanks.

Jim

Post by avatar.ds »

jdavis:

Thanks for this information. These two extensions are incompatible indeed. I looked briefly through Addons Manager Hilite's code and it appears it's currently designed to be confined to a browser window and will not detect when Addons Manager is rendered in a dialog. I'm afraid there's not much that can be reasonably done to improve my add-on in this respect, but I can help investigate which changes are required in Addons Manager Hilite's code in order for it to properly detect and take care of the dialog.
jdavis

Post by jdavis »

@avatar.ds

Thank you.

Post by avatar.ds »

jdavis:
You're welcome! I hacked a small patch for the Addons Manager Hilite which works for me but I didn't find a better way to submit it other than to notify add-on authors on their support forum. So when they are ready to accept and include it in a public beta the problem should be solved.
jdavis

Post by jdavis »

@avatar.ds

That is great news. Now both addons can coexist in peace.

Thanks very much.

Jim

Post by avatar.ds »

Version 1.2.2a0 adds experimental compatibility with Addons Manager Hilite extension. It is available as a beta from the "Development Channel" section on the AMO page. Note that beta versions will only be automatically updated to other beta versions, but not new, fully reviewed add-on releases.
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

Many thanks for all your time/effort in dealing with this incompatibility. Sorry for the previous lack of response (due to illness).

custom.firefox.lady
(author of Addons Manager Hilite)

Post by avatar.ds »

custom.firefox.lady:

No problem, hope your feeling well now!
jdavis

Post by jdavis »

@avatar.ds

Thank you so much for that patch. Your addon and Addons Manager Hilite are now compatible.

However, I noticed that now several of the favicons next to the names of the various addons have disappeared. I disabled your addon and went back to the default Addons Manager and the favicons returned right away. FYI. Using Fx 10.0.2.

Thanks again for the fix.

Jim

Post by avatar.ds »

jdavis:

Check if the custom style is enabled and disable it to get the icons back. To do that, enable the add-on, open the dialog, go to "gear" pop-up menu and deselect "Restrained Style". The custom style does not display icons for add-ons the don't supply their own. The style is disabled by default so perhaps you might enable it accidentally or out of curiosity.

If this is not due the custom style then there must be another problem.
jdavis

Post by jdavis »

@avatar.ds

Yes, Sir. That did it. Now it's working fine.

Thanks very much.

Jim
Jack Black

Small glitch returned

Post by Jack Black »

avatar.ds, it looks like the "last selected tab" bug we lengthily discussed on page 3 (and that you had fixed in a subsequent release) has returned, at least partially (thankfully you can no longer have the dialog get stuck): the Dialog always displays the last selected pane (besides, of course, the "Get Add-ons" one), no matter if it is called from another add-on (e.g. Scriptish).

For example, if you open up the dialog, select the Plug-In pane, close the dialog, then click on Scriptish's "Manage User Scripts...", the dialog will open on the Plug-In pane instead of the User Scripts one.
The same error occurs after you restart Firefox following an add-on update (the dialog stays on an empty "Available Updates" pane).

//edit: (v1.2.1 tested on WIN 7 x86 with Firefox 10.0.2).

Post by avatar.ds »

Jack Black:

I checked this with Stylish and I see what you're talking about. The other addons can't communicate their tab selection when requesting the Addons Manager when it's in the dialog.

I vaguely remember that I removed some code from the last version that can affect this because I thought it was redundant. I'll fix this.

Thanks for reporting.